    anyone help?

    TIA

    Craven Birds

    Craven Birds, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > When I boot up I get the message:
    >
    > Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
    >
    > Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
    >
    > I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
    > something I've installed but don't know what!
    > How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail,
    > can anyone help?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Craven Birds

    How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > When I boot up I get the message:
    > >
    > > Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
    > >
    > > Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
    > >
    > > I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
    > > something I've installed but don't know what!
    > > How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail,
    > > can anyone help?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Craven Birds

    > How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

    The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE

    Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove a
    stick of 128RAM every things OK!

    The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for years.
    I've checked memory modules and they are OK.

    Baffled to say the least.

    CB

    Craven Birds, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Craven Birds wrote:
    >>> When I boot up I get the message:
    >>>
    >>> Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
    >>>
    >>> Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
    >>>
    >>> I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
    >>> something I've installed but don't know what!
    >>> How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no
    >>> avail, can anyone help?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Craven Birds

    >> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

    > The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
    >
    > Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove
    > a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
    >
    > The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for
    > years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
    >
    > Baffled to say the least.
    >
    > CB

    Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it can't
    find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup everything
    that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004
  5. don't use hibernation, its too hard on your system, also, use ram of the
    same make and amount, using a 256 and a 128 stick is ok but using 2 - 256
    stick would be better for your system
    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in message

    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > > When I boot up I get the message:
    > > >
    > > > Memory size is beyond the capacity of hibernation file.
    > > >
    > > > Hibernation file must be remade in MS - DOS Mode.
    > > >
    > > > I've never had this problem before, so it must have been altered by
    > > > something I've installed but don't know what!
    > > > How can I remake this file? Tried searching for a remedy to no avail,
    > > > can anyone help?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > Craven Birds

    > > How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

    > The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
    >
    > Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove a
    > stick of 128RAM every things OK!
    >
    > The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for

    years.
    > I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
    >
    > Baffled to say the least.
    >
    > CB

    ---

    robert andrews, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    robert andrews wrote:
    > don't use hibernation, its too hard on your system,

    You certainly do want to use hibernate with a laptop. That's what
    hibernation mode was designed for. How is it "hard" on a system?

    also, use ram of
    > the same make and amount, using a 256 and a 128 stick is ok but using
    > 2 - 256 stick would be better for your system

    That's only if you have a desktop system with a dual channel
    motherboard, and then it's only a convention. Using memory of the same
    type and make is good advice, but using 256 MB and 128 MB modules is
    fine in any case.

    > "Craven Birds" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

    >> The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
    >>
    >> Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I
    >> remove a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
    >>
    >> The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK
    >> for years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
    >>
    >> Baffled to say the least.
    >>
    >> CB
    >>

    > ---

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    ICee <> wrote in message
    > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > >> How much physical memory (RAM) do you have in the system?

    > > The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
    > >
    > > Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove
    > > a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
    > >
    > > The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for
    > > years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
    > >
    > > Baffled to say the least.
    > >
    > > CB

    > Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it can't
    > find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup everything
    > that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

    Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided it's the
    Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.

    As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried reformatting,
    other OS's etc.

    CB

    Craven Birds, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > ICee <> wrote in message
    >> Craven Birds wrote:
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
    >>>
    >>> Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I
    >>> remove a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
    >>>
    >>> The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK
    >>> for years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
    >>>
    >>> Baffled to say the least.
    >>>
    >>> CB

    >> Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it
    >> can't find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup
    >> everything that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

    > Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided
    > it's the Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
    >
    > As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried
    > reformatting, other OS's etc.
    >
    > CB

    You mentioned that you have a 128 MB module and a 256 Mb module and that
    if the 128 MB module is in alone, it works alright. Does it work OK
    with just the 256 MB module installed?
    Was the 128 MB the original memory?

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    > ICee <> wrote in message
    > > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > > > The machine is a Toshiba Sattelite Pro Laptop. Win98SE
    > > >
    > > > Physical memory is 320 RAM the Max the machine excepts. When I remove
    > > > a stick of 128RAM every things OK!
    > > >
    > > > The warning has only just started to happen. The machines been OK for
    > > > years. I've checked memory modules and they are OK.
    > > >
    > > > Baffled to say the least.
    > > >
    > > > CB

    > > Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it can't
    > > find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup everything
    > > that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

    > Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided it's

    the
    > Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
    >
    > As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried reformatting,
    > other OS's etc.

