Win98 box intermittantly getting 'No permission to access resource' error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Remmy, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    We have a small peer to peer network setup with 4 computers. Two computers
    are running WinXP Pro, one is running Mac OSX, and the 4th is running Win98
    (we have a custom app running on the '98 box that will not run on XP).

    The network has been setup and working fine for years. Recently when
    browsing the network from the '98 box we can see (ping, etc...) the other
    computers listed in Network Neighborhood but sometimes can not access the
    resources. The message is

    "\\Mac (or other computer name) not accessible

    No permission to access resource."

    When this happens I can only see the name of the other computer in Network
    Neighborhood, but cant get a level lower to actually see the shared
    resources (printers & directories).

    This can happen trying to access the XP machines or the Mac. If one machine
    is not accessible the other still are (eg. I can access XP box A & the Mac,
    but not the XP box B, OR I can access both XP box A and B, but not the Mac,
    etc...)

    Rebooting the '98 box and the non accessible machine several times fixes the
    problem, but it will happen again either with the same machine, or different
    machines several days later (all computers are shut down at night, so
    basically it is hit or miss whether we will be able to connect to a
    particular machine when everything is started up cold).

    Boot order of the machines doesn't make a difference as the problem can
    happen even if just the '98 box and only one other computer are turned on.

    When a computer is not accessible to the '98 box it still is to the other
    computers.

    All firewalls have been disabled.

    I have deleted the PWL file on the 98 box and re-entered passwords for the
    shares.

    Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated as it has been working
    flawlessly for years. Nothing has changed on the '98 box and no software has
    been installed recently.

    TIA
    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Remmy

    John Holmes Guest

    Remmy blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > We have a

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

    > TIA

    Oh dear...

    --
    Your mother was a cruel weasel who checked every trashcan for cigarette
    butts in disused mines.
    John Holmes, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Remmy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Remmy" <> wrote in news:1131297752.132996@boromir:

    > We have a small peer to peer network setup with 4 computers. Two
    > computers are running WinXP Pro, one is running Mac OSX, and the 4th
    > is running Win98 (we have a custom app running on the '98 box that
    > will not run on XP).
    >
    > The network has been setup and working fine for years. Recently when
    > browsing the network from the '98 box we can see (ping, etc...) the
    > other computers listed in Network Neighborhood but sometimes can not
    > access the resources. The message is
    >
    > "\\Mac (or other computer name) not accessible
    >
    > No permission to access resource."
    >

    > When this happens I can only see the name of the other computer in
    > Network Neighborhood, but cant get a level lower to actually see the
    > shared resources (printers & directories).
    >

    > This can happen trying to access the XP machines or the Mac. If one
    > machine is not accessible the other still are (eg. I can access XP box
    > A & the Mac, but not the XP box B, OR I can access both XP box A and
    > B, but not the Mac, etc...)
    >
    > Rebooting the '98 box and the non accessible machine several times
    > fixes the problem, but it will happen again either with the same
    > machine, or different machines several days later (all computers are
    > shut down at night, so basically it is hit or miss whether we will be
    > able to connect to a particular machine when everything is started up
    > cold).
    >
    > Boot order of the machines doesn't make a difference as the problem
    > can happen even if just the '98 box and only one other computer are
    > turned on.
    >
    > When a computer is not accessible to the '98 box it still is to the
    > other computers.
    >
    > All firewalls have been disabled.
    >
    > I have deleted the PWL file on the 98 box and re-entered passwords for
    > the shares.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated as it has been
    > working flawlessly for years. Nothing has changed on the '98 box and
    > no software has been installed recently.

    You can only have so many concurrent connections to the XP machine and
    Pro is 10 at one time. I am not talking about 10 computers with a single
    connection with 10 computers concurrently connected at one time to a
    machine. One machine could have more than one connection to the XP
    machine based on the applications or programs running on a machine for
    the machine doing the connecting.

    So if one machine has 6 connections open concurrently to a machine, one
    machine has 3 open, another one has 1 open to that same machine and
    another machine tries to connect to that machine, the last machine is
    going to get kicked to the curb with access denied.

    You should check to see how many connections are open on the machine when
    you start having this problem.

    This problem could be happening in the case where one machine is acting
    as the gateway computer for the network instead of using a router as the
    gateway device in a P2P.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    All machines are using the Router as the gateway.

    This problem can happen immediately after boot/reboot, with only Win '98 box
    and one other computer turned on (no connections to XP box).

    When this problem happens the other computers can still connect to each
    other (XP box A wont let '98 box connect, but XP box B can still connect
    even if it was not previously connected).

    Everything has been working great for years. Now with no changes to
    hardware/software/or usage we are having this problem.

