    she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
    in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
    there a way in windows to get more info?

    Rosco, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Rosco wrote:
    > A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
    > reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
    > she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
    > in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
    > there a way in windows to get more info?

    Did you install the drivers for the motherboard? Is there any device you
    know of not showing up in device manager, such as sound, network, modem,
    display, USB, on and on?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Rosco

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rosco wrote:
    > A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
    > reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and
    > all, she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown
    > device in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it
    > is. Is there a way in windows to get more info?

    There are 'survey' tools that tell you a lot about your hardware, such
    as Belarc and Everest.

    You can also get some information from the BIOS POST screen .

    You can look at the mobo and its docs and the installed cards and figure
    out which devices you are supposed to have and which ones you have in
    the system display. You can look at her CDs and floppies and manuals
    for what kinds of devices she has 'stuff' for.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Rosco

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:18:46 GMT, Rosco <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
    >reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
    >she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
    >in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
    >there a way in windows to get more info?

    Download "Unknown Devices " to determine what it is.
    Also download the latest pci update. The link to it on the below site.
    http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

    Once you figured out what the device is, use the info to search for the drivers at
    http://www.driverguide.com/

    Click on the member login link, login as:
    Login: drivers
    Password: all

    Karl`s Driver Site http://www.karldavis.com/
    Also, a http://www.google search can usually comes up with the drivers.

    Unk, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Rosco

    Ron Martell Guest

    Rosco <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine brought her win98se box to me needing help. She
    >reformated using the win98se cd so she lost everyhing, drivers and all,
    >she has all the drivers back but one. It's showing as an unknown device
    >in the Device Manager but niether of us can figure out what it is. Is
    >there a way in windows to get more info?

    Delete the item from Device Manager and reboot the computer.

    Does Windows detect new hardware? What information does it provide
    about this new hardware?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --