Win98 - DCHP IP but no ping DHCP server

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Simon Woods, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    Hi

    I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine joining
    my network wirelessly.

    See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking

    I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've removed
    all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and now decided
    to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router which I'm now
    plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.

    The router is acting as DHCP server.

    I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine
    but my machine can't ping the DHCP server. It can ping itself both by
    "ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"

    There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me, but
    I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an entry)

    I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98 about
    8 times so far!!)

    Any suggestions

    Thanks

    Simon
    Simon Woods, Mar 27, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Simon Woods

    CJT Guest

    Simon Woods wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine joining
    > my network wirelessly.
    >
    > See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking
    >
    > I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've removed
    > all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and now decided
    > to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router which I'm now
    > plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.
    >
    > The router is acting as DHCP server.
    >
    > I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine


    so obviously those two are talking (which means the rudiments of
    networking are installed and functional)

    of course, if all that's connected to the wired router is this one
    machine, you're not going to pass much data through it <g>

    > but my machine can't ping the DHCP server.


    some routers (optionally) won't respond to pings for security reasons,
    so that in itself isn't necessarily a problem -- if you're getting an
    address from it, you must have a connection

    but many routers have setup screens accessible via a browser; you might
    explore those

    It can ping itself both by
    > "ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"
    >

    no problem there

    > There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me, but
    > I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an entry)
    >


    it sounds like your wireless connection isn't being established

    but you probably knew that

    have you installed the drivers for the wireless card, etc.?

    are you sure the wireless stuff works?

    when you go into My Computer -> Control Panel -> Network, is your
    wireless card there, and bound to TCP/IP?

    are there any status lights on the wireless equipment, and what do
    they tell you?

    > I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98 about
    > 8 times so far!!)


    then it's time to try something different

    I don't think the problem is with basic TCP/IP and Win98 networking --
    that the machine will talk to the router demonstrates those are working
    >
    > Any suggestions


    sorry, I don't do wireless

    my comments have addressed the networking bits that have little/nothing
    to do with wireless, but about which you seemed to be concerned

    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Simon



    --
    The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .
    CJT, Mar 27, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    Thanks CJT - in line

    CJT wrote:
    > Simon Woods wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine
    >> joining my network wirelessly.
    >>
    >> See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking
    >>
    >> I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've
    >> removed all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and
    >> now decided to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router
    >> which I'm now plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.
    >>
    >> The router is acting as DHCP server.
    >>
    >> I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine

    >
    >
    > so obviously those two are talking (which means the rudiments of
    > networking are installed and functional)
    >
    > of course, if all that's connected to the wired router is this one
    > machine, you're not going to pass much data through it <g>
    >
    >> but my machine can't ping the DHCP server.

    >
    >
    > some routers (optionally) won't respond to pings for security reasons,
    > so that in itself isn't necessarily a problem -- if you're getting an
    > address from it, you must have a connection
    >
    > but many routers have setup screens accessible via a browser; you might
    > explore those


    I've tried the admin screen from IE but it can't find it - which seems
    to suggest one-way traffic --- dhcp-server => PC.

    >
    > It can ping itself both by
    >
    >> "ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"
    >>

    > no problem there
    >
    >> There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me,
    >> but I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an
    >> entry)
    >>

    >
    > it sounds like your wireless connection isn't being established
    >
    > but you probably knew that
    >
    > have you installed the drivers for the wireless card, etc.?
    >
    > are you sure the wireless stuff works?
    >
    > when you go into My Computer -> Control Panel -> Network, is your
    > wireless card there, and bound to TCP/IP?
    >
    > are there any status lights on the wireless equipment, and what do
    > they tell you?


    Yes ... yes ... yes ... default gateway set DNS stuff set ... shimmering
    lights green on both the router and NIC when booting up then solid green.

    This used to work. I've had it working both with Win98 and WinXP
    wirelessly previously on this same machine --- but now it just 'won't take'!

    >> I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98
    >> about 8 times so far!!)

    >
    >
    > then it's time to try something different
    >
    > I don't think the problem is with basic TCP/IP and Win98 networking --
    > that the machine will talk to the router demonstrates those are working


    I was concerned because of multiple devices sharing the same IRQ, so
    I've pulled things back to a bare minimum ... taken out all expansion
    cards, disabled in BIOS all devices which are sharing the IRQ which the
    card will use --- so I've got a pretty basic setup. I've tried disabling
    IRQ steering but no good

    I've also tried wireless and wired connections. The wired connection
    gives a DHCP-originated ip address which I don't get wirelessly, but
    still can't ping the router nor open it's admin screen.

    I'm beginning to think it must be a hardware problem, but the thing is
    that I've used the on-board lan connection for wired and an expansion
    card for wireless onto 2 different routers and the results are the same
    .... it don't work (other than for wired I get a DHCP-originated ip
    address!) which makes me think it's something basic I'm missing.

