    --
    remove both yourteeth to reply
    velc
    velc, Jul 1, 2005

  2. velc

    Plato Guest

    velc wrote:

    > I am trying to upgrade windows for workgroups 3.11 to win95 but the process
    > seems to stall on disc 3 each time.it says it can't read the disc and won't
    > go any farther does this mean the floppy is corrupted or could it be
    > something else.I would be grateful for any ideas

    wow. its been a long time but I do recall a problem with disk3. Which is
    pretty much one of the reasons we always did it using the cd instead of
    floppies. Just ask your local pc dealer you may get a 95 cd for a few
    dollars. I wouln't put in 95 original anyway I'd go with 95B

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 1, 2005

  3. velc

    philo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:47:29 +0100, velc wrote:

    > hi
    > I am trying to upgrade windows for workgroups 3.11 to win95 but the process
    > seems to stall on disc 3 each time.it says it can't read the disc and won't
    > go any farther does this mean the floppy is corrupted or could it be
    > something else.I would be grateful for any ideas
    > TIA
    > velc

    the disk is bad.
    hopefully the machine has a cdrom...as you can get win95 for next to
    nothing on ebay.
    if no cdrom you can make win95 floppies from a cd
    just google for Ron Badour's website.
    philo, Jul 1, 2005
  4. velc

    Top Guest

    "velc" <> wrote in

    > hi
    > I am trying to upgrade windows for workgroups 3.11 to win95 but
    > the process seems to stall on disc 3 each time.it says it can't
    > read the disc and won't go any farther does this mean the floppy
    > is corrupted or could it be something else.I would be grateful for
    > any ideas TIA
    > velc

    This has to be the post of the day (POD)!

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top, Jul 1, 2005
  5. velc

    uh Clem Guest

    With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:47:29 +0100,
    "velc" <> mumbled:

    >hi
    >I am trying to upgrade windows for workgroups 3.11 to win95 but the process
    >seems to stall on disc 3 each time.it says it can't read the disc and won't
    >go any farther does this mean the floppy is corrupted or could it be
    >something else.I would be grateful for any ideas
    >TIA
    >velc

    When I did mine I ended up doing a deltree of windows first. Then
    everything worked swimmingly. It was VERY scary to do that BTW.
    uh Clem, Jul 1, 2005
  6. velc

    clot Guest

    uh Clem wrote:
    > With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:47:29 +0100,
    > "velc" <> mumbled:
    >
    >> hi
    >> I am trying to upgrade windows for workgroups 3.11 to win95 but the
    >> process seems to stall on disc 3 each time.it says it can't read the
    >> disc and won't go any farther does this mean the floppy is corrupted
    >> or could it be something else.I would be grateful for any ideas
    >> TIA
    >> velc

    > When I did mine I ended up doing a deltree of windows first. Then
    > everything worked swimmingly. It was VERY scary to do that BTW.

    I wonder why the OP wants to do this. W3.11 is still the most logically
    laid out doze system.
    I continue to lose where I placed files in both XP and 2000, despite
    having used these predominantly for the last 5 years!

    Still have my trusty W3.11 at hand which does not crash and I can find
    what I need without thinking!
    clot, Jul 2, 2005
  7. velc

    uh Clem Guest

    With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:05:58 GMT,
    "clot" <> mumbled:

    >uh Clem wrote:
    >> With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:47:29 +0100,
    >> "velc" <> mumbled:
    >>
    >>> hi
    >>> I am trying to upgrade windows for workgroups 3.11 to win95 but the
    >>> process seems to stall on disc 3 each time.it says it can't read the
    >>> disc and won't go any farther does this mean the floppy is corrupted
    >>> or could it be something else.I would be grateful for any ideas
    >>> TIA
    >>> velc

    >> When I did mine I ended up doing a deltree of windows first. Then
    >> everything worked swimmingly. It was VERY scary to do that BTW.

    >I wonder why the OP wants to do this. W3.11 is still the most logically
    >laid out doze system.
    >I continue to lose where I placed files in both XP and 2000, despite
    >having used these predominantly for the last 5 years!
    >
    >Still have my trusty W3.11 at hand which does not crash and I can find
    >what I need without thinking!

