    of re-installing the software.

    Any help will be apprediated.

    TIA

    Brian, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Brian

    Boomer Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > My cousin's computer developed this problem a few weeks ago.
    > The start buton is missing. The task bar is in the usual
    > place, but is plain gray, and no tasks show up on it. The
    > mouse pointer does not chang to a re-sizing arrow at the edge
    > of the bar, and right clocking does not bring up the drop
    > down.
    >
    > I'm hoping I can fix it with a change in the registry instead
    > of re-installing the software.
    >
    > Any help will be apprediated.
    >
    > TIA

    Has she run her antivirus program?

    And maybe a few below?
    Install, at least, the first three.
    Check for updates weekly and use often. :)

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
    security/privacy issues.
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Info on above and more.

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    --Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    --Other software--
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Brian

    °Mike° Guest

    If (and only if) it's a corrupt registry, you may be able to
    recover by restoring a previous good registry from DOS.

    Boot into DOS (hold the CTRL key at bootup and choose
    'Command Prompt Only'), and at the C:> prompt, type:

    scanreg /restore

    If this doesn't help, then there is something seriously wrong
    with your Windows installation or core files, and you should
    reformat/reinstall - the reformat is just in case it is due to
    a virus/worm/trojan.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:32:10 GMT, in
    <Xns94036B13310C3bkbkbk@204.127.204.17>
    Brian scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Brian wrote in news:Xns94036B13310C3bkbkbk@204.127.204.17:

    > My cousin's computer developed this problem a few weeks ago.
    > The start buton is missing. The task bar is in the usual
    > place, but is plain gray, and no tasks show up on it. The
    > mouse pointer does not chang to a re-sizing arrow at the

    edge
    > of the bar, and right clocking does not bring up the drop
    > down.
    >
    > I'm hoping I can fix it with a change in the registry

    instead
    > of re-installing the software.
    >
    > Any help will be apprediated.
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks for the help, guys. Haven't had a chance to try it
    yet.

    Brian, Sep 28, 2003