    what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
    flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
    advise please... thanks

    dave, Oct 23, 2003

  2. dave

    Harrison Guest

    It could be any one of a lot of things.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/8/67.asp

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003

  3. dave

    Boomer Guest

    dave, <> wrote:

    > what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the
    > windows flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats
    > it...help or advise please... thanks

    Any error messages? When did this start happening? Download
    anything recently? Is your anti-virus up to date and have you ran it
    lately?

    Boomer, Oct 23, 2003
  4. dave

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    Usually a driver problem or a program was not uninstalled properly which
    leaves residue in the registry, or,
    possibly the Win.ini or System.ini. Reboot and hold down F8. Go to a
    selective startup and see what it
    is attempting to load. If it a file that is still in the registry, and the
    system cannot find it, this is a classic symptom,
    Or, you could get out of the dark ages and buy a machine with Windows 2000
    Pro on it. NOT an upgrade,
    do a fresh install. I hate to sound so brutal except I am certainly not
    going to lie to you. After all Microsoft
    quit supporting Windows 98/SE many moons ago.
    DennisC

    Computer Guy, Oct 23, 2003
  5. dave

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:53:02 -0700, "Computer Guy"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >Usually a driver problem or a program was not uninstalled properly which
    >leaves residue in the registry, or,
    >possibly the Win.ini or System.ini. Reboot and hold down F8. Go to a
    >selective startup and see what it
    >is attempting to load. If it a file that is still in the registry, and the
    >system cannot find it, this is a classic symptom,
    >Or, you could get out of the dark ages and buy a machine with Windows 2000
    >Pro on it. NOT an upgrade,

    Or, you could get completely out of the dark ages and get Windows XP
    Pro.

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  6. dave

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:27:18 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "dave" <>
    wrote :

    >what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
    >flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
    >advise please... thanks

    If a problem is less than 5 days old in win98 then restart the system
    pressing the F8 key and choose Command prompt only Dos or restart in
    Msdos mode and type scanreg/restore and try an older reg(cab
    file)backup,however you may have to re-install some programs and user
    changes if they were installed after this date.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 23, 2003
  7. dave

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    Just thought of something else. Lets take the Logo Screen Out so we can see
    what goes
    on "behind the scenes".
    Double click My Computer, Open tools | options and select show all file
    types including hidden files.
    Do a file and folder search for msdos.sys
    You hay have two. Right click and remove read only and hidden attributes for
    both files.
    Go to a DOS prompt and type edit msdos.sys
    Go down near the end of the fie, such as the version number and insert a
    line:
    Logo=0
    Save the file, exit the Dos prompt and restart the computer. I will not show
    the Logo Screen.
    You will see all the drivers, config.sys and aoutoexec.bat execute. This may
    give you a clue
    as the error is coming from. The computer will also boot faster.

    Try a selective start up next. If this does not show an error, as a last
    resort boot to a DOS
    Prompt and type scnreg /?, this will show you the options available. Type
    scanreg /restore and
    pick a day when the computer was working. You will be working with a
    registry that is 1-5 days
    old. The upside of doing this is the computer boots successfully and you can
    figure out what you
    changed recently, the downside is any documents written or amended and
    sent/receive e-mail
    will not be there.
    Good Luck and let me know how it goes.....
    DennisC

    Computer Guy, Oct 24, 2003
  8. dave

    Plato Guest

    dave wrote:

    > what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
    > flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
    > advise please... thanks

    bad chip in the keyboard perhaps?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/