Win98 to XP, what to do now? Backup or Image

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brett, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Just a rant....

    Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block error,
    HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.

    So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    chatting. And a good virus filter also.

    I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/

    Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....

    + MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    + My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    + Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes

    Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?

    Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.

    Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.

    Thanks
    Brett
    Brett, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Brett wrote:
    > Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.

    ummm, it's your machine, you would probably have more of an idea than most.

    downloaded exes?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Brett

    theseus Guest

    "Brett" <> wrote in message
    > Just a rant....
    >
    > Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block

    error,
    > HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    > reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >
    > So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    > Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    > chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >
    > I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    > versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >

    > Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >
    > + MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    > + My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    > + Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >
    > Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    > freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >
    > Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >
    > Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brett

    Use the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    It collects all that stuff and compresses it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306186&sd=tech
    theseus, Jul 24, 2004
  4. Brett

    Tim Guest

    I hope your not intending on reusing that HDD for XP?
    There is only 1 thing that follows from 1 bad block...
    You can get good size discs for sod all at the moment.

    As thesus says, use migwiz - I belive it is in the tools folder on the XP
    CD. There is I believe a more recent one at MS downloads - so use that as I
    have heard others had troubles with early versions.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  5. On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:47:05 +1200, Brett <> wrote:

    >Just a rant....
    >
    >Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block error,
    >HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >
    >So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    >chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >
    >I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >

    >Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >
    >+ MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >+ My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >+ Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >
    >Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    >freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >
    >Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >
    >Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Brett

    Why not do a Dual Boot system with 98se on it, XP lets you do that..

    Don't forget to make a Slipstream version of XP/SP2 as its needed for doing
    XP repairers..

    Also get AutoPatcher XP it has all the XP updates and more..

    http://www.autopatcher.com/
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 24, 2004
  6. On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:50:30 +1200, "theseus" <> wrote:

    >"Brett" <> wrote in message
    >> Just a rant....
    >>
    >> Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block

    >error,
    >> HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >> reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >>
    >> So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >> Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    >> chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >>
    >> I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >> versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >>

    >> Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >>
    >> + MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >> + My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >> + Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >>
    >> Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    >> freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >>
    >> Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >>
    >> Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Brett

    >Use the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    >It collects all that stuff and compresses it.
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306186&sd=tech

    But he is Formating the Drive...??????
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 24, 2004
  7. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:03:32 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >I hope your not intending on reusing that HDD for XP?
    >There is only 1 thing that follows from 1 bad block...
    >You can get good size discs for sod all at the moment.
    >
    >As thesus says, use migwiz - I belive it is in the tools folder on the XP
    >CD. There is I believe a more recent one at MS downloads - so use that as I
    >have heard others had troubles with early versions.
    >
    >- Tim

    Or use Spinrite to Format the Drive with out loosing any data...

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 24, 2004
  8. Brett

    Tim Guest

    Duh!

    SP2 has not been released yet! Are you advocating installing RC2 and also
    slipstreaming that? What happens when SP2 is released? Will a *repair*
    upgrade with a released SP2 work on a system that has had RC2? Be patient,
    wait a few weeks (at least) then install SP2. You can then build once a
    slipstream SP2 CD and use that for future repairs - you can repair prior
    versions of XP with a slipstream containing a service pack and dynamically
    upgrade.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 25, 2004
  9. Brett

    theseus Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:50:30 +1200, "theseus" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Brett" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just a rant....
    >>>
    >>> Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad
    >>> block error, HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and
    >>> them partitioned and reformatted. To look like new, oh well,
    >>> stable.
    >>>
    >>> So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >>> Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring
    >>> internet chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >>>
    >>> I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >>> versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >>>

    >>> Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >>>
    >>> + MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >>> + My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >>> + Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >>>
    >>> Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a
    >>> good freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >>>
    >>> Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change
    >>> OS.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Brett

    >> Use the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    >> It collects all that stuff and compresses it.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306186&sd=tech
    >>

    > But he is Formating the Drive...??????

