    Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Bill P

    Old Gringo Guest

    Bill P wrote:
    > Hi
    > Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a few days
    > but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell screen it stops on
    > black screen with flashing curser. The light adjacent to the floppy drive is
    > on. Thats as far as it gets. He says it just stopped one morning, he wasn't
    > doing anything.
    > I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to enable me to
    > revert the HD to an earlier time.
    > Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Have you tried to start the computer in safe mode to see if the
    problem can be solved. An important task for kids on a computer is
    to download. He may have something on there new that is causing the
    problem. Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Bill P

    trout Guest

    Bill P wrote:

    > Hi
    > Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a
    > few days but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell
    > screen it stops on black screen with flashing curser. The light
    > adjacent to the floppy drive is on. Thats as far as it gets. He says
    > it just stopped one morning, he wasn't doing anything.
    > I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to enable
    > me to revert the HD to an earlier time.
    > Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Will it go far enough to give you the boot menu with F8?
    --
    scanreg/restore saved my ass time and again.

    trout, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Bill P wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a few
    >> days but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell screen it
    >> stops on black screen with flashing curser. The light adjacent to the
    >> floppy drive is on. Thats as far as it gets. He says it just stopped one
    >> morning, he wasn't doing anything.
    >> I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to enable me
    >> to revert the HD to an earlier time.
    >> Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    >> Regards
    >> Bill

    > Have you tried to start the computer in safe mode to see if the problem
    > can be solved. An important task for kids on a computer is to download.
    > He may have something on there new that is causing the problem. Good Luck
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo George
    > Magic Weaver Of Life
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

    Tried to get into safe mode holding down F8 key but nothing happened.

    Bill P, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Bill P

    Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup and temporarily disable the floppy drive.
    Be sure to the change when exiting. If the computer starts normally,
    you may have a defective drive, or one that is installed incorrectly.
    If you can't get into the BIOS setup, please repost with more
    information, including the manufacturer and model of the computer,
    and any information you can find on the motherboard.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Bill P wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a
    >> few days but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell
    >> screen it stops on black screen with flashing curser. The light
    >> adjacent to the floppy drive is on. Thats as far as it gets. He says
    >> it just stopped one morning, he wasn't doing anything.
    >> I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to enable
    >> me to revert the HD to an earlier time.
    >> Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    >> Regards
    >> Bill

    > Will it go far enough to give you the boot menu with F8?
    > --
    > scanreg/restore saved my ass time and again.

    Just had my son-in-law on the phone.
    He went inside the tower and made sure everything was properly plugged in.
    He re-booted and it seems to be OK for now. He doesn't know what he did or
    what was loose but it looks like he fixed it.
    Thanks for your quick replies.
    Bill

    Bill P, Aug 27, 2005
  7. Bill P

    Old Gringo Guest

    Bill P wrote:
    > Hi
    > Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a few days
    > but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell screen it stops on
    > black screen with flashing curser. The light adjacent to the floppy drive is
    > on. Thats as far as it gets. He says it just stopped one morning, he wasn't
    > doing anything.
    > I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to enable me to
    > revert the HD to an earlier time.
    > Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Good Luck, could have been the move.

    Old Gringo, Aug 27, 2005
  8. Bill P

    philo Guest

    > Just had my son-in-law on the phone.
    > He went inside the tower and made sure everything was properly plugged in.
    > He re-booted and it seems to be OK for now. He doesn't know what he did or
    > what was loose but it looks like he fixed it.
    > Thanks for your quick replies.
    > Bill

    it's very common for something to loosen up after a computer is moved...
    glad you got the prob solved

    philo, Aug 27, 2005
  9. Bill P

    Buffalo Guest

    "Bill P" <> wrote in message

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > > Bill P wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a
    > >> few days but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell
    > >> screen it stops on black screen with flashing curser. The light
    > >> adjacent to the floppy drive is on. Thats as far as it gets. He says
    > >> it just stopped one morning, he wasn't doing anything.
    > >> I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to enable
    > >> me to revert the HD to an earlier time.
    > >> Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    > >> Regards
    > >> Bill

    > > Will it go far enough to give you the boot menu with F8?
    > > --
    > > scanreg/restore saved my ass time and again.
    > >

    > Just had my son-in-law on the phone.
    > He went inside the tower and made sure everything was properly plugged in.
    > He re-booted and it seems to be OK for now. He doesn't know what he did or
    > what was loose but it looks like he fixed it.
    > Thanks for your quick replies.
    > Bill

    Happy to hear that it is working.
    I thought that you could use Goback just by hitting the spacebar or some key
    like that even if nothing showed up on the monitor?
    That wasn't the problem, but your Grandson should be instructed on how to use
    GoBack for future possible problems.

