    Not something I have ever encountered before.
    Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?

    tia, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 28, 2003

  2. "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > multiple files.
    >
    > Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete files)
    > sometimes not at all.
    >
    > Not something I have ever encountered before.
    > Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?

    Run the Internet Explorer repair tool. Start->Settings->Control
    panel->Add/remove programs->Select Internet explorer and click the button to
    "Remove" it->Select "Repair" and click Ok.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Peter Huebner

    Rider Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > > multiple files.
    > >
    > > Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete files)
    > > sometimes not at all.
    > >
    > > Not something I have ever encountered before.
    > > Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?

    > Run the Internet Explorer repair tool. Start->Settings->Control
    > panel->Add/remove programs->Select Internet explorer and click the button

    > "Remove" it->Select "Repair" and click Ok.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    I think he means Windows Explorer. Check for viruses maybe?

    Rider

    Rider, Jul 28, 2003
  4. "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour

    of
    > > > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > > > multiple files.
    > > >
    > > > Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete

    files)
    > > > sometimes not at all.
    > > >
    > > > Not something I have ever encountered before.
    > > > Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?

    > > Run the Internet Explorer repair tool. Start->Settings->Control
    > > panel->Add/remove programs->Select Internet explorer and click the

    button
    > > "Remove" it->Select "Repair" and click Ok.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock
    > >

    > I think he means Windows Explorer. Check for viruses maybe?
    >
    > Rider

    And I was also talking about Windows Explorer. Windows explorer=Internet
    explorer.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Peter Huebner

    Col^ Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:14:53 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock" <>
    wrote:

    >"Rider" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message

    >of

    >files)

    >> > Run the Internet Explorer repair tool. Start->Settings->Control
    >> > panel->Add/remove programs->Select Internet explorer and click the

    >button
    >> > "Remove" it->Select "Repair" and click Ok.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,
    >> > Nicholas Sherlock
    >> >

    >> I think he means Windows Explorer. Check for viruses maybe?
    >>
    >> Rider

    >And I was also talking about Windows Explorer. Windows explorer=Internet
    >explorer.

    Does it ? LOL

    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..

    Col^, Jul 28, 2003
  6. "Col^" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:14:53 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Rider" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    behaviour
    > >of

    it's

    > >files)

    > >button

    > >> I think he means Windows Explorer. Check for viruses maybe?
    > >>
    > >> Rider

    > >And I was also talking about Windows Explorer. Windows explorer=Internet
    > >explorer.
    > >

    > Does it ? LOL

    Yes.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003
  7. Peter Huebner

    Steve Guest

    Peter Huebner allegedly said:

    > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > multiple files.
    >
    > Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete files)
    > sometimes not at all.
    >
    > Not something I have ever encountered before.
    > Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?
    >
    > tia, -Peter

    You may have too many temp files

    or

    You may be short on swap space

    or

    Virus - one of those memory-eating little buggers that leaves your system
    almost max-ed out right after booting.

    or

    stuffed file required to use explorer...and when you try to run it,
    explorerr bombs.

    Get any messages?

    --
    Steve
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war;
    neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
    nor for that matter in Germany.
    That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
    of the country who determine the policy and
    it is always a simple matter to drag the people
    along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
    dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
    dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
    always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same way
    in any country."
    - Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

    Steve, Jul 28, 2003
  8. Peter Huebner

    Ben Perston Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:14:53 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    >>And I was also talking about Windows Explorer. Windows explorer=Internet
    >>explorer.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Nicholas Sherlock

    > Nope.
    > The "Windows explorer" in Windows 9x is the GUI file manager program.
    > In Windows 95 it also has the job of drawing the "desktop".
    > "Internet Explorer" is the interweb browser thingy (ie: Netscape clone).
    >
    > HTH
    > Murray.

