win98 -> Win XP Pro x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. Greetings,

    First post, so thanks in advance.

    Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
    just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
    trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
    to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.

    TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
    nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
    through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
    an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).

    Two questions:

    1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
    Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
    with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    English/Multilanguage Upgrade":

    http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produ...product_id=L-40491&Cat1=Servers MS&CatCount=1

    2. If not, can I install Win2000 on the Opteron
    (which is available from TechSoup as a full,
    non-upgrade OS):

    http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produ...-3021&Cat1=Microsoft DCOS Products&CatCount=1

    And then upgrade from there with the x64 Edition
    listed above?

    Thanks again for any suggestions, explanations,
    pointers, u.s.w.

    All the best,

    William BC Crandall
    President & Director, Abundant Planet
    A Public Benefit California Corporation
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=, Jul 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=

    DP Guest

    Warning: Though Techsoup says this, "The Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) x86
    emulation layer allows organizations to keep their existing investment in
    32-bit software and Windows expertise," it doesn't point out that you may
    have issues regarding the drivers for peripherals.
    If you have existing printers, network devices, cameras, scanners, etc, they
    may prove to be unworkable if you can't find a 64-bit driver.

    I'm also confused by this language: "This is an upgrade product. ... The
    actual installation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a fresh
    install, not an upgrade. " Everything I've read in this NG indicates x64 is
    not an upgrade in any way. Now presumably there may be some kind of product
    that windows has made available to non-profits that the rest of the world
    doesn't know about. So, I'm just confused.

    Presumably you've worked with Techsoup before and they are reliable?

    "WilliamCrandall" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    DP, Jul 19, 2006

  3. No. You cannot upgrade from any 32bit system like Win98 to any 64bit
    system. A clean installation is required. XP Pro x64 is only available as
    an OEM distribution and OEM distributions will not upgrade in any case.
    When you install x64 any thing on the target partition will be lost.

    I believe what you are referring to is a licensing purchase.

    "WilliamCrandall" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=

    VWWall Guest

    WilliamCrandall wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > First post, so thanks in advance.
    >
    > Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
    > just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
    > trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
    > to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
    >
    > TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
    > nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
    > through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
    > an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. Is the most direct route possible? Can I install
    > Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
    > with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    > English/Multilanguage Upgrade":

    You do not need to install anything! TechSoup will send you the media,
    (CD with XP x64), and after establishing your non-profit status, the key
    to activate it. You load the OS on the "bare" Opteron system, use the
    key to activate it and you're in business.

    One question--why are you considering WindowsXP X64 rather than the
    WindowsXP 32 bit version?

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Jul 19, 2006
  5. WilliamCrandall wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > First post, so thanks in advance.
    >
    > Here's our situation. We're a new nonprofit, we've
    > just received an Opteron system as a gift, and I'm
    > trying to find the simplest, surest, cheapest way
    > to get WinXP Pro x64 up and running.
    >
    > TechSoup is a wonderful outlet for MS products for
    > nonprofits (techsoup.org), but you do have to jump
    > through a few hoops. What we've got running now is
    > an old laptop with Win98 2nd Edition (4.10.2222 A).
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. Is the most direct route possible?

    The simplest, most direct, and most cost effective route is to simply
    purchase (or persuade one of your donors/benefactors to purchase for
    you) WinXPX64, and install it.

    > Can I install
    > Win98 on the new Opteron system, and then upgrade
    > with "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    > English/Multilanguage Upgrade":
    >
    > http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produ...product_id=L-40491&Cat1=Servers MS&CatCount=1
    >

    > 2. If not, can I install Win2000 on the Opteron
    > (which is available from TechSoup as a full,
    > non-upgrade OS):
    >
    > http://www.techsoup.org/stock/produ...-3021&Cat1=Microsoft DCOS Products&CatCount=1
    >
    > And then upgrade from there with the x64 Edition
    > listed above?

