    Also, I cannot get into the BIOS. F10 is supposed to work, but it does
    not. Nor does the disk that I downloaded from Compaq's web site. The
    CMOS battery was dead.

    mcp6453, Feb 5, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    colin Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 machine with Windows 98 that has apparently
    > lost its boot sector. It will boot to a Win98 floppy, and I can see the
    > contents of the drive. Remind me of the appropriate procedures for
    > rebuilding the boot sector without having to reinstall Windows. I
    > thought fdisk /fixmbr might work, but now I cannot remember whether that
    > works for Win98. Of course, I have already run Scandisk. Fdisk shows
    > correct partitioning.
    >
    > Also, I cannot get into the BIOS. F10 is supposed to work, but it does
    > not. Nor does the disk that I downloaded from Compaq's web site. The
    > CMOS battery was dead.

    FDISK /MBR & then SYS C: should help.

    colin, Feb 5, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:23:11 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 machine with Windows 98 that has apparently
    >lost its boot sector. It will boot to a Win98 floppy, and I can see the
    >contents of the drive. Remind me of the appropriate procedures for
    >rebuilding the boot sector without having to reinstall Windows. I
    >thought fdisk /fixmbr might work, but now I cannot remember whether that
    >works for Win98. Of course, I have already run Scandisk. Fdisk shows
    >correct partitioning.

    fdisk /mbr

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 5, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Night_Seer Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 machine with Windows 98 that has
    > apparently lost its boot sector. It will boot to a Win98 floppy, and
    > I can see the contents of the drive. Remind me of the appropriate
    > procedures for rebuilding the boot sector without having to reinstall
    > Windows. I thought fdisk /fixmbr might work, but now I cannot
    > remember whether that works for Win98. Of course, I have already run
    > Scandisk. Fdisk shows correct partitioning.
    >
    > Also, I cannot get into the BIOS. F10 is supposed to work, but it does
    > not. Nor does the disk that I downloaded from Compaq's web site. The
    > CMOS battery was dead.

    Are you positive its F10? COuld be delete or one of the other function
    keys. Usually its F1 or F2, and the Compaqs I've worked with were
    always F2...but then again these were ancient.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 5, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    > > I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 machine with Windows 98 that has
    > > apparently lost its boot sector. It will boot to a Win98 floppy, and
    > > I can see the contents of the drive. Remind me of the appropriate
    > > procedures for rebuilding the boot sector without having to reinstall
    > > Windows. I thought fdisk /fixmbr might work, but now I cannot
    > > remember whether that works for Win98. Of course, I have already run
    > > Scandisk. Fdisk shows correct partitioning.
    > >
    > > Also, I cannot get into the BIOS. F10 is supposed to work, but it does
    > > not. Nor does the disk that I downloaded from Compaq's web site. The
    > > CMOS battery was dead.

    > Are you positive its F10? COuld be delete or one of the other function
    > keys. Usually its F1 or F2, and the Compaqs I've worked with were
    > always F2...but then again these were ancient.

    Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You have to
    press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the upper righthand
    corner of the screen.

    Thor, Feb 5, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    > > mcp6453 wrote:
    > > > I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 machine with Windows 98 that has
    > > > apparently lost its boot sector. It will boot to a Win98 floppy, and
    > > > I can see the contents of the drive. Remind me of the appropriate
    > > > procedures for rebuilding the boot sector without having to reinstall
    > > > Windows. I thought fdisk /fixmbr might work, but now I cannot
    > > > remember whether that works for Win98. Of course, I have already run
    > > > Scandisk. Fdisk shows correct partitioning.
    > > >
    > > > Also, I cannot get into the BIOS. F10 is supposed to work, but it does
    > > > not. Nor does the disk that I downloaded from Compaq's web site. The
    > > > CMOS battery was dead.

    > > Are you positive its F10? COuld be delete or one of the other function
    > > keys. Usually its F1 or F2, and the Compaqs I've worked with were
    > > always F2...but then again these were ancient.

    > Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You have to
    > press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the upper righthand
    > corner of the screen.

    It's not on this one. I cannot get into the BIOS.