    You run the wizard from the XP CD first on the 9x install and save the
    compressed backup file to whatever format you prefer, CD, floppy, network,
    USB key whatever then restore it after the install
    theseus, Jul 25, 2004
  10. Brett

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >Just a rant....
    >
    >Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block error,
    >HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.

    Wot Tim said. It's waaaaaaay risky too reinstall on a flakey disc -
    don't go blaming XP if it turns to custard!

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jul 25, 2004
  11. Brett

    Brett Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:03:32 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >I hope your not intending on reusing that HDD for XP?
    >There is only 1 thing that follows from 1 bad block...
    >You can get good size discs for sod all at the moment.

    I have found that some HD errors can be fixed by a zero format.
    Then I do a low level format (well that's want the zero format is) and
    then a surface scan to mark all really dead sectors. Plus I have no money
    for a new HD.

    >As thesus says, use migwiz - I belive it is in the tools folder on the XP
    >CD. There is I believe a more recent one at MS downloads - so use that as I
    >have heard others had troubles with early versions.
    >
    >- Tim

    Thanks for pointing me at migwiz you two.

    Brett

    Brett, Jul 25, 2004
  12. Brett

    Brett Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:58:31 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:03:32 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I hope your not intending on reusing that HDD for XP?
    >>There is only 1 thing that follows from 1 bad block...
    >>You can get good size discs for sod all at the moment.
    >>
    >>As thesus says, use migwiz - I belive it is in the tools folder on the XP
    >>CD. There is I believe a more recent one at MS downloads - so use that as I
    >>have heard others had troubles with early versions.
    >>
    >>- Tim
    >>

    >Or use Spinrite to Format the Drive with out loosing any data...

    Thanks, but no money. Plus I need to go to XP os.

    >>"Brett" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just a rant....
    >>>
    >>> Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block
    >>> error,
    >>> HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >>> reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >>>
    >>> So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >>> Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    >>> chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >>>
    >>> I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >>> versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >>>

    >>> Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >>>
    >>> + MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >>> + My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >>> + Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >>>
    >>> Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    >>> freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >>>
    >>> Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Brett

    Brett, Jul 25, 2004
  13. Brett

    Brett Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:55:38 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:47:05 +1200, Brett <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just a rant....
    >>
    >>Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block error,
    >>HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >>reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >>
    >>So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >>Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    >>chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >>
    >>I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >>versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >>

    >>Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >>
    >>+ MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >>+ My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >>+ Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >>
    >>Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    >>freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >>
    >>Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >>
    >>Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Brett

    >Why not do a Dual Boot system with 98se on it, XP lets you do that..
    >
    >Don't forget to make a Slipstream version of XP/SP2 as its needed for doing
    >XP repairers..
    >
    >Also get AutoPatcher XP it has all the XP updates and more..
    >
    >http://www.autopatcher.com/

    I will use the dual boot as a late resort, I want to get the most space I
    can from my HD so I really want only one partition.

    The Sliptream is a good idea, I will be using BartPE to make the
    slipstreamed version as it's got funky/friendly modules.

    Thanks for the pointer the autopatcher, it's still beta though.

    Brett
    Brett, Jul 25, 2004
  14. Brett

    Brett Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:17:57 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >Duh!

    , I will be using the SP2 for slipstream recovery, when it's released,
    like the ghost said. It's just a matter of waiting for the release.
    I guess I could make a rc2 slipstream and then make another SP2 when it's
    time.

    Thanks for the info.

    Brett, Jul 25, 2004
  15. Brett

    Brett Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:07:36 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:47:05 +1200, Brett <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Just a rant....
    >>
    >>Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block error,
    >>HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >>reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >>

    >Wot Tim said. It's waaaaaaay risky too reinstall on a flakey disc -
    >don't go blaming XP if it turns to custard!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    I think the disk is good, and should go ok as look as it's treated well. I
    think the power cuts have been the biggest problem with my HD issues.