    In Windows 98 and onwards (and I think on 95 when you installed some
    update thing that buggered your computer) windows explorer is just
    internet explorer with the sidebar thing set to folders - you can type
    interweb addresses and such into the address bar. It sucked in Windows
    98, as I recall, which is why I used the Windows 95 shell (courtesy of
    98micro) with it (where windows explorer is a separate programme, and
    internet explorer need not be installed at all).

    Ben Perston, Jul 28, 2003
  9. "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:14:53 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >> >
    > >> I think he means Windows Explorer. Check for viruses maybe?
    > >>
    > >> Rider

    > > And I was also talking about Windows Explorer. Windows explorer=Internet
    > > explorer.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock

    > Nope.
    > The "Windows explorer" in Windows 9x is the GUI file manager program.
    > In Windows 95 it also has the job of drawing the "desktop".
    > "Internet Explorer" is the interweb browser thingy (ie: Netscape clone).

    Get your facts straight, please :). From Windows 98 onwards, Internet
    Explorer is the application used for all aspects of windows folder
    navigation.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003
  10. Peter Huebner

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:17:51 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:14:53 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]

    >> > And I was also talking about Windows Explorer. Windows
    >> > explorer=Internet explorer.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,
    >> > Nicholas Sherlock

    >> Nope.
    >> The "Windows explorer" in Windows 9x is the GUI file manager program. In
    >> Windows 95 it also has the job of drawing the "desktop". "Internet
    >> Explorer" is the interweb browser thingy (ie: Netscape clone).
    >>

    > Get your facts straight, please :). From Windows 98 onwards, Internet
    > Explorer is the application used for all aspects of windows folder
    > navigation.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    No, in Windows 98 the IE-based desktop (called "active desktop", at the
    time) was still only an option. If you don't select it, it still uses
    the "explorer" program as per Windows95. Win 98SE may be different,
    though.

    Murray Symon, Jul 28, 2003
  11. Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > multiple files.
    >
    > Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete files)
    > sometimes not at all.
    >
    > Not something I have ever encountered before.
    > Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?

    I have some corrupt avi files that will cause explorer in xp and 2000 to crash
    when it trys to render the thumbnail of them. could something similar be
    happening there?

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 28, 2003
  12. Peter Huebner

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:22:18 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    >crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    >multiple files.
    >
    >Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete files)
    >sometimes not at all.
    >
    >Not something I have ever encountered before.
    >Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?
    >
    >tia, -Peter

    Thats Windows. I have had similar such things occur but if given
    time, they sometimes correct themselves. Lately I get a quickcopy
    dialogue box when right-clicking on a folder in the left folder
    window, instead of the normal pop-up right-click menu.

    What do you know! Thanks to your post it dawned on me what the
    problem was and I fixed it! It had something to do with QuickCopy
    (which I never use) from Nuts & Bolts I have installed.

    I have installed PowerDesk, a Windows Explorer replacement from
    www.ontrack.com (free version) and find that everything works
    perfectly. I keep losing the Install option when right-clicking on a
    ..inf file in Explorer but it is still there in PowerDesk.

    GraB, Jul 28, 2003
  13. Peter Huebner

    Worm Guest

    > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > multiple files.

    I had something similar happen to me with my Win98 install. Gone now, I've
    joinde the dark side (XP). Moving file (usually multiple ones) seemed to
    hang the system. Plenty of system resources available said "My Computer"...
    *shrug*. can't help - but at least you know you're not the only one that
    has come across it.

    Worm

    Worm, Jul 28, 2003
  14. In article <>,
    says...
    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > > multiple files.
    > >

    > I had something similar happen to me with my Win98 install. Gone now, I've
    > joinde the dark side (XP). Moving file (usually multiple ones) seemed to
    > hang the system. Plenty of system resources available said "My Computer"...
    > *shrug*. can't help - but at least you know you're not the only one that
    > has come across it.
    >

    > Worm

    I have a double boot system. Need to have XP because I troubleshoot some
    XP based installations around here. Funnily enough, I still prefer 98 as
    my day-to-day OS: it's a lot leaner and with the exception of USB (which
    is questionable in 98) and plug and play digital camera I get the same
    functionality. XP crashes [with] games and some software (e.g. Kazaa
    Lite) that run fine on my 98.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 28, 2003
  15. In article <bg25i4$bv3$>, says...
    > Run the Internet Explorer repair tool. Start->Settings->Control
    > panel->Add/remove programs->Select Internet explorer and click the button to
    > "Remove" it->Select "Repair" and click Ok.

