    and WinME goes blank and that's all.

    Ideas?

    Thanks

    Marek, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Marek

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Marek" <.@.> wrote in message news:8Kvse.8097$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies...
    > can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    > games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new
    > hardware?
    > I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
    > and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >
    > Ideas?

    You need a textmode driver for the SATA drive, i would imagine (when you
    install XP you get a prompt to select F6 to install the driver). Why don't
    you just install XP, then run any apps/games in compatibility mode?

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jun 17, 2005

  3. Marek

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:20:03 +1200, "Marek" <.@.> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
    >can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    >games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
    >I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
    >and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >
    >Ideas?
    >
    >Thanks

    Yes very true, 98 no longer supported even with my system XP Home SP2 works
    OK, but 98SE crashes all the time.

    Tony, Jun 17, 2005
  4. Marek

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Marek wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
    > can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    > games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
    > I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
    > and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

    Roger_Nickel, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Marek

    Marek Guest

    Will comat mode or Dos Box work? like is it a hit and miss affair - or is it
    a reliable solution? any performance impact?

    Marek, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Marek

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:21:16 +1200, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:

    >Marek wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
    >> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    >> games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
    >> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
    >> and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >>
    >> Ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

    98 must go on first then XP..

    Check with the MoBo makers if 98 is supported..

    Tony, Jun 17, 2005
  7. In article <8Kvse.8097$>, "Marek" <.@.>
    wrote:

    >I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
    >can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    >games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?

    Do you really think, when Microsoft brought out those operating systems
    in 1998 and 2000, that it was able to foresee what new kinds of hardware
    would become available in 2005?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Marek

    Marek Guest

    thanks heaps for your input - you've really contributed alot to this
    discussion.

    Marek, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Marek

    Rob J Guest

    In article <8Kvse.8097$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Jun 2005 20:20:03 +1200, Marek <.@.> says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of goodies... I
    > can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    > games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new hardware?
    > I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on startup,
    > and WinME goes blank and that's all.

    Dual booting is not supported on 98, I assume you are using some separate
    boot manager, not Windows.

    Rob J, Jun 17, 2005
  10. Marek

    Marek Guest

    it's not really an issue given 98 won't run after install - but thanks for
    helping?

    according to MS dual booting XP and 98 is fine - you just have to install
    the latest OS last.

    Feel free to learn all about dual booting windows xp with dos, win 95,
    win98, win ME on their website here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/meandxp.mspx?pf=true

    Marek, Jun 17, 2005
  11. In article <F%xse.8137$>, "Marek" <.@.>
    wrote:

    >thanks heaps for your input - you've really contributed alot to this
    >discussion.
    >

    >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In article <8Kvse.8097$>, "Marek" <.@.>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of

    >goodies... I
    >> >can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for old
    >> >games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new

    >hardware?
    >>
    >> Do you really think, when Microsoft brought out those operating systems
    >> in 1998 and 2000, that it was able to foresee what new kinds of hardware
    >> would become available in 2005?

    Don't top-post.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 17, 2005
  12. Marek

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Marek wrote:
    > Will comat mode or Dos Box work? like is it a hit and miss affair - or is it
    > a reliable solution? any performance impact?
    >

    > "Roger_Nickel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Marek wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of

    > goodies... I
    >
    >>>can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot for

    > old
    >
    >>>games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not support new

    > hardware?
    >
    >>>I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on

    > startup,
    >
    >>>and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >>>
    >>>Ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>Run the games under DOSbox, not what you want to hear but....

    The extended memory manager used with a lot of the old DOS games doesn't play
    well with XP compatability mode. DOSbox works with all the games I have tried it
    with and it is improving all the time but it is optimised for games and doesn't
    handle printing at all well. It can also be tricky to get sound working.

    Roger_Nickel, Jun 18, 2005
  13. Marek

    Marek Guest

    Is there a version of this for Windows based games? Like C&C or War2?
    I tried running C&C and it says "This is a windows based game"...?

    Marek, Jun 18, 2005
  14. Marek wrote:
    > Is there a version of this for Windows based games? Like C&C or War2?
    > I tried running C&C and it says "This is a windows based game"...?

    If you're using XP, run the games in "Windows 95 compatibility mode".

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 18, 2005
  15. Marek

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:
    > "Marek" <.@.> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of
    >> goodies... I
    >> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot
    >> for old games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not
    >> support new hardware?
    >> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on
    >> startup, and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >>
    >> Ideas?

    > You need a textmode driver for the SATA drive, i would imagine (when
    > you install XP you get a prompt to select F6 to install the driver).
    > Why don't you just install XP, then run any apps/games in
    > compatibility mode?

