    defrag are runs on a regular basis.

    thanks from adam

    ---

    Adam Burgess, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Adam Burgess

    Boomer Guest

    "Adam Burgess" <> wrote:

    > i have win98 se, recently it has started to hang on start-up
    > just prior to loading the desktop, so i have to reboot the
    > puter. sometimes it reboots itself and runs scandisk saying i
    > did not shut down windows correctly, though no input from me.
    > any ideas what's causing this? & more importantly a fix.
    >
    > configsys is at a minimum, system is virus free, no conflicts in
    > the device manager. useless/temp files deleted, under stable
    > conditions scandisk & defrag are runs on a regular basis.
    >
    > thanks from adam

    [snip broken sig]

    How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown and Startup Problems
    (Including "Windows 98 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard"
    to download.)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q202633
    or
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

    Have you scanned for viruses, trojans and spyware?

    And you might want to search Microsoft.com for
    "Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement" patch.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

    Boomer, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Adam Burgess

    Tech Guest

    Adam Burgess wrote:

    > i have win98 se, recently it has started to hang on start-up just prior to
    > itself and runs scandisk saying i did not shut down windows correctly,
    > though no input from me.
    > any ideas what's causing this? & more importantly a fix.
    >
    > configsys is at a minimum, system is virus free, no conflicts in the
    > device manager. useless/temp files deleted, under stable conditions
    > scandisk & defrag are runs on a regular basis.
    >
    > thanks from adam
    >

    > ---

    Sometimes the machine will simply "age" into weirdness. If you are
    possitive that you do not have viruses, try simple maintenance:

    1. Boot into safe mode.
    2. Delete all temp files such as *.tmp, ~.*, *.bak, et.al.
    including removing old, unused programs.
    3. Run scandisk
    4. Run Defragmenter, making sure that you do *NOT* check the option labeled
    "... Make Programs Run Faster". Somehow this ruins things.

    I strongly recommend that you dowload (free) Knoppix CD. It will boot your
    computer from the CD drive without making any modifications to your
    existing configuration. You will be able to see if there are any hardware
    issues that need to be addressed; it will also give you a glimpse of a
    superv environment and an awesome operating system. When you are done,
    simply remove the CD and boot back to win98.

    --
    __

    Tech, Jul 14, 2004