    Any solutions?

    Thansk

    Kevin

    KJAYW, Jan 2, 2005

  2. KJAYW

    Thor Guest

    most likely, one of the programs you have running in the background, or a
    program that you used is refusing to close (even though it may appear to),
    and that in turn is keeping windows from doing a complete shutdown.
    Experiment by opening the task manager (press ctrl-alt-del) and end-task
    everything except "explorer" and "systray". Some items may not want to close
    right away, but keep end-tasking them until they do. When you get down to
    just explorer and systray running, go ahead and shut down windows normally.
    If it shuts down ok, then it's a fair bet that one of the programs you
    killed off manually was the culprit. Then, you can try again, kill off the
    tasks again, leaving one extra item running each time, until you get to the
    one that is causing windows to hang up on shutdown.

    Thor, Jan 2, 2005

  3. KJAYW

    KJAYW Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > most likely, one of the programs you have running in the background, or a
    > program that you used is refusing to close (even though it may appear to),
    > and that in turn is keeping windows from doing a complete shutdown.
    > Experiment by opening the task manager (press ctrl-alt-del) and end-task
    > everything except "explorer" and "systray". Some items may not want to close
    > right away, but keep end-tasking them until they do. When you get down to
    > just explorer and systray running, go ahead and shut down windows normally.
    > If it shuts down ok, then it's a fair bet that one of the programs you
    > killed off manually was the culprit. Then, you can try again, kill off the
    > tasks again, leaving one extra item running each time, until you get to the
    > one that is causing windows to hang up on shutdown.
    >

    > ..
    > "KJAYW" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm having problems closing down my computer.
    >>OK if I click 'shut down' and PC switches off normally but freezes on
    >>Windows is shutting down screen if I click 're-start'.In that case I have
    >>to turn off power before I can get it to boot up again.
    >>
    >>Any solutions?
    >>
    >>Thansk
    >>
    >>Kevin

    Thanks, Thor, much appreciated

    Kevin

    KJAYW, Jan 2, 2005
  4. KJAYW

    Spajky Guest

    Spajky, Jan 3, 2005
  5. KJAYW

    Wizard Guest

    Run a complete scan of your drive and fix any errors. If that doesn't do
    it then download the 2 shutdown patches from microsoft.

    Wizard, Jan 3, 2005
  6. KJAYW

    effi Guest

    dude, you're a genius, answer wasn't for me but worked

    effi, Jan 3, 2005