    I loved 3.11 too. Unforrtunately that program, uh...like Windoze
    Explorer (maybe Explorer?) stopped working. I had to up?grade to
    Winders 95. I really like Xp Pro & will get it soon. Using 98 at the
    moment with a steekin' dialup connection (good co. tho. Truly 57,600
    all the time & like 10 bucks per month. Their helpdesk is very
    laidback & cool and they even know what a control post is, tho they
    won't accept one.) :'-(
    IMHO, 98 & 2000 both suck. Especially 2000
    uh Clem, Jul 2, 2005
  8. velc

    rory smith Guest

    "uh Clem" <_CHEESE_LOG> wrote in message
    > With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:05:58 GMT,
    > "clot" <> mumbled:
    >
    >>uh Clem wrote:
    >>> With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:47:29 +0100,
    >>> "velc" <> mumbled:

    >>> When I did mine I ended up doing a deltree of windows first. Then
    >>> everything worked swimmingly. It was VERY scary to do that BTW.

    >>I wonder why the OP wants to do this. W3.11 is still the most logically
    >>laid out doze system.
    >>I continue to lose where I placed files in both XP and 2000, despite
    >>having used these predominantly for the last 5 years!
    >>
    >>Still have my trusty W3.11 at hand which does not crash and I can find
    >>what I need without thinking!

    > I loved 3.11 too. Unforrtunately that program, uh...like Windoze
    > Explorer (maybe Explorer?) stopped working. I had to up?grade to
    > Winders 95. I really like Xp Pro & will get it soon. Using 98 at the
    > moment with a steekin' dialup connection (good co. tho. Truly 57,600
    > all the time & like 10 bucks per month. Their helpdesk is very
    > laidback & cool and they even know what a control post is, tho they
    > won't accept one.) :'-(
    > IMHO, 98 & 2000 both suck. Especially 2000

    I'm curious as to why anyone would still be using 3.11. The system it is on
    is probly 486 sx or dx 25 with 4mb ram and a 100mb hdd. Can you say
    slooooooooow! Hell, it's just a gui version of dos 6.22. Now tell me you use
    it with stacker!
    rory smith, Jul 2, 2005
  9. velc

    Plato Guest

    rory smith wrote:

    > I'm curious as to why anyone would still be using 3.11. The system it is on

    Because they cant afford a new pc and their win3.x pc still allows their
    kids to type out their homework and print it up for class. I still have
    a half dozen 3.x users that I support and do the service calls for just
    a dinner or BLT.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 2, 2005
  10. velc

    velc Guest

    hi
    thanks for input
    for the curious its just a laptop I bought for a couple of pounds on e-bay
    for my wife to play card games on.I think I will stick with the pre
    installed windows 3.11 and find some games to put on it.
    anyway thanks again
    velc

    velc, Jul 2, 2005
  11. velc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > rory smith wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm curious as to why anyone would still be using 3.11. The system it is
    >> on

    > Because they cant afford a new pc and their win3.x pc still allows their
    > kids to type out their homework and print it up for class. I still have
    > a half dozen 3.x users that I support and do the service calls for just
    > a dinner or BLT.

    Right on! I have one at work still pluggin' away. It's used to run an old,
    poorly written (Borland Pascal) program that won't run on anything newer.
    Something the company had written for them in the mid 1980's...I think it
    has something to do with Borland's software complier creating code that
    interacts directly with hardware ports (to increase speed in the compiled
    program), and W9x and above won't stand for it.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005
  12. velc

    elaich Guest

    "rory smith" <> wrote in news:Acpxe.2907$8f7.1460
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > I'm curious as to why anyone would still be using 3.11.

    Some of us still regularly boot up and use CP/M-80. Different strokes.

    --
    "This space for rent."
    elaich, Jul 2, 2005
  13. velc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "rory smith" <> wrote in news:Acpxe.2907$8f7.1460
    > @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    >> I'm curious as to why anyone would still be using 3.11.

    > Some of us still regularly boot up and use CP/M-80. Different strokes.

    Cool! I still have my Kaypro CP/M disks, but the hardware died years ago :(
    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005
  14. velc

    Top Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "elaich" <> wrote in message
    >> "rory smith" <> wrote in
    >> news:Acpxe.2907$8f7.1460 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >>
    >>> I'm curious as to why anyone would still be using 3.11.

    >> Some of us still regularly boot up and use CP/M-80. Different
    >> strokes.
    >>

    > Cool! I still have my Kaypro CP/M disks, but the hardware died
    > years ago :(

    Was it Kaypro that had a portable that looked like a sewing machine?

