    have, is it safe to disable this feature to find out if it is the cause for
    my Wireless Adapter (USB) randomly dropping out?

    Thanks

    Mark H, Jun 29, 2009

  2. Mark H

    Pavel A. Guest

    Mark H wrote:
    > Seems Win 7 has installed a "Virtual WiFi adapter" via WiFi Miniport
    > Driver.
    > Since this functionality is not supported by any network adapter drivers
    > I have, is it safe to disable this feature to find out if it is the
    > cause for my Wireless Adapter (USB) randomly dropping out?

    Does your adapter work in Vista SP2?

    --pa

    Pavel A., Jun 30, 2009

  3. Mark H

    Mark H Guest

    My Linksys Dual-band Wireless USB adapter works fine in Vista, SP1, SP2, XP,
    but crashes the OS when Win 7 attempts to reset it after it randomly drops
    out. The errors typically point to inability to recover from sleep mode (but
    the computer wasn't asleep.)

    The PCI card (Wireless-N, nearly same model) works fine.

    When I dual NIC'd the computer using both the PCI and USB devices
    simultaneously, this Virtual Miniport Driver showed up in Device Manager.
    The USB device continues to fail, so I removed it, but the Virtual Miniport
    is still present. There are also several other "Hidden" Miniport drivers
    that apparently don't really do anything other than confuse me as to what
    may be momentarily running to kill the USB device.

    So, I wanted to remove the virtual networking aspects to see if they were
    part of the problem with the USB device.

    Mark H, Jun 30, 2009
  4. Mark H

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    If you look at the Device Manger under Network Adaptors and pull down "View/
    Show Hidden Devices" you would see many such entries.
    Those are Entries in the Registry and they should Not effect functional
    Wireless working.
    Contact Linksys' support and ask them if they are aware of incompatibility
    with Win7.
    Every time a new OS is on the horizon some vendors prepare themselves ahead,
    others procrastinate past the last moment.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Jun 30, 2009
  5. Mark H

    Mark H Guest

    Checking Win 7 forums and Linksys, this is not a problem limited to Linksys,
    but affects various wireless adapters. Wired adapters seem immune.

    Mark H, Jun 30, 2009
  6. Mark H

    Pavel A. Guest

    Have you tried to bridge the USB and PCI cards?
    Then the "Virtual Miniport" could be the bridge driver.

    --pa

    Pavel A., Jul 1, 2009
  7. Mark H

    Mark H Guest