WIN98 - Turn off Update message?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, May 8, 2006.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    The subject says it. How do I turn off the automatic Windows Update
    message which pops up every couple of days?

    The update called "Security Update For Microsoft Data Access Components
    2.8 Service Pack 1 (KB911562)" is wanting to be installed.

    I installed it a few weeks ago and it broke MDAC so I couldn't run the
    payroll software that uses it (PayWindow). Not just me, it was reported
    by others too. I uninstalled it and am OK with the payroll program now,
    but I'm annoyed at that message popping up so often.

    I'd like to get rid of that message and run Windows Update myself when I
    get around to it.

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it depends on what
    you put into it."

    Jeff Wisnia, May 8, 2006

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    beenthere Guest

    "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    > The subject says it. How do I turn off the automatic Windows Update
    > message which pops up every couple of days?
    >
    > The update called "Security Update For Microsoft Data Access Components
    > 2.8 Service Pack 1 (KB911562)" is wanting to be installed.
    >
    > I installed it a few weeks ago and it broke MDAC so I couldn't run the
    > payroll software that uses it (PayWindow). Not just me, it was reported by
    > others too. I uninstalled it and am OK with the payroll program now, but
    > I'm annoyed at that message popping up so often.
    >
    > I'd like to get rid of that message and run Windows Update myself when I
    > get around to it.
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/win98_tips.htm#win_update
    This should do it jeff.

    beenthere, May 8, 2006

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    Noel Paton Guest

    The following may also apply for Win98 (etc...)

    IN Win ME, there is one more ESSENTIAL thing to note
    THE 911562 PATCH FOR MDAC2.8RTM DOES NOT WORK!!!
    It breaks Help & Support, amongst other things.

    Best advice is upgrade to MDAC2.8SP! from here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...95-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displaylang=en
    then visit WU again for the new patch - which works properly with the SP1
    files.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, May 8, 2006
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > The following may also apply for Win98 (etc...)
    >
    > IN Win ME, there is one more ESSENTIAL thing to note
    > THE 911562 PATCH FOR MDAC2.8RTM DOES NOT WORK!!!
    > It breaks Help & Support, amongst other things.
    >
    > Best advice is upgrade to MDAC2.8SP! from here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...95-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displaylang=en
    >
    > then visit WU again for the new patch - which works properly with the
    > SP1 files.

    Seems to work fine that way, thanks much!

    I'd already upgraded to MDAC2.8SP1 but was fearful of installing the
    911562 patch after what I'd gone through before when I did that.

    On your advice I held my breath and let the 911562 patch install All
    seems well, my payroll program loads and runs OK, when befor it crashed
    on loading.

    Jeff

    Jeff Wisnia, May 9, 2006
  5. Jeff Wisnia

    Noel Paton Guest

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> The following may also apply for Win98 (etc...)
    >>
    >> IN Win ME, there is one more ESSENTIAL thing to note
    >> THE 911562 PATCH FOR MDAC2.8RTM DOES NOT WORK!!!
    >> It breaks Help & Support, amongst other things.
    >>
    >> Best advice is upgrade to MDAC2.8SP! from here
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...95-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displaylang=en
    >> then visit WU again for the new patch - which works properly with the SP1
    >> files.
    >>

    > Seems to work fine that way, thanks much!
    >
    > I'd already upgraded to MDAC2.8SP1 but was fearful of installing the
    > 911562 patch after what I'd gone through before when I did that.
    >
    > On your advice I held my breath and let the 911562 patch install All seems
    > well, my payroll program loads and runs OK, when befor it crashed on
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks for the feedback - I'll pass it along.

    Seems that MS really forgot to test this particular (2.8RTM) patch - but
    I've heard nothing about an improved/fixed patch (yet).

    Glad to hear everything is again working!

    Noel Paton, May 9, 2006