    No to both questions. No upgrades of any kind can be done. First of
    all, both Win98 and Win2K are 32-bit operating systems, and it's not
    possible to "upgrade" from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS; a clean
    installation is the only way to go. Secondly, WinXPx64 is available
    only as an OEM license, which cannot perform upgrades; OEM licenses are
    specific ally designed to perform only clean installations.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 19, 2006
  6. DP wrote:
    > Warning: Though Techsoup says this, "The Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) x86
    > emulation layer allows organizations to keep their existing investment in
    > 32-bit software and Windows expertise," it doesn't point out that you may
    > have issues regarding the drivers for peripherals.
    > If you have existing printers, network devices, cameras, scanners, etc, they
    > may prove to be unworkable if you can't find a 64-bit driver.

    Good points...

    > I'm also confused by this language: "This is an upgrade product. ... The
    > actual installation of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is a fresh
    > install, not an upgrade. " Everything I've read in this NG indicates x64 is
    > not an upgrade in any way. Now presumably there may be some kind of product
    > that windows has made available to non-profits that the rest of the world
    > doesn't know about. So, I'm just confused.

    A closer look at Techsoup's entry reveals that this is a Volume License
    (minimum purchase of 5 seats). All Volume Licenses are "upgrades"
    according to Microsoft in that they require the presense of an earlier,
    qualifying OS license to be valid. In the case of WinXPx64, the only
    earlier, qualifying OS would be the factory-installed OEM copy of
    WinXPx64. Kind of silly, when you think about it, but there are no
    earlier 64-bit Microsoft operating systems.

    > Presumably you've worked with Techsoup before and they are reliable?

    I haven't, but the whole thing seems awfully suspicious to me.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 19, 2006
  7. The earlier edition of Windows does not have to be installed or upgraded in
    the consumer sense. It just has to be a license assigned to the target
    machine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2006
  8. Hello Virg,

    Thanks for pointing out what was right in front of me ;).
    That is, that TechSoup offers a "fresh install", even though
    its titled "upgrade."

    Why x64? We'll be using this machine for web development
    work--Java/XML/Eclipse/Spring/Hibernate/u.s.w. I thought
    that we'd get the best performance out of the 64-bit Opteron
    by starting with WinXP X64 at the bottom of the stack.

    But DP's comment about drivers has raised my concern.

    The system will have common peripherals (HP printer;
    Logitech speakers; a mic, perhaps a Studio Projects B1).
    Is it unreasonable to think these will work?

    It looks like Java will work:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jre/install-windows-64.html

    And Eclipse for "Windows x86_64" (which I think refers to
    WinXP X64 on the Opteron) is in "Early Access" (and we'll
    likely not start serious work for another couple months):

    http://download3.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.2-200606291905/index.php

    But if you think this is *not* the best way to go, please let
    me know.

    Thanks to all for quick and thoughtful responses.

    -BC

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=, Jul 19, 2006
  9. Check the manufacturer's websites for x64 drivers. If they are available
    then go for it. If not then use XP Pro XP2.

    "WilliamCrandall" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2006
  10. Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > The earlier edition of Windows does not have to be installed or upgraded in
    > the consumer sense. It just has to be a license assigned to the target
    > machine.

    True, but remember, there is *no* upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit
    operating systems.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 19, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=

    VWWall Guest

    WilliamCrandall wrote:
    > Hello Virg,
    >
    > Thanks for pointing out what was right in front of me ;).
    > That is, that TechSoup offers a "fresh install", even though
    > its titled "upgrade."
    >
    > Why x64? We'll be using this machine for web development
    > work--Java/XML/Eclipse/Spring/Hibernate/u.s.w. I thought
    > that we'd get the best performance out of the 64-bit Opteron
    > by starting with WinXP X64 at the bottom of the stack.
    >
    > But DP's comment about drivers has raised my concern.
    >
    > The system will have common peripherals (HP printer;
    > Logitech speakers; a mic, perhaps a Studio Projects B1).
    > Is it unreasonable to think these will work?

    Make sure any hardware you plan to use has 64bit drivers. One way is to
    read through this NG for others' experiences.

    There are still few 64 bit applications, and some of these don't take
    full advantage of the 64 bit operating system. Even then, you may be
    constrained by things like motherboards that can't physically hold the
    amount of memory that can be usefully employed by a 64bit OS.

    This will all change, but for now, unless you have a compelling reason,
    WindowsXP 32bit may be the way to go.