    Buffalo, Aug 27, 2005
  10. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    > "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "trout" <> wrote in message

    >> > Will it go far enough to give you the boot menu with F8?
    >> > --
    >> > scanreg/restore saved my ass time and again.
    >> >

    >> Just had my son-in-law on the phone.
    >> He went inside the tower and made sure everything was properly plugged
    >> in.
    >> He re-booted and it seems to be OK for now. He doesn't know what he did
    >> or
    >> what was loose but it looks like he fixed it.
    >> Thanks for your quick replies.
    >> Bill

    > Happy to hear that it is working.
    > I thought that you could use Goback just by hitting the spacebar or some
    > key
    > like that even if nothing showed up on the monitor?
    > That wasn't the problem, but your Grandson should be instructed on how to
    > use
    > GoBack for future possible problems.

    You're quite right Buffalo you do have to hit the space bar but the GoBack
    screen has to be on the monitor first. You have about 5 secs to decide
    whether you want to revert or not.
    I have shown him how to use GoBack but it wasn't an option in this case.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Aug 27, 2005
  11. Bill P

    Buffalo Guest

    "Bill P" <> wrote in message

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I thought that you could use Goback just by hitting the spacebar or some
    > > key
    > > like that even if nothing showed up on the monitor?
    > > That wasn't the problem, but your Grandson should be instructed on how to
    > > use
    > > GoBack for future possible problems.
    > >

    > You're quite right Buffalo you do have to hit the space bar but the GoBack
    > screen has to be on the monitor first. You have about 5 secs to decide
    > whether you want to revert or not.
    > I have shown him how to use GoBack but it wasn't an option in this case.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Thanks for clearing that up.
    At least your Grandson is not afraid to delve into the innards of the machine.
    Be sure to make him aware of things like shutting it off first and the dangers
    of static electricity.

    Buffalo, Aug 27, 2005
  12. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    ..

    > "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > I thought that you could use Goback just by hitting the spacebar or
    >> > some
    >> > key
    >> > like that even if nothing showed up on the monitor?
    >> > That wasn't the problem, but your Grandson should be instructed on how
    >> > use
    >> > GoBack for future possible problems.
    >> >

    >> You're quite right Buffalo you do have to hit the space bar but the
    >> GoBack
    >> screen has to be on the monitor first. You have about 5 secs to decide
    >> whether you want to revert or not.
    >> I have shown him how to use GoBack but it wasn't an option in this case.
    >> Regards
    >> Bill

    > Thanks for clearing that up.
    > At least your Grandson is not afraid to delve into the innards of the
    > machine.
    > Be sure to make him aware of things like shutting it off first and the
    > dangers
    > of static electricity.

    No, you misread the post . It was his Dad, My son-in-law who went inside the
    machine

    Bill P, Aug 27, 2005
  13. Bill P

    Brian G Guest

    Bill P wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Bill P wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a
    >>> few days but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell
    >>> screen it stops on black screen with flashing curser. The light
    >>> adjacent to the floppy drive is on. Thats as far as it gets. He
    >>> says it just stopped one morning, he wasn't doing anything.
    >>> I have Roxio Goback installed but it does not get that far to
    >>> enable me to revert the HD to an earlier time.
    >>> Would appreciate any help/suggestions.
    >>> Regards
    >>> Bill

    >> Have you tried to start the computer in safe mode to see if the
    >> problem can be solved. An important task for kids on a computer is
    >> to download. He may have something on there new that is causing the
    >> problem. Good Luck
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo George
    >> Magic Weaver Of Life
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

    > Tried to get into safe mode holding down F8 key but nothing happened.

    This may work,

    Try holding down the Ctrl key immediately after it starts to boot up
    instead.

    Brian G, Aug 27, 2005
  14. Bill P

    Plato Guest

    Bill P wrote:

    > Passed on my old Win98se computer to my Grandson. Worked fine for a few days
    > but now it won't boot. Immediately after the Packard Bell screen it stops on
    > black screen with flashing curser. The light adjacent to the floppy drive is
    > on. Thats as far as it gets. He says it just stopped one morning, he wasn't
    > doing anything.
    > Would appreciate any help/suggestions.

    First step is to make sure the hard drive is OK and has not gone to the
    graveyard.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 28, 2005