    upgrade to Win98 or a complete OS that needs its own license , may/may
    not install, etc

    Anyone been here before ?

    - Bobb -, Dec 6, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    k35454 Guest

    Maybe this helps. I have original discs 98 and SE. SE is a complete
    install and will
    accept updates and other additional programs from the internet
    for which 98 is not eligible. k35454.

    I'm putting together PC's to donate to local charities. I typically do
    not get the media from the original owner ( or anything else other than
    a keyboard or a mouse) so rather than doing a clean install I usually
    have to go thru it and strip off any personal info/ ms office apps and
    then run spyware cleaners /ccleaner etc to get it "unpersonalized" (
    close to back to factory settings) . I then go to windowsupdate and get
    whatever I can updated.

    Today I got a Dell R400 that has Win98 ( not SE) , with Media Player 6.
    When I tried to update I got a message - "no can do ". It's got to be
    Win98SE to get a lot of the updates. I never owned a Win98 PC so I'm not
    sure of the differences. I do have an old Dell Win98SE factory CD ( not
    sure which Pc it came from). Is that an "upgrade" to whatever's on
    there? or is that a complete new install ? Is Win98SE a 2 minute

    k35454, Dec 6, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > I'm putting together PC's to donate to local charities. I typically do
    > not get the media from the original owner ( or anything else other than
    > a keyboard or a mouse) so rather than doing a clean install I usually
    > have to go thru it and strip off any personal info/ ms office apps and
    > then run spyware cleaners /ccleaner etc to get it "unpersonalized" (
    > close to back to factory settings) . I then go to windowsupdate and get
    > whatever I can updated.
    >
    > Today I got a Dell R400 that has Win98 ( not SE) , with Media Player 6.
    > When I tried to update I got a message - "no can do ". It's got to be
    > Win98SE to get a lot of the updates. I never owned a Win98 PC so I'm not
    > sure of the differences. I do have an old Dell Win98SE factory CD ( not
    > sure which Pc it came from). Is that an "upgrade" to whatever's on
    > there? or is that a complete new install ? Is Win98SE a 2 minute
    > upgrade to Win98 or a complete OS that needs its own license , may/may
    > not install, etc
    >
    > Anyone been here before ?

    Win98 or Win98SE are like win95a and win95b, it's a newer version of
    the operating system.
    A win98 or a Win98SE CD is not an upgrade CD unless it says so. And a
    win98 upgrade cd is intended for upgrading from Win95, but could
    probably work for a lower version of the same OS. e.g. upgrading Win98
    to Win98 SE.

    Your Win98SE CD is a fresh install, unless it says upgrade

    Also, know this.

    Dell Windows CDs have Dell serial numbers. And if you do install
    drivers, you really want not just the Dell windows CD, but the Dell
    driver CD (perhaps called something like dell service cd). As an
    alternative to the Dell driver cd, you can go online to get the drivers
    , you go to the dell site and enter the dell tag - written on the case
    - and it'll give you drivesr.

    But a Dell driver CD Is better 'cos it interrogates the system and give
    syou the exact drivers you need. The website may show you more drivers
    than you need, and some are wrong drivers, with no indication on the
    site that the drivers are wrong. This is true when I messed with
    getting drivers off dell in 2005.

    if you do a fresh windows install on a dell , you'll certainly need the
    dell driver cd or go to the website and download the drivers - a bit
    more hassle .

    , Dec 6, 2006
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Ok, thanks for the info That was really my concern: I don't know which
    drivers are on the site and if I COULD upgrade to SE using the drivers
    that I have - fine, but if I'm not sure, I'm not gonna try and maybe
    end up with a boat anchor. I think I'll just donate as-is and if they
    want/need to, they can upgrade it as THEY might have a free (charitable)
    license for... 98 or Win2000 but I have none. In the meantime it is a
    useful Pc for someone.

    - Bobb -, Dec 6, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Ok, thanks for the info That was really my concern: I don't know which
    > drivers are on the site and if I COULD upgrade to SE using the drivers
    > that I have - fine, but if I'm not sure,

    that doesn't make much sense but your conclusion is fine ;-)

    Drivers that work for 98 work for 98SE too.
    Avoid the term upgrade if you are not using a "windows upgrade CD".
    It's too ambiguous.

    The drivers on the site will be alright, you do enter the "service tag"
    (number on your dell). So it identifies all the drivers you need + one
    or two you don't want. But as you said, you don't need to bother with
    the driver cd at all if you just leave it as it is.

    > I'm not gonna try and maybe
    > end up with a boat anchor. I think I'll just donate as-is and if they
    > want/need to, they can upgrade it as THEY might have a free (charitable)
    > license for... 98 or Win2000 but I have none. In the meantime it is a
    > useful Pc for someone.

    yeah, it will be.
    Windows 98 (even not SE) is fine. The problem with 98 (SE or not) is
    it doesn't have a firewall. It is good enough behind a router though.
    And that's the typical way people connect to the internet nowadays.