    Thanks again, Nicholas, have performed the operation and will wait and
    see what happens next.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 28, 2003
  16. Peter Huebner

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:11:36 GMT, bambam <>
    wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have installed PowerDesk, a Windows Explorer replacement from
    >> www.ontrack.com (free version) and find that everything works
    >> perfectly. I keep losing the Install option when right-clicking on a
    >> .inf file in Explorer but it is still there in PowerDesk.

    >Ontrack no longer have PowerDesk, Vcom Products are now the agents-
    >
    >http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html
    >
    >A great program. :)

    Yes, there seems to be some programme juggling lately.

    GraB, Jul 28, 2003
  17. Peter Huebner

    Fran Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <Pc2Va.7729$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> You may have too many temp files
    >>

    > I will try to follow that up.
    >
    >> or
    >>
    >> You may be short on swap space
    >>

    > Nope. 2 gig fixed size should be plenty. Also, shouldn't be needed for
    > file delete.
    >
    >> or
    >>
    >> Virus - one of those memory-eating little buggers that leaves your system
    >> almost max-ed out right after booting.
    >>

    > that I had tested for already.
    >
    >> or
    >>
    >> stuffed file required to use explorer...and when you try to run it,
    >> explorerr bombs.
    >>
    >> Get any messages?

    > nothing useful. "Exploder performed an illegal operation and needs to be
    > shut down". Automatically starts up again (just as unstable) and half my
    > systray icons are gone to never never land (major nuissance - I need
    > access to some software like SkyMedia, Netlaunch, Wingate and Mercury at
    > times) even though the software is still running all right. <sigh>
    >
    > Well, for all I know I may have it licked now.
    >
    > -P.

    If explorer bombs then it is usual to lose the icons.
    Tried updating IE?
    Uninstall IE to a previous version and then upgrade?

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Jul 28, 2003
  18. Peter Huebner

    RK Guest

    > Off late, my Win98 Explorer has developed the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > crashing every time I try to move or delete files, especially if it's
    > multiple files.
    >
    > Sometimes it works for a wee while after boot (i.e. I can delete files)
    > sometimes not at all.
    >
    > Not something I have ever encountered before.
    > Does anybody know a fix and or reason for this weirdness?
    >
    > tia, -Peter

    Try setting your virtual memory to a fixed file size (Say 250mb min & max)
    then reboot, then defrag (after doing a scandisk), then once defragged set
    the virtual memory back to being handled by windows and reboot. (also get
    rid of any temp files first)

    RK, Jul 28, 2003
  19. Peter Huebner

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Rider" wrote
    > Uummm .... righteo

    While not strictly true(WE=IE), the fix he gave does fix it as when
    you update IE, it also(usually) updates your shell too, the shell in
    this case being explorer.exe

    T.N.O., Jul 29, 2003
  20. Peter Huebner

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > I installed 98SE with 98Lite from http://www.litepc.com/ (they are
    > working on versions for 2000 and XP). I need the 98SE shell so didn't
    > go for the leanest option with the 95 shell. There is no HTML in
    > Explorer, no active desktop. Explorer looks a lot like the Win95
    > Explorer. It is possible to install 98SE without Internet Explorer
    > altogether, if no other programmes need it. But Windows Explorer is
    > still there. Windows Explorer runs from explorer.exe, Internet
    > Explorer runs from iexplore.exe.

    I take it you went for a "chubby" install ? How often do you need to
    reboot ?, I usually don't leave it more than 4 days.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Jul 29, 2003