    I wish I still had my NEC 8801. 64K Ram and did everything I needed
    then and probably would now.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top, Jul 2, 2005
  15. velc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "elaich" <> wrote in message
    >>> "rory smith" <> wrote in
    >>> news:Acpxe.2907$8f7.1460 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    >>> Some of us still regularly boot up and use CP/M-80. Different
    >>> strokes.
    >>>

    >> Cool! I still have my Kaypro CP/M disks, but the hardware died
    >> years ago :(
    >>

    > Was it Kaypro that had a portable that looked like a sewing machine?
    >
    > I wish I still had my NEC 8801. 64K Ram and did everything I needed
    > then and probably would now.

    I was just thinking about Wordstar the other day. I was able to remove
    columns from text documents. Now, I have to load text documents into Excel,
    creating columns in it manually, delete the columns and save as text. I
    think. I haven't tried it yet <g> (I'm working with a report compiled by an
    AS/400 and need to remove confidential information.)
    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2005
  16. velc

    Top Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "Top" <> wrote in message
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "elaich" <> wrote in message

    >>> Cool! I still have my Kaypro CP/M disks, but the hardware died
    >>> years ago :(
    >>>

    >> Was it Kaypro that had a portable that looked like a sewing
    >> machine?
    >>
    >> I wish I still had my NEC 8801. 64K Ram and did everything I
    >> needed then and probably would now.
    >>

    > I was just thinking about Wordstar the other day. I was able to
    > remove columns from text documents. Now, I have to load text
    > documents into Excel, creating columns in it manually, delete the
    > columns and save as text. I think. I haven't tried it yet <g>
    > (I'm working with a report compiled by an AS/400 and need to
    > remove confidential information.)

    I still Wordstar on 5 1/4" disk and the manuels to go with it. I
    don't miss Lotus though.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top, Jul 3, 2005
  17. velc

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top" <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Top" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >>> Was it Kaypro that had a portable that looked like a sewing
    >>> machine?
    >>>
    >>> I wish I still had my NEC 8801. 64K Ram and did everything I
    >>> needed then and probably would now.
    >>>

    >> I was just thinking about Wordstar the other day. I was able to
    >> remove columns from text documents. Now, I have to load text
    >> documents into Excel, creating columns in it manually, delete the
    >> columns and save as text. I think. I haven't tried it yet <g>
    >> (I'm working with a report compiled by an AS/400 and need to
    >> remove confidential information.)
    >>

    > I still Wordstar on 5 1/4" disk and the manuels to go with it. I
    > don't miss Lotus though.

    That's a fact! I have users at the office still on Lotus 123 v 2.2. I much
    prefered Visicalc or Supercalc. Now I use Excel. Although I never liked
    Word. I use Lotus WordPro instead.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2005
  18. velc

    Fred is back Guest

    Top <> wrote:

    > I still Wordstar on 5 1/4" disk and the manuels to go with it.

    Classic strawman argument.

    > I don't miss Lotus though.

    Someday you will miss lotus though.

    > Ed.

    Classic illogical circular reasoning.
    Fred is back, Jul 3, 2005
  19. velc

    Top Guest

    "Fred is back" <74843278@508478345.892> wrote in

    > Top <> wrote:
    >
    >> I still Wordstar on 5 1/4" disk and the manuels to go with it.

    > Classic strawman argument.
    >
    >> I don't miss Lotus though.

    > Someday you will miss lotus though.
    >
    >> Ed.

    > Classic illogical circular reasoning.

    Classic idiotic ass. My world will be better without you, goodbye.

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top, Jul 3, 2005
  20. velc

    Top Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "Top" <> wrote in message
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "Top" <> wrote in message

    >>> I was just thinking about Wordstar the other day. I was able to
    >>> remove columns from text documents. Now, I have to load text
    >>> documents into Excel, creating columns in it manually, delete
    >>> the columns and save as text. I think. I haven't tried it yet
    >>> <g> (I'm working with a report compiled by an AS/400 and need to
    >>> remove confidential information.)
    >>>

    >> I still Wordstar on 5 1/4" disk and the manuels to go with it. I
    >> don't miss Lotus though.
    >>

    > That's a fact! I have users at the office still on Lotus 123 v
    > 2.2. I much prefered Visicalc or Supercalc. Now I use Excel.
    > Although I never liked Word. I use Lotus WordPro instead.

    I'm with you on Supercalc, I wanted to mention it but couldn't think
    of the name. For the longest time I used a nice little text editor
    named Qedit. Very nifty program, and I still have it on 3 1/2
    somewhere. Matter of fact there it is.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....