    Once I have the OS + patches installed, I will image the drive. So my
    custard doesn't go lumpy. :)

    Brett
    Brett, Jul 25, 2004
  16. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:21:35 +1200, Brett <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:03:32 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I hope your not intending on reusing that HDD for XP?
    >>There is only 1 thing that follows from 1 bad block...
    >>You can get good size discs for sod all at the moment.

    >I have found that some HD errors can be fixed by a zero format.
    >Then I do a low level format (well that's want the zero format is) and
    >then a surface scan to mark all really dead sectors. Plus I have no money
    >for a new HD.

    Use Spinrite as it does not loose your data..

    >>As thesus says, use migwiz - I belive it is in the tools folder on the XP
    >>CD. There is I believe a more recent one at MS downloads - so use that as I
    >>have heard others had troubles with early versions.
    >>
    >>- Tim

    >Thanks for pointing me at migwiz you two.
    >
    >Brett
    >

    >>"Brett" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just a rant....
    >>>
    >>> Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block
    >>> error,
    >>> HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >>> reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >>>
    >>> So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >>> Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    >>> chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >>>
    >>> I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >>> versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >>>

    >>> Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >>>
    >>> + MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >>> + My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >>> + Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >>>
    >>> Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    >>> freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >>>
    >>> Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Brett

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 25, 2004
  17. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:23:19 +1200, Brett <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:58:31 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:03:32 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I hope your not intending on reusing that HDD for XP?
    >>>There is only 1 thing that follows from 1 bad block...
    >>>You can get good size discs for sod all at the moment.
    >>>
    >>>As thesus says, use migwiz - I belive it is in the tools folder on the XP
    >>>CD. There is I believe a more recent one at MS downloads - so use that as I
    >>>have heard others had troubles with early versions.
    >>>
    >>>- Tim
    >>>

    >>Or use Spinrite to Format the Drive with out loosing any data...

    >Thanks, but no money. Plus I need to go to XP os.

    What get a Demo version you don't need money for that..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 25, 2004
  18. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:33:23 +1200, Brett <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:55:38 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:47:05 +1200, Brett <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just a rant....
    >>>
    >>>Well it's getting close now, my computer says, windows 98, bad block error,
    >>>HD needs to be cleaned (google - zero formatted) and them partitioned and
    >>>reformatted. To look like new, oh well, stable.
    >>>
    >>>So it's time for me to move from windows 98se into WinXP Home.
    >>>Was hoping to wait for the SP2 but _ i have zonealarm monitoring internet
    >>>chatting. And a good virus filter also.
    >>>
    >>>I want to make BartPE style XP DVD boot, recovery disk, with Latest
    >>>versions of update packs and other useful tools/apps/
    >>>

    >>>Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to Backup....
    >>>
    >>>+ MyDocuments [C:\My Documents] 3.24G Gigabytes.
    >>>+ My IE Fav's [C:\WINDOWS\Favorites 124K Kilobytes.
    >>>+ Email client (Pmail) ( see pmail config ) 39.5M Megabytes
    >>>
    >>>Do I really need to take all my cookies for IE? Has anyone got a good
    >>>freeware manager for IE's bookmarks, favorites, cookies?
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, that should fit onto one compact disk no worries.
    >>>
    >>>Have I left anything important of this backup list, before I change OS.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Brett

    >>Why not do a Dual Boot system with 98se on it, XP lets you do that..
    >>
    >>Don't forget to make a Slipstream version of XP/SP2 as its needed for doing
    >>XP repairers..
    >>
    >>Also get AutoPatcher XP it has all the XP updates and more..
    >>
    >>http://www.autopatcher.com/

    >I will use the dual boot as a late resort, I want to get the most space I
    >can from my HD so I really want only one partition.
    >
    >The Sliptream is a good idea, I will be using BartPE to make the
    >slipstreamed version as it's got funky/friendly modules.
    >
    >Thanks for the pointer the autopatcher, it's still beta though.
    >
    >Brett

    Its been out for some 8 months now and as far as I know its not really a
    Beta..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 25, 2004