    window start on the sound menu. There is windows logon which I tried and it
    only works after I log off and back on. I want to play my wav. file when
    Win7 boots. Can it be done?

    Daves Spam, Dec 22, 2009

  2. Daves Spam

    Carlos Guest

    Daves,
    Not very straightforward:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/22429-how-change-windows-7-startup-sound.html
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 23, 2009

  3. Daves Spam

    Tom Guest

    "Daves Spam" <> wrote in message
    > On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav. file
    > play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but can't find the
    > window start on the sound menu. There is windows logon which I tried and
    > it only works after I log off and back on. I want to play my wav. file
    > when Win7 boots. Can it be done?

    I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can use
    anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in the Control
    panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the "Windows Logon" sound
    (there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but this is the same thing now) .
    After selecting that, click the "Browse" button, and go to the directory of
    the sound you want to use, select it, check the box "Play Windows Startup
    sound" and apply and you're good to go. You can test it while you're there
    as well.

    If you need to make the file, there are free programs that will convert
    MP3s, etc into WAV files for use. One thing that is kind of a bummer is
    that Windows 7 no longer has the Sound recorder that can save sounds as wav
    file, it only does recording now. I've tried copying the previous version of
    sound recorder from XP-Pro or my old Win98/ME disc, and they won't take.

    Tom, Dec 24, 2009
  4. Tom wrote:

    > "Daves Spam" <> wrote in message
    >> On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav.
    >> file play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but
    >> can't find the window start on the sound menu. There is windows
    >> logon which I tried and it only works after I log off and back on.
    >> I want to play my wav. file when Win7 boots. Can it be done?

    > I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can
    > use anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in
    > the Control panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the
    > "Windows Logon" sound (there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but
    > this is the same thing now) . After selecting that, click the
    > "Browse" button, and go to the directory of the sound you want to
    > use, select it, check the box "Play Windows Startup sound" and apply
    > and you're good to go. You can test it while you're there as well.

    Wrong. The "logon" sound and the "startup" sound are not the same thing.
    The startup sound is hardwired into the imageres.dll file and can only
    be changed by editing that file, as per the instructions posted by Carlos.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/22429-how-change-windows-7-startup-sound.html

    --
    Crash

    Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 24, 2009
  5. Daves Spam

    Tom Guest

    "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    > Tom wrote:
    >>

    >> "Daves Spam" <> wrote in message
    >>> On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav.
    >>> file play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but
    >>> can't find the window start on the sound menu. There is windows
    >>> logon which I tried and it only works after I log off and back on.
    >>> I want to play my wav. file when Win7 boots. Can it be done?

    >> I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can
    >> use anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in
    >> the Control panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the
    >> "Windows Logon" sound (there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but
    >> this is the same thing now) . After selecting that, click the
    >> "Browse" button, and go to the directory of the sound you want to
    >> use, select it, check the box "Play Windows Startup sound" and apply
    >> and you're good to go. You can test it while you're there as well.

    > Wrong. The "logon" sound and the "startup" sound are not the same thing.
    > The startup sound is hardwired into the imageres.dll file and can only
    > be changed by editing that file, as per the instructions posted by Carlos.
    > http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/22429-how-change-windows-7-startup-sound.html
    >
    > --
    > Crash
    >
    > Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

    Do you mean the sound (like a little beep) one hears when it gets to the
    logon screen, before actually getting into Windows? If so, then I am
    completely wrong. I do know that there was a startup sound in previous
    versions of Windows (unsure of Vista).

    Tom, Dec 24, 2009
  6. Daves Spam

    Daves Spam Guest

    The windows logon is for when you log back into Windows not when FIRST
    starting Windows as I already tried that.

    Daves Spam, Dec 24, 2009
  7. Daves Spam

    Daves Spam Guest

    As far as I can remember all versions of Windows back to Win95 had a startup
    sound that could be simply changed on the same screen as any other sound
    including Vista. Only reason I can think for changing this is to speed up
    point my Win 7 loads slower than my Vista did that I replaced and my Win 7
    with all the same stuff loaded as my Vista Ult. 64 had it was possible to
    load Vista in less then 1 min. 30 sec. compared to now of just over 2 min.
    and my backup of Win 7 is 75 gigs compared to last backup of Vista at 167
    gigs.

    Daves Spam, Dec 24, 2009
  8. Daves Spam

    Tom Guest

    Forgive me if I seem daft to your words. When you turn on your PC and you
    get to the Windows splash screen, right before you would click on your logon
    name, you would hear a Windows sound. Is that the sound you mean?

    Tom, Dec 24, 2009
  9. Daves Spam

    Tom Guest

    I don't think that simply changing the sound would speed up things. Since
    you have Windows 7 installed, you may have other items starting up that you
    may have had disabled, or not start up when you used Vista.. On my previous
    PC, which had 2gig memory, a P4 32.gig CPU with Vista, I would boot up in
    less than 30 seconds, but I had that system tweaked with virtually nothing
    to get to Windows up. What are your system specs?

    I just finished building my current PC a few weeks ago, and it boots up in
    about 15 seconds, here's what I have:

    Windows 7 64bit
    CPU: i7 950
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Memory: 12gb G-Skill DDR3 1333mhz
    Graphics Cards: Sapphire Radeon 5870 x 2
    PSU: Silverstone T1000 1000w
    Hard Drives: Intel X25-M 160Gb Solid State Drive & WD Black 1TB HDD

    Tom, Dec 24, 2009
  10. Daves Spam

    Daves Spam Guest

    I don't have a logon so mine goes right into windows with the little windows
    chime that comes standard. There is a place in the sound settings for
    windows logon which is where after already being in windows you log off and
    log back in you can have it play your wav file at that point. I have been
    doing some goggling and in Win7 you have to do a bunch of major/miner work
    to hack the system to change the windows MAIN start wav file. At this point
    I think I will wait it out as somewhere along the line either Microsoft will
    fix it or someone will write a program to make it easier to fix ourselves.

    Daves Spam, Dec 25, 2009
  11. Daves Spam wrote:
    > I don't have a logon so mine goes right into windows with the little
    > windows chime that comes standard. There is a place in the sound
    > settings for windows logon which is where after already being in
    > windows you log off and log back in you can have it play your wav
    > file at that point. I have been doing some goggling and in Win7 you
    > have to do a bunch of major/miner work to hack the system to change
    > the windows MAIN start wav file. At this point I think I will wait
    > it out as somewhere along the line either Microsoft will fix it or
    > someone will write a program to make it easier to fix ourselves.

    I doubt that Microsoft is going to "fix" it, since it isn't broken. For
    reasons known only to the marketing department, they do not want
    customers personalizing Windows 7. :-(

    --
    Crash

    Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is refusing treatment.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Dec 25, 2009