win98 crossovered to xp home problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by poster, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. poster

    poster Guest

    2 isolated PCs conected as above also
    tcp,f&p sharing installed,set private 192 adresses, no dns
    dhcp,disabled firewall,Guest non-restricted-anonymous accounts on both
    (also tryed making normal same name accounts),lmhosts&netbios-over-
    tcp enabled(is it needed?),
    w98 node type-broadcast,xp node type unknown,
    xp services started (workstation, server, tcp netbios helper,comp
    browser,..),shared folders on both(share level access control on w98),

    now errors

    can ping w98 cannot ping xphome
    xp: (fast switching enabled)
    -net view->'list of servers for workgroup not available'
    however net view w98pc shows shared folder on w98
    -guest xp account does not have network neighbourhood link anywhere
    so with admin level user account ,trying to view workgroup in My
    Network Places gives
    '<workgroup is not accessible you might not have permission.... list
    of servers for this workgroup is not currently available...'
    -net logon service on xp cannot be activated(stops upon manual start)
    -no local security policy option in admin tools
    98:
    -net view->'the pc sharing resources in workgroup cannot be located..'
    -"Unable to Browse the Network" When You Click Network Neighborhood
    -other password, button not available in control panel/passwords

    any input appreciated?
    poster, Mar 2, 2009

  2. poster

    VanguardLH Guest

    poster wrote:

    > no dns dhcp

    You are using static IP addresses for all your intranet hosts? You
    don't find them using hostnames?

    > Guest non-restricted-anonymous accounts on both

    Do you have the guest account disabled in Windows XP? The above (which
    is difficult to decipher due to excessive condensing of text) only says
    the accounts are defined, not whether they are enabled or not.

    See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418978.aspx. The Guest
    account is also described in the Microsoft KB article at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489. Here they conflict with their
    advice above by recommending to NOT disable the Guest account. However,
    almost every security scanner checking for hardness of your host will
    tell you to disable this account because of default of not having a
    password to login. All tell you to create a normal user account (i.e.,
    a limited user account) instead of using the Guest account.

    Also read:
    http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/49437/windows-guest-account-best-practices.html
    http://www.ghacks.net/2007/12/03/disable-the-windows-xp-guest-account-correctly/
    http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/01/14/the-guest-account-is-the-hackers-holy-grail/

    Until I read the above, I couldn't figure out why file sharing ceased to
    function between my host OS and a guest OS in a virtual machine (and I
    had to resort to using VirtualPC's shared folder feature which is part
    of the VM Additions install). If you decide to enable the Guest account
    and turn it on, be sure to set a STRONG password on it.

    "Tips for creating a strong password"
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/37565844-50dc-47e7-9260-a5a0e903db571033.mspx

    > tcp enabled(is it needed?),

    How else did you expect to use Ethernet?

    > can ping w98 cannot ping xphome

    Are you pinging by IP address (192.168.x.x) or by IP name (hostname)?

    > xp: (fast switching enabled)

    FUS (Fast User Switching) only relates to having multiple Windows
    accounts currently opened. Nothing to do with networking.

    > -guest xp account does not have network neighbourhood link anywhere

    From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489:

    "By default, the Guest account is disabled in Windows XP Home Edition
    and in Windows XP Professional."

    - yet -

    "When a computer does not join to a domain, the Guest account serves
    several special functions that relate to security and to network
    shares."

    So you have a account named "Guest" on your Windows XP host - but is it
    actually enabled?
    VanguardLH, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Hi,

    1. Check the firewall settings on windows xp.Firewall will disable
    "ICMP" protocol,that may return the ping cmd host not found error.

    2. Setup a new network on the windows xp. To set a new network option
    should be there on accessories with a small home as icon.

    3. Add it to workgroup such as MSHOME .. or as you like,try to make
    the two computer on the same network.

    4. Create a folder with everyone full permission for testing.

    5. Try to access the shares for both the computers.Mean try to access
    the xp share from 98 and vice versa.

    Hope this will work...

    Thanks & Regards
    Melbin Mathew
    MELBIN MATHEW, Mar 3, 2009
  4. poster

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:50:50 -0800 (PST), poster wrote:

    x-post trimmed from
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk
    to 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    crossovered?

    >2 isolated PCs conected as above also
    >tcp,f&p sharing installed,set private 192 adresses, no dns

    Same subnet mask?

    >dhcp,disabled firewall,Guest non-restricted-anonymous accounts on both
    >(also tryed making normal same name accounts),lmhosts&netbios-over-

    Don't need lmhosts, can untick it.

    You haven't put the 2 PCs IPs names in hosts?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

    >tcp enabled(is it needed?),
    >w98 node type-broadcast,xp node type unknown,
    >xp services started (workstation, server, tcp netbios helper,comp
    >browser,..),shared folders on both(share level access control on w98),
    >
    >now errors
    >
    >can ping w98 cannot ping xphome

    Ping using IP or names?

    >xp: (fast switching enabled)

    That's an error (fast switching)?

    >-net view->'list of servers for workgroup not available'

    Both PCs in same workgroup?

    Switch on the XP before the W98.

    Repeating some stuff mentioned in 24HSHD before,

    Some background and what the numbers from the output of nbtstat mean.
    http://www.petri.co.il/registration_of_netbios_names.htm

    ripped from an old post
    From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Belkin Wireless G Routers (sucks?)
    Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 17:58:25 GMT
    ---------------------
    It can take up to 12 minutes for this to work. Although mentioned in the
    next 2 articles about larger scale LANS and domain controllers IIRC the
    timing is similar anyway.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305
    Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
    Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/43dce7f8-0741-...
    How Computer Browser Service Works

    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_the_microsoft_computer_browser_service.htm
    What is the Microsoft Computer Browser service?

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/59166-35-computer-browser-service

    Check the event log for browser service errors.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875362
    The Computer Browser service does not start and event ID 7024 is logged
    when you restart your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

    How it works in the big scheme of things.

    nbtstat -a <IPaddress>

    helps when looking at naming issues, also the output of

    ipconfig/all

    although you shouldn't have any issues with the node type.

    Here is larger scale doc mentioning the OS order
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc767154.aspx
    in table 3.2
    ---------------------

    www.google.com for the

    workgroup is not accessible you might not have permission

    net logon service on xp cannot be activated

    Me
    why?, Mar 3, 2009
  5. In message <>,
    poster wrote:
    > 2 isolated PCs conected as above also

    In Other Words...you're trying to network w98 & wXP with a
    CROSSOVER CABLE?
    THeres your problem right there.
    Get a proper router and use that.
    I spent the bettr part of a week trying the crossover cable approach
    and wound up reading MANY forums to see if its possible.
    Final Answer: sometimes, but usually with errors and dropped connections.
    w98 was'nt ment for networking.
    FYI
    HTH

    -James Madison