    I had to reinstall Windows. Now I cannot get Windows to recognize the
    CD.

    mcp6453, Feb 5, 2004
  7. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:49:01 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >> > Are you positive its F10? COuld be delete or one of the other function
    >> > keys. Usually its F1 or F2, and the Compaqs I've worked with were
    >> > always F2...but then again these were ancient.

    >> Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You have to
    >> press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the upper righthand
    >> corner of the screen.

    >It's not on this one. I cannot get into the BIOS.
    >
    >I had to reinstall Windows. Now I cannot get Windows to recognize the
    >CD.

    On the Compaq Deskpro 4000, specifically, it *IS* F10.

    That machine would have a small FAT12 partition containing the
    software used for accessing the BIOS. You call that program with the
    F10 key. If you fdisked and formatted the disk, without knowing what
    you are doing, you have probably hosed this utility partition.

    BB

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com, Feb 5, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com wrote:

    > >It's not on this one. I cannot get into the BIOS.
    > >
    > >I had to reinstall Windows. Now I cannot get Windows to recognize the
    > >CD.

    > On the Compaq Deskpro 4000, specifically, it *IS* F10.
    >
    > That machine would have a small FAT12 partition containing the
    > software used for accessing the BIOS. You call that program with the
    > F10 key. If you fdisked and formatted the disk, without knowing what
    > you are doing, you have probably hosed this utility partition.

    I believe you. However, someone must have repartitioned before me as I
    cannot get F10 to work. If that is the case, what is Plan B?

    mcp6453, Feb 5, 2004
  9. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:48:54 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com wrote:
    >>
    >> >It's not on this one. I cannot get into the BIOS.
    >> >
    >> >I had to reinstall Windows. Now I cannot get Windows to recognize the
    >> >CD.

    >> On the Compaq Deskpro 4000, specifically, it *IS* F10.
    >>
    >> That machine would have a small FAT12 partition containing the
    >> software used for accessing the BIOS. You call that program with the
    >> F10 key. If you fdisked and formatted the disk, without knowing what
    >> you are doing, you have probably hosed this utility partition.

    >I believe you. However, someone must have repartitioned before me as I
    >cannot get F10 to work. If that is the case, what is Plan B?

    That's a pretty old model, but you used to be able to download files
    needed to make a set of special boot floppies from Compaq's website.
    Those floppies are a replacement for what was on that special
    partition. If they no longer have them, maybe try googling "Deskpro
    4000" and see what comes up.

    BB

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com, Feb 5, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You
    > have to press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the
    > upper righthand corner of the screen.

    Yup. I was working with a Deskpro with a P166 in it today, and F10 was the
    key. That booted DOS off a hidden hard drive partition and ran the setup
    program.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 5, 2004
  11. mcp6453

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Thor" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You
    >> have to press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the
    >> upper righthand corner of the screen.

    > Yup. I was working with a Deskpro with a P166 in it today, and F10
    > was the key. That booted DOS off a hidden hard drive partition and
    > ran the setup program.

    Hmm must have spaced out then...I was also referring to a deskpro...oh
    well I was wrong :)

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 5, 2004
  12. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "Thor" <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You
    > > have to press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the
    > > upper righthand corner of the screen.

    > Yup. I was working with a Deskpro with a P166 in it today, and F10 was the
    > key. That booted DOS off a hidden hard drive partition and ran the setup
    > program.

    Yup. It's F10, so long as the hidden partition is on the hard drive,
    which it was not. I was able to install it. Now I have to get Windows to
    recognize the CD-ROM drive. This stinks.

    mcp6453, Feb 5, 2004
  13. mcp6453

    colin Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in message
    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in news::
    > >
    > > > Nearly every Compaq I've worked on, F-10 was the key to press. You
    > > > have to press it when you see the big cursor blink briefly in the
    > > > upper righthand corner of the screen.

    > > Yup. I was working with a Deskpro with a P166 in it today, and F10 was

    the
    > > key. That booted DOS off a hidden hard drive partition and ran the

    setup
    > > program.