    I have extensive experience with this and 'compatability mode' often doesn't
    work. In fact, IME, more often than not it fails to live up to it's name.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 18, 2005
  16. Marek

    Mercury Guest

    If you have more than 768mb ram, there are issues with Win98.
    There are system.ini settings needed to restrict it to 512mb IIRC.

    If your HDD's are IDE or configured to use IDE emulation (if SATA) you
    should have no issues there. There are all sorts of partition size limits -
    if it is FAT32 then keeping the system partition under 2gb and making it the
    first partition on the disc will help.

    I'd go fishing on the mobo makers site for mention of Win98 drivers. Failing
    that, the original chipset makers. In the past to get the system up, one
    would install then upgrade to 'native' drivers to get performance (EG SCSI).

    HTH
    - Tim

    Mercury, Jun 18, 2005
  17. Marek

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:07:08 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >If you have more than 768mb ram, there are issues with Win98.
    >There are system.ini settings needed to restrict it to 512mb IIRC.
    >
    >If your HDD's are IDE or configured to use IDE emulation (if SATA) you
    >should have no issues there. There are all sorts of partition size limits -
    >if it is FAT32 then keeping the system partition under 2gb and making it the
    >first partition on the disc will help.

    I have 18gig Partitions and the work OK with 98se..

    Tony, Jun 18, 2005
  18. Marek

    Adam Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:17:28 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >Mr Scebe wrote:
    >> "Marek" <.@.> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've got a bit fat 3.2GHz HT PC with SATA RAID and all sorts of
    >>> goodies... I
    >>> can't get Win98 or WinME installed on it? I'm trying to dual boot
    >>> for old games - but can't get it going... do the old OS's not
    >>> support new hardware?
    >>> I can boot to safe mode on both, but on full boot Win98 Hangs on
    >>> startup, and WinME goes blank and that's all.
    >>>
    >>> Ideas?

    >> You need a textmode driver for the SATA drive, i would imagine (when
    >> you install XP you get a prompt to select F6 to install the driver).
    >> Why don't you just install XP, then run any apps/games in
    >> compatibility mode?

    >I have extensive experience with this and 'compatability mode' often doesn't
    >work. In fact, IME, more often than not it fails to live up to it's name.

    I tend to support that. I'm a rabid Flight Simmer and the FS
    newsgroups are full of people desperately trying to get old and
    beloved games/sims to run on the new equipment they need to run the
    latest sim.

    It very rarely works, and in nearly all cases that it did, was such a
    pain that the result just didn't compensate for all the grief. Believe
    me - these people are fanatics (one sandwich short of a train-spotter)
    and have tried most things.

    Adam.

    Adam, Jun 18, 2005
  19. Marek

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:17:28 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Mr Scebe wrote:
    >>> Why don't you just install XP, then run any apps/games in
    >>> compatibility mode?

    >> I have extensive experience with this and 'compatability mode' often
    >> doesn't work. In fact, IME, more often than not it fails to live up
    >> to it's name.

    > I tend to support that. I'm a rabid Flight Simmer and the FS
    > newsgroups are full of people desperately trying to get old and
    > beloved games/sims to run on the new equipment they need to run the
    > latest sim.
    >
    > It very rarely works, and in nearly all cases that it did, was such a
    > pain that the result just didn't compensate for all the grief. Believe
    > me - these people are fanatics (one sandwich short of a train-spotter)
    > and have tried most things.

    Yep. When I first 'upgraded' to XP I fairly quickly did a re-format and made
    the machine dual-boot with 98SE as a lot of my "beloved" older games just
    wouldn't run on XP. Believe me, I tried everything I could, hunted the web,
    emailed tech support for some games....

    The whole dual-boot thing became cumbersome after a couple of HDD upgrades
    though. Reinstalling *one* version of Windows is painful enough. In the end
    I just built up a second machine out of other peoples cast-offs and put it
    on a KVM switch/LAN with my main machine. It was plenty fast enough for
    those old games etc. anyway. (I also had a SCSI scanner that gave excellent
    results but XP drivers for it couldn't be found, even after months of
    searching and posting in driver forums). That old scanner, still working
    flawlessly with excellent output, went to the dump last week. I hate that.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 19, 2005
  20. Marek

    Rob J Guest

    In article <5iyse.8141$> in nz.comp on Fri, 17
    Jun 2005 23:14:56 +1200, Marek <.@.> says...
    > it's not really an issue given 98 won't run after install - but thanks for
    > helping?
    >
    > according to MS dual booting XP and 98 is fine - you just have to install
    > the latest OS last.
    >
    > Feel free to learn all about dual booting windows xp with dos, win 95,
    > win98, win ME on their website here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/meandxp.mspx?pf=true

    Windows 98 does not support dual booting to another OS. Windows XP does.

    If you're dual booting you are using XP's boot manager - 98 doesn't have
    one.

    Rob J, Jun 21, 2005