    c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load

    Any advice? Do you need more info? I'm reformatting and reinstalling right
    now to see if that will help. I'll update later. Thanks, Ryan

    dark elf, Oct 7, 2004

  2. dark elf

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Hi, I'm installing Win98se on a Compaq Presario 4540 with an AMD
    >| processor. I've reformatted the hard drive and after installing the
    >| OS, when it reboots I get an error:
    >|
    >| Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer
    >|
    >| c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load
    >|

    >| Any advice? Do you need more info? I'm reformatting and
    >| reinstalling right now to see if that will help. I'll update later.
    >| Thanks, Ryan

    Microsoft has this to say about it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311188

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;191874
    There may be more - follow the links on those pages...

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 7, 2004

  3. dark elf

    dark elf Guest

    Re: win98se install error--update

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >| Hi, I'm installing Win98se on a Compaq Presario 4540 with an AMD
    > >| processor. I've reformatted the hard drive and after installing the
    > >| OS, when it reboots I get an error:
    > >|
    > >| Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer
    > >|
    > >| c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load
    > >|

    > >| Any advice? Do you need more info? I'm reformatting and
    > >| reinstalling right now to see if that will help. I'll update later.
    > >| Thanks, Ryan

    > Microsoft has this to say about it:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311188
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;191874
    > There may be more - follow the links on those pages...
    >
    > --
    > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    > THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    >
    > Weird, tried the fixes listed from Microsoft, didn't work. Reinstalled

    Windows, but instead of hanging around watching it, I went out to lunch and
    shopping, got home to a perfectly loaded desktop, no errors, running really
    smoothly now. Thanks for the advice. Ryan

    dark elf, Oct 8, 2004
  4. dark elf

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: win98se install error--update

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|

    >| > Microsoft has this to say about it:
    >| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311188
    >| >
    >| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;191874
    >| > There may be more - follow the links on those pages...
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
    >| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    >| >
    >| > Weird, tried the fixes listed from Microsoft, didn't work.
    >| > Reinstalled
    >| Windows, but instead of hanging around watching it, I went out to
    >| lunch and shopping, got home to a perfectly loaded desktop, no
    >| errors, running really smoothly now. Thanks for the advice. Ryan

    Glad you got it running! Those errors are sometimes very hard to chase down.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 9, 2004