    > Yup. It's F10, so long as the hidden partition is on the hard drive,
    > which it was not. I was able to install it. Now I have to get Windows to
    > recognize the CD-ROM drive. This stinks.

    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:3PoP2Fvn4oMJ:www.ctdg.org/form/inter
    n/Compaq_Setup.doc+Compaq+Deskpro+4000+boot+bios&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    COMPAQ 2000 and 4000 setup instructions - SP8126

    WARNING:
    This procedure must be done PRIOR TO any Fdisk and Formating procedures. Use
    AEFDISK /delall to completely clean the hard drive. Then turn off the
    machine and COLD BOOT with the Diagnostic Disk (disk 1 of the SP8126 series)
    in the floppy drive.

    CREATING THE DISKS:

    SP8126 creates 3 disks that are used for both Compaq 2000 and 4000 series to
    create the F10 CMOS/BIOS partition. These disks are created using an already
    up and running computer.

    Create a folder off the C: drive called "Batch". In Batch, create a folder
    called "Compaq". Within Compaq, create a folder called "SP8126". Copy
    SP8126.exe to the C:\Batch\Compaq\SP8126 folder. Execute the copied SP8126
    file to create the F10vp folder which will contain four folders and the
    Makedisk.bat file. Have 3 blank and IBM formated floppy disks ready and
    numbered 1 to 3 or as follows:

    LABELING THE THREE DISKS:

    You may choose to call them
    Diagnostic Boot (this is number 1),
    Compaq 4000/2000 F10 Setup Disk 1 (this is Physically Disk 2),
    Compaq 4000/2000 F10 Setup Disk 2 (this is Physically Disk 3).

    Go to C:\Batch\Compaq\F10VP and double click on the Makedisk.bat file. It
    will walk you thru creating the disks.

    USING THE DISKS:

    COLD BOOT with the Diagnostic Disk (disk 1 of the SP8126 series) in the
    floppy drive.

    When prompted, select to Create a Diagnostic Partition. Procedure is
    somewhat confusing. You will have to change out the disks several times
    during this procedure so please pay attention to the following:

    Physical Disk One is the "boot disk". It is also referred to as the
    Diagnostic disk. When the procedure calls for this disk it will refer to it
    using a NAME rather than a number.

    Physical Disk Two is referred to as Disk 1. Whenever it calls for Disk 1 USE
    THIS DISK.

    Physical Disk Three is referred to as Disk 2.

    This procedure involves a few reboots. When done it will prompt you to
    remove the disk. Be sure and READ all the screens and do the right thing
    during each phase. When you are all done, you will reboot and see an error
    message that there is "No Operating System Present, please insert disk" . .
    .. IGNORE THIS.

    Reboot and when you see a BLINKING BOX in the upper-right corner . . . Press
    the F10 key located on the TOP ROW of the keyboard. This will give you a
    message that there is a problem . . . it will then let you get into the Menu
    where you select COMPUTER SETUP.

    Go thru each item to set the Date, Time, Hard drive and other items
    including setting NUM LOCK to ON and the BOOT ORDER to begin with the "A"
    drive. When done, select File > Save Settings.

    Reboot with a Win95 or Win98 BOOT DISK. Now you can go thru the FDISK and
    FORMAT procedures. During FDISK you will see that an 8 or 24 byte non-Dos /
    unknown partition exists. This is the special Compaq Boot partition you just
    created. Do not mess with this! Simply proceed as normal. Once you have done
    the Fdisk and Format procedures and transferred the system files ( either
    Format c: /s or sys c: procedure) IMMEDIATELY do the following . . .

    BEFORE LOADING WINDOWS 95 B

    PCI BRIDGE Update for Windows 95 osr2 - SP7008

    Use a boot disk that loads the CD-rom so you can access the SP7008 file on
    the Special Compaq CD we have created. Follow the steps below:

    Note: The Boot Disk must contain XCOPY files gotten from C:\Windows\Command
    folder. Copy (do not move) the following three files to your boot disk:
    xcopy.exe - xcopy32.exe - xcopy32.mod

    1. Create a Batch Directory.
    Switch to the C:> prompt (type C: and hit Enter).
    Type MD Batch and hit ENTER.

    2. Insert the Special Compaq CD.

    Type A: and ENTER.
    Type XCOPY D:\Compaq\compaq40\PCIbus\SP7008.exe C:\Batch

    3. This will copy the file to the Batch folder. It is important to do this
    now because after loading Windows 95, the virtual drivers take over and you
    often will not be able to get to the CD drive until you have applied this
    update.

