Win7 X64 - Ability of apps to overright files

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ian Haynes, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. Ian Haynes

    Ian Haynes Guest

    Posting here because I can't find a specific Win 7 list.

    I have used Robotask for several years to automatically transfer files
    between websites. It has a built-in FTP client which I can script to make
    these transfers. I have it download the files to a local copy of the main
    site, and then upload the files to a different site. On Win 7 X64 it isn't
    being allowed to overwrite the original files and saves them as myfile(1),
    myfile(2) etc, rather than overwrite the original 'myfile'.

    I've checked permissions etc and all appears OK. The local files aren't
    'read-only' and Robotask is allowed through the Windows Firewall.

    Can anyone point me to what is preventing the original files from being over
    written?

    Ian Haynes
    MVP Expression

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4613 (20091116) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Ian Haynes, Nov 17, 2009

  2. Re: Win7 X64 - Ability of apps to overwrite files

    It must be a glitch in your program. I download files all the time with
    Win 7 x64 and I am asked if I want to replace/overwrite the existing
    file when one exists.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Ian Haynes

    Carlos Guest

    Ian,
    Have you tried running Robotask as Administrator?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 17, 2009
  4. Ian Haynes

    Ian Haynes Guest

    Yes I do run it as an administrator. On that subject I really want to have
    it as a startup program and whereas Vista would give you an alert for
    startup programs that need to be run as administrator via a dialog box in
    the notification area, Win7 doesn't do this and I have to start it manually.

    It worked fine on Vista an overwrote the files as expected but not in Win7.

    Ian

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4622 (20091119) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Ian Haynes, Nov 19, 2009