    I don' t suggest installing typical firewall software (PFW - personal
    firewall) on it. e.g. zone alarm, sygate, . It'd make it harder to
    use. Not suitable for somebody buying a free computer. And PFWs aren't
    that good anyway.

    Win XP has a nice built in firewall for blocking incoming, which is
    important - though it is more likely to be taken down by e.g. a browser
    exploit. But a router is alright, it'll block incoming too.

    If they are using "dial up" then they probably won't be behind a
    router, and it's a bit too insecure.

    You may want to install Mozilla or some other browser. Not internet
    explorer. That is one of the best things you can do. For security's
    sake. It's important, especially if you have adventurous browsers

    security should be your only thought as regards updates. and you don't
    need any updates, just thought as to provisions like the above. e.g.
    diff browser.

    , Dec 7, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    Guest

    wrote:
    <snip>
    > Drivers that work for 98 work for 98SE too.

    I'm 90% sure on that!

    considering that typically drivers work for Win9X (win95,98) . Or maybe
    that's just nowadays.. Anybody?

    , Dec 7, 2006
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > - Bobb - wrote:
    >> Ok, thanks for the info That was really my concern: I don't know
    >> which
    >> drivers are on the site and if I COULD upgrade to SE using the
    >> drivers
    >> that I have - fine, but if I'm not sure,

    > that doesn't make much sense but your conclusion is fine ;-)
    >
    > Drivers that work for 98 work for 98SE too.
    > Avoid the term upgrade if you are not using a "windows upgrade CD".
    > It's too ambiguous.

    What I meant was... there are some pc cards in the box ( Aztek isa sound
    card and a DEC205 nic ) for which drivers probably don't come on a
    win98CD or at the dell site. That's why if it involves "wiping the
    current OS and then installing a new version of 98", I'd rather leave
    as-is, since they currently work fine. If THEY want to replace the
    current OS , the charity can do it at their site.

    I'll drop them off today.
    Thanks to everyone.

    - Bobb -, Dec 7, 2006
  8. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Win98 SE

    update - I gave away 4 pc's and got 2 more in - trying to clean them
    up/get donor's info off them.
    On a clone, the HDD was toast so I put a spare drive into it - the drive
    had Dell's Win98 on it.
    I figured I'd wipe it out and reinstall so I booted from storebought
    Win98SE CD and chose new install. I got a few warnings "no going back"
    type messages - I clicked OK. The install goes for 4-5 minutes and then
    I get

    " Warning SU0168
    Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be
    upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 98
    Upgrade." I wasn't trying to upgrade which is WHY I chose the "full
    install CD".

    I see a workaround at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225252/EN-US/

    I'll try what they suggest ( although I'm not going from 95 to 98 I'll
    look for similiar files) or fdisk and reformat , but any ideas as to WHY
    I got that message when I did not ask to update ? Just so I "get it"
    and will know in the future.

    Thanks,
    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Dec 13, 2006
  9. - Bobb -

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: Win98 SE

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > update - I gave away 4 pc's and got 2 more in - trying to clean them
    > up/get donor's info off them.
    > On a clone, the HDD was toast so I put a spare drive into it - the drive
    > had Dell's Win98 on it.
    > I figured I'd wipe it out and reinstall so I booted from storebought
    > Win98SE CD and chose new install. I got a few warnings "no going back"
    > type messages - I clicked OK. The install goes for 4-5 minutes and then
    > I get
    >
    > " Warning SU0168
    > Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be
    > upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 98
    > Upgrade." I wasn't trying to upgrade which is WHY I chose the "full
    > install CD".
    >
    > I see a workaround at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225252/EN-US/
    >
    > I'll try what they suggest ( although I'm not going from 95 to 98 I'll
    > look for similiar files) or fdisk and reformat , but any ideas as to WHY
    > I got that message when I did not ask to update ? Just so I "get it"
    > and will know in the future.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bobb

    I understand that Dell and others have a special, hidden section on
    the hard drives that acts in concert with their version of the BIOS.
    That is what "proprietary" means, and i interpret it as "lock the
    customer to our expensive crap".

    Robert Baer, Dec 13, 2006
  10. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Win98 SE

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >
    >> update - I gave away 4 pc's and got 2 more in - trying to clean them
    >> up/get donor's info off them.
    >> On a clone, the HDD was toast so I put a spare drive into it - the
    >> drive had Dell's Win98 on it.
    >> I figured I'd wipe it out and reinstall so I booted from storebought
    >> Win98SE CD and chose new install. I got a few warnings "no going
    >> back" type messages - I clicked OK. The install goes for 4-5 minutes
    >> and then I get
    >>
    >> " Warning SU0168
    >> Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot
    >> be upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 98
    >> Upgrade." I wasn't trying to upgrade which is WHY I chose the
    >> "full install CD".
    >>
    >> I see a workaround at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225252/EN-US/
    >>
    >> I'll try what they suggest ( although I'm not going from 95 to 98
    >> I'll look for similiar files) or fdisk and reformat , but any ideas
    >> as to WHY I got that message when I did not ask to update ? Just so
    >> I "get it" and will know in the future.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bobb
    >>

    > I understand that Dell and others have a special, hidden section on
    > the hard drives that acts in concert with their version of the BIOS.
    > That is what "proprietary" means, and i interpret it as "lock the
    > customer to our expensive crap".