    I've other win98 machines on my wireless network and they work fine!

    .... and it used to work !!

    Thanks again for your help

    Simon
    Simon Woods, Mar 27, 2005
    #3
  4. Simon Woods

    CJT Guest

    Simon Woods wrote:
    > Thanks CJT - in line
    >
    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Woods wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I've been having problems getting an XP/win98 dual boot machine
    >>> joining my network wirelessly.
    >>>
    >>> See "Wireless connected - can't ping" on ms.public.win98.networking
    >>>
    >>> I've thought it was perhaps a problem with IRQ conflict so I've
    >>> removed all expansion cards including the Wireless network card and
    >>> now decided to try and configure the onboard lan. I've a spare router
    >>> which I'm now plugging in directly to the lan connection of the machine.
    >>>
    >>> The router is acting as DHCP server.
    >>>
    >>> I'm finding now that the router is assigning an IP address to my machine

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> so obviously those two are talking (which means the rudiments of
    >> networking are installed and functional)
    >>
    >> of course, if all that's connected to the wired router is this one
    >> machine, you're not going to pass much data through it <g>
    >>
    >>> but my machine can't ping the DHCP server.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> some routers (optionally) won't respond to pings for security reasons,
    >> so that in itself isn't necessarily a problem -- if you're getting an
    >> address from it, you must have a connection
    >>
    >> but many routers have setup screens accessible via a browser; you might
    >> explore those

    >
    >
    > I've tried the admin screen from IE but it can't find it - which seems
    > to suggest one-way traffic --- dhcp-server => PC.
    >
    >>
    >> It can ping itself both by
    >>
    >>> "ping localhost" and "ping DHCP-assigned address"
    >>>

    >> no problem there
    >>
    >>> There's nothing in the arp table (... don't know what that tells me,
    >>> but I seem to think that when it has been working, there has been an
    >>> entry)
    >>>

    >>
    >> it sounds like your wireless connection isn't being established
    >>
    >> but you probably knew that
    >>
    >> have you installed the drivers for the wireless card, etc.?
    >>
    >> are you sure the wireless stuff works?
    >>
    >> when you go into My Computer -> Control Panel -> Network, is your
    >> wireless card there, and bound to TCP/IP?
    >>
    >> are there any status lights on the wireless equipment, and what do
    >> they tell you?

    >
    >
    > Yes ... yes ... yes ... default gateway set DNS stuff set ... shimmering
    > lights green on both the router and NIC when booting up then solid green.
    >
    > This used to work. I've had it working both with Win98 and WinXP
    > wirelessly previously on this same machine --- but now it just 'won't
    > take'!
    >
    >>> I've tried re-installing tcp/ip. (I've actually re-installed Win98
    >>> about 8 times so far!!)

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> then it's time to try something different
    >>
    >> I don't think the problem is with basic TCP/IP and Win98 networking --
    >> that the machine will talk to the router demonstrates those are working

    >
    >
    > I was concerned because of multiple devices sharing the same IRQ, so
    > I've pulled things back to a bare minimum ... taken out all expansion
    > cards, disabled in BIOS all devices which are sharing the IRQ which the
    > card will use --- so I've got a pretty basic setup. I've tried disabling
    > IRQ steering but no good
    >
    > I've also tried wireless and wired connections. The wired connection
    > gives a DHCP-originated ip address which I don't get wirelessly, but
    > still can't ping the router nor open it's admin screen.
    >
    > I'm beginning to think it must be a hardware problem, but the thing is
    > that I've used the on-board lan connection for wired and an expansion
    > card for wireless onto 2 different routers and the results are the same
    > ... it don't work (other than for wired I get a DHCP-originated ip
    > address!) which makes me think it's something basic I'm missing.
    >
    > I've other win98 machines on my wireless network and they work fine!
    >
    > ... and it used to work !!
    >
    > Thanks again for your help
    >
    > Simon


    Although I don't profess to know anything about wireless, the one
    bit that is present with most wireless devices that isn't present
    with most wired connections is an extra layer of security -- e.g.
    password protection -- since otherwise it would be so easy to tap
    in uninvited. Could that be the source of the problem?

    --
    The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .
    CJT, Mar 27, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RC4gTW9vcmU=?=

    MS has botched the Wireless networking DCHP

    =?Utf-8?B?RC4gTW9vcmU=?=, Sep 6, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    631
    Chuck
    Sep 7, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=

    Can not ping myself, but can ping others

    =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=, Dec 25, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    5,925
    Chuck
    Dec 26, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0SldyaWdodA==?=

    DCHP/IP Addresses

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0SldyaWdodA==?=, Jun 23, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    11,518
    =?Utf-8?B?VEhFcmlrc2Vu?=
    Dec 11, 2005
  4. Bob Simon
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    7,080
    John Lamar
    Jan 19, 2005
  5. Tony

    seting up DCHP client

    Tony, Mar 5, 2007, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    400
Loading...

Share This Page