Win98 reinstall problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gorbag, May 11, 2004.

  1. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    Friend of mine has been trying to reinstall Win98 1st Edition over itself on
    her PC. She`s done this before OK.

    This time she tells me she`s getting error messages saying...

    The file was not found (error #2)

    Setup could not finish copying a file

    There then follows several messages. This is the first...

    Source file:D:\win98\lan.tsc
    Destination file: C:\windows\help\lan.001=lan.tsc

    This is followed by a lot of similar messages all with the tsc extension.

    Got me a bit stumped. All I can think of is that there is something running
    in the background such as scheduling or possibly some resident shield. I
    think she uses AVG.

    Any ideas anyone?

    Gorbag, May 11, 2004

  2. Gorbag

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, Gorbag emerged from the bunker carrying
    the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > Friend of mine has been trying to reinstall Win98 1st Edition over
    > itself on her PC. She`s done this before OK.
    >
    > This time she tells me she`s getting error messages saying...
    >
    > The file was not found (error #2)
    >
    > Setup could not finish copying a file
    >
    > There then follows several messages. This is the first...
    >
    > Source file:D:\win98\lan.tsc
    > Destination file: C:\windows\help\lan.001=lan.tsc
    >
    > This is followed by a lot of similar messages all with the tsc
    > extension.
    >
    > Got me a bit stumped. All I can think of is that there is something
    > running in the background such as scheduling or possibly some
    > resident shield. I think she uses AVG.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

    Shouldn't really be running anything if she's reinstalling - better off
    formatting anyway.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, May 11, 2004

  3. Gorbag

    °Mike° Guest

    Is there a particular reason that your friend is
    reinstalling Windows over the top of itself?

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:53:05 +0100, in
    <ji9oc.2951$9.net>
    Gorbag scrawled:

    >Friend of mine has been trying to reinstall Win98 1st Edition over itself on
    >her PC. She`s done this before OK.
    >
    >This time she tells me she`s getting error messages saying...
    >
    >The file was not found (error #2)
    >
    >Setup could not finish copying a file
    >
    >There then follows several messages. This is the first...
    >
    >Source file:D:\win98\lan.tsc
    >Destination file: C:\windows\help\lan.001=lan.tsc
    >
    >This is followed by a lot of similar messages all with the tsc extension.
    >
    >Got me a bit stumped. All I can think of is that there is something running
    >in the background such as scheduling or possibly some resident shield. I
    >think she uses AVG.
    >
    >Any ideas anyone?

    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 11, 2004
  4. Gorbag

    Isaac Guest

    "Gorbag" <> wrote in news:ji9oc.2951$NK4.237474
    @stones.force9.net:

    > Source file:D:\win98\lan.tsc
    > Destination file: C:\windows\help\lan.001=lan.tsc

    Maybe the CD is damaged. Can you copy D:\win98\lan.tsc by hand?
    Isaac, May 12, 2004