    Thanks

    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Remmy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Remmy" <> wrote in news:1131300902.940985@faramir:

    > All machines are using the Router as the gateway.
    >
    > This problem can happen immediately after boot/reboot, with only Win
    > '98 box and one other computer turned on (no connections to XP box).
    >
    > When this problem happens the other computers can still connect to
    > each other (XP box A wont let '98 box connect, but XP box B can still
    > connect even if it was not previously connected).
    >
    > Everything has been working great for years. Now with no changes to
    > hardware/software/or usage we are having this problem.

    How long have you had the router? Maybe, it's on it's way out. They don't
    last for ever.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    Doubt it is the router as I can still see the other computers from Win98
    box, also other computers are not having this problem. Internet etc. still
    working fine on '98 Box. Multiple reboots of computers (not router fixes
    problem)

    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005
  7. Remmy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The NIC doesn't last forever either. You mentioned Win 9'x as the O/S. Is
    the machine that old with the NIC? Have you tried another NIC in the
    machine? You say it's not the router but you're having network problems.
    That leaves the NIC and the wire.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 6, 2005
  8. Remmy

    Mitch Guest

    In article <1131301614.834966@aragorn>, Remmy <> wrote:

    > Doubt it is the router as I can still see the other computers from Win98
    > box, also other computers are not having this problem. Internet etc. still
    > working fine on '98 Box. Multiple reboots of computers (not router fixes
    > problem)

    You can still see the other computers, or the computers and files
    merely APPEAR to be there?
    The proof is in being able to open a file on the other computer.
    Mitch, Nov 6, 2005
  9. Remmy

    Mitch Guest

    In article <1131297752.132996@boromir>, Remmy <> wrote:

    > We have a small peer to peer network setup with 4 computers. Two computers
    > are running WinXP Pro, one is running Mac OSX, and the 4th is running Win98
    > (we have a custom app running on the '98 box that will not run on XP).

    If you start up the various machines in the same sequence each time,
    and access them in the same sequence each time, does the same machine
    (the last one) remain inaccessible each time?

    Have you tried power cycling the router? Does the router get powered
    down differently now than it used to?
    Mitch, Nov 6, 2005
  10. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    The NIC is a few years old.

    Dont think it is a 'networking' problem persay. I think it is more of a
    permission problem.
    Remember that I when access is denied to one computer I can still access
    other computers.

    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005
  11. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    Can open files.

    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005
  12. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    Under normal conditions the router never gets powered down (I have power
    cycled it many times in trouble shooting this problem).

    Order the machines are booted doesn't not matter.

    In everyday use there are usually only 2 machines on.
    1. The Win '98 machine
    2. On of the XP machines or the Mac.

    Sometimes the problem is there other times everything is OK. If the problem
    is there, or not and I turn on another machine the 98 box may or may not
    connect to the new machine (even if it is /is not connecting to the first),
    but I do see all computers listed in Network Neighborhood. I can ping all
    computers. Internet and TCP/IP printing direct to printer works fine on '98
    box.

    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005
  13. Remmy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Remmy" <> wrote in news:1131303870.905359@faramir:

    > The NIC is a few years old.
    >
    > Dont think it is a 'networking' problem persay. I think it is more of
    > a permission problem.
    > Remember that I when access is denied to one computer I can still
    > access other computers.

    I have seen stranger things when it comes to networking. You may want to do
    a swap of NIC(s) and see if the problem follows. What can it hurt? Straws
    are being grabbed at this point. :)

    I still lean towards the concurrent connection problem, which you may want
    to look into a little more. That's the only thing that makes sense.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 6, 2005
  14. Remmy

    Remmy Guest

    Dont think Mac OSX has this limitation, but I am having this problem
    connecting to shares on Mac as well.

    Remmy, Nov 6, 2005
  15. You should probably mention:
    Firewalls.
    Are you running the PC's as a "domain". If you don't know what that is,
    you're not.
    Is "Simple file sharing" enabled or disabled on any XP computer?
    (Explorer>tools>folder options>view>bottom of the list)
    Enabling multiple identities on XP creates complexities.
    Using group policy on a multiple identity XP PC? OMG!

    Check and see which identity is logged into Windows XP on any given
    machine at reboot. I tempted this road intentionally once, I think this
    will be the road to your fix. It's a disaster in a network.

    I suspect a psycho-schizophrenic XP PC in your network. I backed away
    myself when witnessing the madness involved tempting this fate.

    I fixed an install today, simply by changing identities on just such a
    problem. Both admin level access, only one had the right access to
    install the program. And that was on a no access restriction computer.
    From itself.

    Should you insist on multiple identities on a single computer on a
    shared network, God Rest Your Sanity, particularly should you ever
    attempt to get into the nuts and bolts of it. Microsoft created the
    ultimate split personality w/windows XP. It's just not that good at
    sharing yet.

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER
    (I LIKE my sanity. I'm keeping it! :)

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Nov 8, 2005