    After loading Windows 95 we will go back to this folder to complete the
    process. Immediately after loading Windows, you will likely encounter a
    problem with reading the CD-ROM. That is one of the things this procedure
    corrects.

    AFTER LOADING WINDOWS 95 B

    IMMEDIATELY DO THE FOLLOWING:

    Go to My Computer > C drive > Batch and execute SP7008.exe
    This will create a folder called 95upg which contains 3 folders and a
    Makedisk.bat file. You do not need to make any disks!

    IN MOST CASES The only files we need are in Disk 1.
    Disk 2 and 3 are Compaq specific. They create logos and diagnostic tools
    that run in the background and use up resources. Not something I care for!
    Unfortunately you may have to install some of these others depending on if
    you end up with an unknown device in Device Manager when we are done loading
    the sound card, NIC card and video.

    Disk 1 is run from the Windows Run command. Go to START > RUN and Browse to
    C:\Batch\95UPG\Disk1\setup.exe

    Click on setup.exe then select OPEN. Next select OK or hit ENTER to execute
    the file.

    During the process, the program will cause you to reboot. When it reboots it
    reloads the PCI bus items and when it asks if you want to reboot, select NO.
    .. .

    Continue and it will find more items to load such as the Primary and
    Secondary IDE controllers. . .

    Click cancel if it finds and tries to install the NIC or Sound card. Wait
    until you reboot to find and install these items. . .

    When it is all done and you boot into Windows. . . That is when you want to
    go to Start > Shutdown > Reboot.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Upon reboot you will need to reload all drivers for your hardware. This is
    when you will load your Audio, Network Card (NIC), and it will often reload
    your Display Adapter (Video).

    As soon as possible, you will want to copy the files from your Win95 or
    Win98 directory of the CDrom to C:\Windows\System\PRECOPY . . . I have also
    seen this placed in a folder called CABS. As a quick and dirty method you
    can copy the WIN95 folder to C:\Windows but you will always need to redirect
    to this folder.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    LS 120 "FLOPPY DRIVE
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Some Compaq's come with a LS120 drive in place of the standard Floppy Drive.
    You will know you have this if you can not remove the floppy with the
    machine turned off. A standard floppy is mechanical. LS120 is electrically
    driven so it will not operate unless it has power.

    There is an update for the LS120 and I have also included the software/
    drivers so it can be used with the special 120 mb disks if the user is
    inclined to spend the money for them.

    The remaining setup procedures are specific to the exact Display Adapter
    (video), Sound Card (audio), NIC Card and Modem you have to install.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Deskpro LS-120 Firmware Upgrade
    Version 2.71 (24 Jul 98)

    Revision History

    English (US) (SP5571.exe - 369.1 KB)

    Creates a bootable diskette that upgrades the firmware for the LS-120 drive
    to version 2.71 in Deskpro 2000, 4000 and 6000 Series.

    You will need a blank floppy. This can not be run from the CD. Run SP5571
    while in windows to create a bootable disk. Insert the disk and COLD BOOT to
    the floppy. Follow instructions provided by program.

    Deskpro 4000 5100, 5120, 5133, 5166, 5166MMX, 5166X, 5200, 5200MMX, 5200X,
    5233MMX, 6180, 6200, 6233MMX, 6233X, 6266MMX, 6300MMX, 6333

    Deskpro 2000 5100, 5120, 5133, 5166, 5166MMX, 5200, 5200MMX, 5233MMX, 6180,
    6200, 6233MMX, 6266MMX, 6300MMX

    LS-120 Software

    After installing the SP5571 update then boot into Windows.
    Make sure there are no other programs running.

