Win95 system does not recognize PS2 mouse

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Owlett, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Parents of a friend were given a Win95 system to replace an existing
    Win3.1 set up.

    It appears to function properly except for not not
    "recognizing"/"responding to" a PS2 style Logitech 3-button mouse.

    The mouse appears to be completely functional on the Win 3.1 system.

    The Win95 asserts that no mouse is connected.
    Using keyboard equivalents I can bring up Control Panel and chose
    Mouse. That brings up a Logitech specific initialization routine. But
    to no apparent effect.

    As the mouse is active when attached to another system, can I safely
    assume the mouse is not the problem?

    It had already been suggested that they obtain a "serial mouse".
    I've not used Win95 for some time.
    Will it automatically recognize a serial mouse?
    Does it have all require routines ( eg equiv of mouse.com )?

    Thank you.

    Richard Owlett, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Richard Owlett

    Billh Guest

    I was thinking the same thing get a serial mouse or a ps2 > serial adaptor
    for the mouse you have. The adaptor may or may not work as the mouse has to
    be made to work with one. Anyway Win95 should be able to see the serial
    mouse.

    Billh, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Richard Owlett

    Ray Guest

    Win 95 should see the serial mouse without doing anything further. You
    might want to try and see if you can reinstall the mouse driver. It has
    been a long time since I've dealt with win95 so I might be a little off.
    Make sure you have the win95 CD on hand just in case. Delete the mouse
    driver in the device manager. Reboot the machine and see if it will auto
    detect it.

    Ray, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Ray wrote:

    > Win 95 should see the serial mouse without doing anything further. You
    > might want to try and see if you can reinstall the mouse driver. It has
    > been a long time since I've dealt with win95 so I might be a little off.
    > Make sure you have the win95 CD on hand just in case. Delete the mouse
    > driver in the device manager. Reboot the machine and see if it will auto
    > detect it.

    Not sure if Win95 CD is available -- it's a "hand-me-down" system.

    Are you saying that I should go into Control Panel and disable *ALL*
    mouse functions.

    On the next reboot Win95 would activate (poor word choice) generic
    driver(s).

    If I got mouse pointer and left-button they would be happy.

    Richard Owlett, Aug 24, 2004