Win98 (Original Edition): Camera and Card Reader Software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    I notice that almost all camera and card reader software now specifies
    Win98 (Second Edition) as a minimum requirement.

    The software with my Canon A95 said that either would do, and before I
    got my new Win XP computer it worked quite happily under the original 98.

    My question is this: will the new software not operate at all under
    Win98 (First Edition), or are the companies covering themselves because
    it might not operate properly unless you hold your mouth right? I
    realize that the USB handling of the earlier Win98 was pretty primitive,
    but it was possible to use it -- even if you had to limit the number of
    USB devices in use at any one time.

    The reason for my question is that my daughter now has my old computer
    and I'd like to know whether it is worth her while to *try* installing
    the Canon SD300 software under the original 98.

    Any input would be most welcome.

    Roger

    Roger, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Roger

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > I notice that almost all camera and card reader software now specifies
    > Win98 (Second Edition) as a minimum requirement.
    >
    > The software with my Canon A95 said that either would do, and before I
    > got my new Win XP computer it worked quite happily under the original 98.
    >
    > My question is this: will the new software not operate at all under
    > Win98 (First Edition), or are the companies covering themselves because
    > it might not operate properly unless you hold your mouth right? I
    > realize that the USB handling of the earlier Win98 was pretty primitive,
    > but it was possible to use it -- even if you had to limit the number of
    > USB devices in use at any one time.
    >
    > The reason for my question is that my daughter now has my old computer
    > and I'd like to know whether it is worth her while to *try* installing
    > the Canon SD300 software under the original 98.
    >
    > Any input would be most welcome.

    Hi Roger...

    USB support under the original 98 was both iffy and flakey...

    Suggestion would be that she give it a shot - see what happens and
    how happy she is.

    Then if she isn't happy enough, and if she's of tender enough years that
    she may be better off staying with the 98 series stuff, see if you can't
    find her a copy of 98SE. Should be lots around and available for very
    little, and it will look and feel to her almost exactly as 98 original.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Roger

    george Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Roger...
    >
    > USB support under the original 98 was both iffy and flakey...
    >
    > Suggestion would be that she give it a shot - see what happens and
    > how happy she is.
    >
    > Then if she isn't happy enough, and if she's of tender enough years that
    > she may be better off staying with the 98 series stuff, see if you can't
    > find her a copy of 98SE. Should be lots around and available for very
    > little, and it will look and feel to her almost exactly as 98 original.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Personally, I've never had a USB problem with Win98FE and have run all sorts
    of things off of it including: Olympus 20020, Olympus 4000, HP CD/R, HP
    flatbet scanner, and probably a few other things that are slipping my mind
    at the time. I'd say your cheapest options at this point are to first try
    it with what you've got and if you have problems, look for the Win98SE "step
    up" CD that changed Win98FE to Win98SE...they go for about $10 but can be
    hard to find.

    Good luck,
    George

    george, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Roger

    Jim Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message
    >I notice that almost all camera and card reader software now specifies
    >Win98 (Second Edition) as a minimum requirement.
    >
    > The software with my Canon A95 said that either would do, and before I got
    > my new Win XP computer it worked quite happily under the original 98.
    >
    > My question is this: will the new software not operate at all under Win98
    > (First Edition), or are the companies covering themselves because it might
    > not operate properly unless you hold your mouth right? I realize that the
    > USB handling of the earlier Win98 was pretty primitive, but it was
    > possible to use it -- even if you had to limit the number of USB devices
    > in use at any one time.
    >
    > The reason for my question is that my daughter now has my old computer and
    > I'd like to know whether it is worth her while to *try* installing the
    > Canon SD300 software under the original 98.
    >
    > Any input would be most welcome.
    >
    > Roger

    USB support in Win98 was marginal at best.
    Skip to Win98SE because at least the thing has a chance to work. Or you
    could install XP because it has native support for the card drive (all you
    do is plug the cable into the USB connector).
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 17, 2005
  5. Roger

    Quaoar Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > I notice that almost all camera and card reader software now specifies
    > Win98 (Second Edition) as a minimum requirement.
    >
    > The software with my Canon A95 said that either would do, and before I
    > got my new Win XP computer it worked quite happily under the original
    > 98.
    > My question is this: will the new software not operate at all under
    > Win98 (First Edition), or are the companies covering themselves
    > because it might not operate properly unless you hold your mouth
    > right? I realize that the USB handling of the earlier Win98 was
    > pretty primitive, but it was possible to use it -- even if you had to
    > limit the number of USB devices in use at any one time.
    >
    > The reason for my question is that my daughter now has my old computer
    > and I'd like to know whether it is worth her while to *try* installing
    > the Canon SD300 software under the original 98.
    >
    > Any input would be most welcome.
    >
    > Roger

    Both Win98 FE and the computers that were designed for it have potential
    USB problems. It is most important that the driver(s) be installed
    exactly as the vendor specifies. This means, usually, that the driver
    must be installed before the OS sees the device or when the installer
    calls for connecting the device.

    Win98SE offers better USB support, but the OS cannot overcome
    deficiencies in the hardware support for USB which for computers of this
    era was spotty - particularly for those computers that were sold during
    the Win95 to Win98 transition and not specifically Win98 compatible.
    BIOS updates can often be the secret to success with USB performance for
    these computers.

    Quaoar, Dec 17, 2005