Win7 x Topmost applications (Z-order)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by TMA, Jul 29, 2009.

  1. TMA

    TMA Guest

    Does anyone here happens to use TV-Tunner card from Encore?

    Their website points to several client applications/drivers, one for each
    windows version. After trying several ones, I found out the one that works
    with Win7 x64, but the GUI application has a problem setting itself as a
    "topmost" application.

    Here's the thing ... the application has this option "topmost". If it's set,
    it will launch in the foreground, but if I switch to any other window, it
    won't keep topmost, even the desktop gadgets will cover it. To fix this, I
    have to unset topmost and set it back. After resetting, it will work
    properly.

    I don't think it's a bug in the application because I use this card for
    years and I don't remember having this issue before. Also, the GUI seems to
    be untouched for years.

    I noticed the gadgets are coming foreground every once in a while when some
    new windows are launched. Is there a way to keep the gadgets always in the
    background behind all the other windows?
    TMA, Jul 29, 2009

  2. TMA

    Carlos Guest

    TMA,
    You might want to try running the application as Administrator.
    That could make the "topmost" setting sticky instead of volatile.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 29, 2009

  3. TMA

    TMA Guest

    > TMA,
    > You might want to try running the application as Administrator.
    > That could make the "topmost" setting sticky instead of volatile.
    > :)
    > Carlos

    Well, this apparently solves the problem for a while, but as soon as I
    launch it again it won't be topmost anymore.

    In fact, this ENLTV app is a little tricky because it comes with a tray icon
    to wait for remote control signals. Sometimes the application is launched
    directly through the start menu shortcut, sometimes I can just double click
    the tray icon, and some other times it's launched by the remote control.

    If I use the start menu, no problem, I can set it to run as admin, but how
    can I set the tray icon to automatically start up with windows as admin?

    How about the desktop gadgets? Aren't they supposed to be always in the
    background of any other window? How come it comes up front at times?
    TMA, Jul 30, 2009
  4. TMA

    Carlos Guest

    TMA,
    The ENLTV tray icon is associated with TVTray.exe (32-bit).
    How about setting TVTray.exe properties to let it run as administrator also?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 30, 2009
  5. TMA

    TMA Guest

    Tried that, don't work.
    I actualy set all the exe programs in that folder to run as admin, but still
    no good.
    It's funny because this application that's supposed to launch up front, goes
    right to the back instead. If I don’t have any other windows being displayed
    it will go even behind the desktop gadgets (????) .... well, which is kind
    of cool to watch TV with all my nice weather gadgets and the transparent
    taskbar at the bottom. But I'd really like to learn how to control that.

    TMA, Jul 31, 2009