    But when I use a store-bought CD, and choose new install, why does
    microsoft consider that an "UPGRADE" and not iverwrite everything on the
    drive ( as I elected from their menu) ?
    BTW I did try the workaround - failed so I did an fdisk and reformat
    then install went fine.

    - Bobb -, Dec 13, 2006
  11. - Bobb -

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: Win98 SE

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> - Bobb - wrote:
    >>
    >>> update - I gave away 4 pc's and got 2 more in - trying to clean them
    >>> up/get donor's info off them.
    >>> On a clone, the HDD was toast so I put a spare drive into it - the
    >>> drive had Dell's Win98 on it.
    >>> I figured I'd wipe it out and reinstall so I booted from storebought
    >>> Win98SE CD and chose new install. I got a few warnings "no going
    >>> back" type messages - I clicked OK. The install goes for 4-5 minutes
    >>> and then I get
    >>>
    >>> " Warning SU0168
    >>> Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot
    >>> be upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 98
    >>> Upgrade." I wasn't trying to upgrade which is WHY I chose the
    >>> "full install CD".
    >>>
    >>> I see a workaround at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225252/EN-US/
    >>>
    >>> I'll try what they suggest ( although I'm not going from 95 to 98
    >>> I'll look for similiar files) or fdisk and reformat , but any ideas
    >>> as to WHY I got that message when I did not ask to update ? Just so
    >>> I "get it" and will know in the future.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bobb
    >>>

    >> I understand that Dell and others have a special, hidden section on
    >> the hard drives that acts in concert with their version of the BIOS.
    >> That is what "proprietary" means, and i interpret it as "lock the
    >> customer to our expensive crap".
    >>

    > But when I use a store-bought CD, and choose new install, why does
    > microsoft consider that an "UPGRADE" and not iverwrite everything on the
    > drive ( as I elected from their menu) ?
    > BTW I did try the workaround - failed so I did an fdisk and reformat
    > then install went fine.

    When (most versions of a particular MS OS) "see" any version of MS
    GUI, it is considered an "upgrade" even if the version is exactly the same.
    I say "versions" because (say) you got Win2K; versions (or variants)
    may be OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, retail professional, corporate
    upgrade, corporate full, and who knows what else.
    And they all act differently at some time in the installation phase.
    Some cannot be used to upgrade an older OS, some can be used only to
    upgrade from an older OS or same OS, etc.
    And a quick look at the CD is, in many cases insufficent to determine
    what you really have.
    And if you have not used a number of these variants, you will not be
    aware of those differences.
    It is a mess that will continue...

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2006
  12. - Bobb -

    >>> I understand that Dell and others have a special, hidden section
    >>> on the hard drives that acts in concert with their version of the
    >>> BIOS.
    >>> That is what "proprietary" means, and i interpret it as "lock the
    >>> customer to our expensive crap".
    >>>
    >>>====

    >> But when I use a store-bought CD, and choose new install, why does
    >> microsoft consider that an "UPGRADE" and not iverwrite everything on
    >> the drive ( as I elected from their menu) ?
    >> BTW I did try the workaround - failed so I did an fdisk and reformat
    >> then install went fine.
    >> ===

    > When (most versions of a particular MS OS) "see" any version of MS
    > GUI, it is considered an "upgrade" even if the version is exactly the
    > same.
    > I say "versions" because (say) you got Win2K; versions (or variants)
    > may be OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, retail professional,
    > corporate upgrade, corporate full, and who knows what else.
    > And they all act differently at some time in the installation phase.
    > Some cannot be used to upgrade an older OS, some can be used only to
    > upgrade from an older OS or same OS, etc.
    > And a quick look at the CD is, in many cases insufficent to
    > determine what you really have.
    > And if you have not used a number of these variants, you will not be
    > aware of those differences.
    > It is a mess that will continue...

    So IF a HDD has an OS on it , AND I buy the full version of the new OS,
    it wouldn't work ?
    ( if I didn't know how to format/manipulate what's there ? ) Just asking
    from "an average person's" point of view. That seems unbelievable -
    wouldn't MOST people buying an OS off the shelf be installing it on a PC
    with an OS on there ? I can see that if you HAD an OS it would be
    cheaper to buy the upgrade, (I've done that) but if you wanted to start
    fresh, the install CD doesn't even give the option to "Erase what is
    there?" and start fresh - very strange.
    I'll accept it as fact but seems crazy that it wouldn't at least state:
    " This HDD has an OS on it - are you sure that you want to overwrite
    it?"
    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Dec 14, 2006
  13. - Bobb -

    Grappletech Guest

    Re: Win98 SE

    A newer release of Linux is an option also, instead of Win98 SE.

    Grappletech, Dec 14, 2006