    1. Go to START > RUN and browse to the CDrom Drive.

    D:\Compaq40\LS120upd\LS120sw\setup.exe

    2. Click on setup.exe then click on OPEN.

    3. Next click on OK and the program will run.

    The Digital Research LS-120 disks look like floppy's but are built in a more
    heavy duty fashion. They will not work in a normal floppy drive. Imation is
    one of the manufactures and they refer to this as a Super Disk and holds 120
    mb of data (almost 83 times more data than one floppy disk.

    DISPLAY ADAPTER - VIDEO

    This should be the very next thing you load after making adjustments to the
    Display Properties to "Apply the new color settings without restarting."

    In many cases Win95 and Win98 will contain the proper drivers and
    automatically load them. If not, you will need to go to the HP\Compaq site
    and search for them based on the Computer Model Type and Number.

    You may begin at the following: http://www.compaq.com/support/files/

    AUDIO DRIVERS for Compaq Deskpro 4000 - SP5883 and SP4385

    ES1868 and ES1869

    SP5883 is newer file but it did not load all drivers for the sound. Use the
    one in the audiold folder (SP4385). I have already expanded it so you can
    use the CD directly to load the drivers.

    The one I used is:

    E:Compaq40\Audio\audiold

    If you can use the newer version the path is:

    E:Compaq40\Audio\ESS1869\DISK_01
    NIC - NETWORK CARD
    Vene Instructions for NIC on Compaq 4000.

    Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP Controller on Deskpro 4000/6000 Series
    Computers

    Integrated 10 and 10/100 NetFlex-3 Controllers on Deskpro 4000/6000 Series
    Computers

    WIN95 (older version) - SP3576

    Teli (NetFlex) is the one I used. SP3576 creates a folder that contains two
    driver files. One is for older Win95 and other is only for Win95 Osr2 which
    is what we use. Therefore when prompted for the driver use the following
    path . . .

    E:\Compaq40\NIC\Teli\Cpqnet\Osr2

    WINDOWS 98 and/or WIN95B - SP6839

    SP6839 creates a Nflx3 folder that contains the disk1 and a makedisk program
    if you prefer to make a floppy. I have also included drivers for win98 in
    the Teli folder. This may also work with Win95 osr2. It has been expanded
    and is ready to use. Direct to the following when prompted for "other
    locations".

    E:Compaq40\NIC\Teli\w98\NFLX3\DISK1\NDIS4

    PRO100 - SP15591

    If you have a card installed. It may be a Pro100. In this case you use that
    folder. (SP15591.exe creates the folder).

    E:Compaq4000\NIC\pro100

    MODEMS

    This is the last thing you install.
    Procedure differs depending on PCI or ISA modem.

    colin, Feb 5, 2004
  14. mcp6453

    colin Guest

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/263.html

    colin, Feb 5, 2004
  15. On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:45:31 +1100, "colin" <> wrote:

    >mcp6453 <> wrote in message
    >> DeMoN LaG wrote:

    >> > Yup. I was working with a Deskpro with a P166 in it today, and F10 was

    >the
    >> > key. That booted DOS off a hidden hard drive partition and ran the

    >setup
    >> > program.

    >> Yup. It's F10, so long as the hidden partition is on the hard drive,
    >> which it was not. I was able to install it. Now I have to get Windows to
    >> recognize the CD-ROM drive. This stinks.

    >http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:3PoP2Fvn4oMJ:www.ctdg.org/form/inter
    >n/Compaq_Setup.doc+Compaq+Deskpro+4000+boot+bios&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    >
    >COMPAQ 2000 and 4000 setup instructions - SP8126
    >
    >WARNING:
    >This procedure must be done PRIOR TO any Fdisk and Formating procedures. Use
    >AEFDISK /delall to completely clean the hard drive. Then turn off the
    >machine and COLD BOOT with the Diagnostic Disk (disk 1 of the SP8126 series)
    >in the floppy drive.