    Update: Hurray! Partition magic found the problem:-0 Corrected my FAT. Why
    fdisk didn't I don't know. Everything back to normal (touch wood)

    CB

    Craven Birds, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > Craven Birds <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ICee <> wrote in message

    >>> Have you defragmented the drive lately? It almost sounds like it
    >>> can't find a large enough contiguous space on the drive to backup
    >>> everything that's in memory (which is what hibernate does).

    >> Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided
    >> it's the Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
    >>
    >> As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried
    >> reformatting, other OS's etc.

    > Update: Hurray! Partition magic found the problem:-0 Corrected my
    > FAT. Why fdisk didn't I don't know. Everything back to normal (touch
    > wood)
    >

    > CB

    Excellent!

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  11. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    ICee <> wrote in message
    > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > Craven Birds <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> ICee <> wrote in message

    > >> Hi, Tried everthing now, spent hours on it:-( I've finally decided
    > >> it's the Mobo! The second memory slot seems to be malfunctioning.
    > >>
    > >> As soon as I put memory in it the system goes tits up. Tried
    > >> reformatting, other OS's etc.

    > > Update: Hurray! Partition magic found the problem:-0 Corrected my
    > > FAT. Why fdisk didn't I don't know. Everything back to normal (touch
    > > wood)
    > >

    > > CB

    > Excellent!

    No it 'ain't :-( The b*stards started to crash again! Take one mem module
    out and OK. The bloody slot seems screwed.

    BTW their was only 2 mem sticks in both identical in type, make,
    compatability and size, so that's not the problem.

    Good job I'm not a computer technician, it would cost my clients a fortune
    to diagnose and repair their comps:-0

    Cheers

    CB

    Craven Birds, Jan 14, 2004
  12. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > ICee <> wrote in message
    >> Craven Birds wrote:
    >>> Craven Birds <> wrote in message

    >>> Update: Hurray! Partition magic found the problem:-0 Corrected my
    >>> FAT. Why fdisk didn't I don't know. Everything back to normal (touch
    >>> wood)
    >>>

    >>> CB

    >> Excellent!

    > No it 'ain't :-( The b*stards started to crash again! Take one mem
    > module out and OK. The bloody slot seems screwed.
    >
    > BTW their was only 2 mem sticks in both identical in type, make,
    > compatability and size, so that's not the problem.
    >
    > Good job I'm not a computer technician, it would cost my clients a
    > fortune to diagnose and repair their comps:-0
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > CB

    It's posible one stick is bad. Have you tried just one stick and then
    the other? You can test it with this:
    www.memtest86.com .

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  13. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    ICee <> wrote in message
    > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > ICee <> wrote in message

    > >> Excellent!

    > > No it 'ain't :-( The b*stards started to crash again! Take one mem
    > > module out and OK. The bloody slot seems screwed.
    > >
    > > BTW their was only 2 mem sticks in both identical in type, make,
    > > compatability and size, so that's not the problem.
    > >
    > > Good job I'm not a computer technician, it would cost my clients a
    > > fortune to diagnose and repair their comps:-0
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > CB

    > It's posible one stick is bad. Have you tried just one stick and then
    > the other? You can test it with this:
    > www.memtest86.com .

    Done that same result and also tested mem. with tufftest pro! I've never
    experienced a bad slot in my life!

    CB

    Craven Birds, Jan 14, 2004
  14. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > ICee <> wrote in message
    >> Craven Birds wrote:
    >>> ICee <> wrote in message

    >>> No it 'ain't :-( The b*stards started to crash again! Take one mem
    >>> module out and OK. The bloody slot seems screwed.
    >>>
    >>> BTW their was only 2 mem sticks in both identical in type, make,
    >>> compatability and size, so that's not the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Good job I'm not a computer technician, it would cost my clients a
    >>> fortune to diagnose and repair their comps:-0
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> CB

    >> It's posible one stick is bad. Have you tried just one stick and
    >> then the other? You can test it with this:
    >> www.memtest86.com .

    > Done that same result and also tested mem. with tufftest pro! I've
    > never experienced a bad slot in my life!
    >
    > CB

    As the old adage goes, there's always a first time. :(

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004