    I assume you can get the same deal on WindowsXP 32bit from TechSoup, and
    they are a legitimate outfit working with Microsoft, as they imply!

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Jul 19, 2006
  12. It doesn't matter. "Upgrade" used here does not mean upgrading an installed
    OS with a Windows cd. It means the license.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2006
  13. Hello Virg, Bruce and Collin,

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    The web sites for the drives (Seagate and Plextor) say they
    "do not require any special drivers for Microsoft Windows
    operating systems." This blanket statement sounds like
    X64 is included. Any experiences to the contrary?

    I'm checking into other drivers, and it still looks possible, but its
    increasingly clear that x64 is still "arriving."

    Am I right in my basic assumption that I'll see better performance
    with Win XP x64? Or is will the Opteron do (nearly) as well with x32?

    And yes, TechSoup is the (I believe only) authorized dealer of
    Microsoft products for the 501(c)3 community.

    Thanks again.

    -BC
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=, Jul 19, 2006
  14. I've never had to use x64 specific drivers for those hard drives.
    Performance is not something I am willing to make any blanket statements
    about. The increased headroom of the 64bit processors is a plus. Add to
    that the fact that 64bit processors are newer designs and more efficient as
    processors. My perception is that the slight hit from WOW64 for your 32bit
    apps is offset by the 64bit cpu's greater efficiency. If none of your apps
    are going to run as native 64bit programs then I think that the driver
    situation has to be your deciding factor.

    "WilliamCrandall" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUNyYW5kYWxs?=

    VWWall Guest

    WilliamCrandall wrote:
    > Hello Virg, Bruce and Collin,
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > The web sites for the drives (Seagate and Plextor) say they
    > "do not require any special drivers for Microsoft Windows
    > operating systems." This blanket statement sounds like
    > X64 is included. Any experiences to the contrary?

    No problems with any hard drives. The 64bit OS uses the same file
    format, (NTSF), as the 32 bit. SATA drivers should come with the
    motherboard.

    > I'm checking into other drivers, and it still looks possible, but its
    > increasingly clear that x64 is still "arriving."

    Check for printers, especially those with scanners. Also cameras,
    plotters, etc. When 64 bit Vista arrives, everybody will jump on the 64
    bit bandwagon and all the new hardware will have drivers.

    > Am I right in my basic assumption that I'll see better performance
    > with Win XP x64? Or is will the Opteron do (nearly) as well with x32?

    The Opteron works fine with a 32 bit OS. WinXP x64 runs 32 bit
    applications, (with a few exceptions), very well also. You won't see
    any better performance except for applications written for a 64 bit CPU
    and OS. Adobe claims that PhotoShop C2 can use the additional memory
    that a 64 bit OS can address, but the extra memory, {>4GB), has to be in
    the system hardware.

    > And yes, TechSoup is the (I believe only) authorized dealer of
    > Microsoft products for the 501(c)3 community.

    I didn't see WindowsXP, (standard 32 bit), on the list, only Windows 2K.
    This is a good OS, but not as advanced as XP.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Jul 19, 2006
  16. TechSoup version is standard Volume License. You'll have to order the media
    as a separate thing. You _can_ directly install it, but technically you need
    a version of Windows to qualify for the "upgrade". However, you don't need
    it installed on the box.

    That being said, unless you have a compelling reason and know why you're
    doing it, I'd stick with 32-bit XP Professional, or even with 32-bit Server.
    Actually, that box would be an excellent box for SBS, which is also on
    TechSoup.

    All x64 Editions are "clean" installs, by the way.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel, Jul 19, 2006
  17. Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > It doesn't matter. "Upgrade" used here does not mean upgrading an installed
    > OS with a Windows cd. It means the license.

    Perhaps you're correct, but I'd want to do a careful reading the the
    specific EULA before coming to that conclusion. Or have you already
    read the WinXPx64 VL EULA? If so, I'll certainly defer to your certain
    knowledge; I'm only going by past experience with other Volume Licenses.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 20, 2006
  18. Upgrade refers to the license and not an action you take to install
    software.

    It can't in this case anyway because you cannot upgrade to x64 anything.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2006