    I have successfully added the hidden, FAT12 partition and the startup utilities
    to existing partitioned hardrives with operating system, etc, already installed.
    I used Partition Magic to first resize the existing FAT32 partition to 30MB
    less, with the unused space in front of the remaining partition. The size of the
    unused space is not critical, as long as it is bigger than the space needed for
    the utilities.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Feb 5, 2004
  16. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

    > I have successfully added the hidden, FAT12 partition and the startup utilities
    > to existing partitioned hardrives with operating system, etc, already installed.
    > I used Partition Magic to first resize the existing FAT32 partition to 30MB
    > less, with the unused space in front of the remaining partition. The size of the
    > unused space is not critical, as long as it is bigger than the space needed for
    > the utilities.

    All is well. I installed a new hard drive, created the FAT12 magic
    partition, partitioned the balance of the drive as FAT32, formatted, and
    installed Windows 98. Everything works like a charm.

    What a wonky system for Compaq to use. Nasty.

    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

    mcp6453, Feb 6, 2004
  17. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:30:50 -0500, mcp6453 <> wrote:

    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have successfully added the hidden, FAT12 partition and the startup utilities
    >> to existing partitioned hardrives with operating system, etc, already installed.
    >> I used Partition Magic to first resize the existing FAT32 partition to 30MB
    >> less, with the unused space in front of the remaining partition. The size of the
    >> unused space is not critical, as long as it is bigger than the space needed for
    >> the utilities.

    >All is well. I installed a new hard drive, created the FAT12 magic
    >partition, partitioned the balance of the drive as FAT32, formatted, and
    >installed Windows 98. Everything works like a charm.
    >
    >What a wonky system for Compaq to use. Nasty.
    >
    >Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

    Your welcome. That "wonky" system had some valid points to it, but it definitely
    takes some getting used to. It's not really all that nasty once you are familiar
    with it. Just a different way of doing things.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Feb 6, 2004
  18. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    > Your welcome. That "wonky" system had some valid points to it, but it

    definitely
    > takes some getting used to. It's not really all that nasty once you are

    familiar
    > with it. Just a different way of doing things.

    Well aside from making it easier to make changes to the BIOS setup utility
    program without flashing the ROM chip, I never saw the advantages in that
    system. Harddrive goes bad or has some corruption, and now you have no way
    into the BIOS setup, unless you download and create the setup floppies.
    Flashing the BIOS itself would still be just as risky, since that part is
    still on-chip. What advantages did you see in it?

    Thor, Feb 6, 2004
  19. On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:50:22 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> Your welcome. That "wonky" system had some valid points to it, but it

    >definitely
    >> takes some getting used to. It's not really all that nasty once you are

    >familiar
    >> with it. Just a different way of doing things.

    >Well aside from making it easier to make changes to the BIOS setup utility
    >program without flashing the ROM chip, I never saw the advantages in that
    >system. Harddrive goes bad or has some corruption, and now you have no way
    >into the BIOS setup, unless you download and create the setup floppies.
    >Flashing the BIOS itself would still be just as risky, since that part is
    >still on-chip. What advantages did you see in it?

    You just named one advantage yourself.

    BB

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com, Feb 6, 2004
  20. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    <BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:50:22 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> Your welcome. That "wonky" system had some valid points to it, but it

    > >definitely
    > >> takes some getting used to. It's not really all that nasty once you are

    > >familiar
    > >> with it. Just a different way of doing things.

    > >Well aside from making it easier to make changes to the BIOS setup

    utility
    > >program without flashing the ROM chip, I never saw the advantages in that
    > >system. Harddrive goes bad or has some corruption, and now you have no

    way
    > >into the BIOS setup, unless you download and create the setup floppies.
    > >Flashing the BIOS itself would still be just as risky, since that part is
    > >still on-chip. What advantages did you see in it?
    > >

    > You just named one advantage yourself.

    Well, I don't think that one advantage is nearly enough to justify the
    system they use, given the downside of having the setup utility on a far
    more failure-prone device, and the additional effort one must go to in order
    to preserve this arrangement when installing a new drive. I think the cons
    outweigh the pros. What I menat was, what *other* possible advantages do
    you see in that system? Do you think it's better than the conventional way
    of having the setup program on-chip?

    Thor, Feb 6, 2004