    of and I think I know BIOS's pretty well. Anyhow, there is nothing of the
    sort in mine - any hint at what I should look for?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2009

  2. Tony Sperling

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > There is one message about the 'Away Mode' of my machine being set to 64bit
    > and it needs to be reset in the BIOS - this is one item I have never heard
    > of and I think I know BIOS's pretty well. Anyhow, there is nothing of the
    > sort in mine - any hint at what I should look for?
    >

    > Tony. . .

    Tony:
    "http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/Nvidia~Away~Mode~System.html"
    may be what you need. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 x64.

    Dennis Pack, Jun 27, 2009

  3. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    I have that setting in the "Advanced BIOS features menu".
    This is what the mobo manual says:
    "Away Mode
    Enables or disables Away Mode in Windows XP Media Center operating system.
    Away Mode
    allows the system to silently perform unattended tasks while in a low-power
    mode that appears off
    (Default: Disabled)"

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 27, 2009
  4. Well, new one on me.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2009
  5. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    If you are in the mood for expanding your knowledge, Away Mode happens to
    MSFT stuff.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/awaymode.mspx
    "Abstract
    Away Mode is a Windows Vistaâ„¢ feature that is designed for media PC
    scenarios. Away Mode enables the Windows Vista PC to appear off to the user,
    when the system is actually operational and processing background media tasks
    such as recording television content or streaming media to other devices.
    This paper documents the operation of Away Mode, configuration of power
    policies, and best practices for OEMs deploying systems with Away Mode
    functionality and ISVs developing media software for Away Mode."
    There is even a downloadable doc for Tony to study this weekend:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/AwayMode.docx

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 27, 2009
  6. Interesting. Thanks, Carlos.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 27, 2009
  7. "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Charlie,
    > If you are in the mood for expanding your knowledge, Away Mode happens to
    > MSFT stuff.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/powermgmt/awaymode.mspx
    > "Abstract
    > Away Mode is a Windows VistaT feature that is designed for media PC
    > scenarios. Away Mode enables the Windows Vista PC to appear off to the
    > user,
    > when the system is actually operational and processing background media
    > tasks
    > such as recording television content or streaming media to other devices.
    > This paper documents the operation of Away Mode, configuration of power
    > policies, and best practices for OEMs deploying systems with Away Mode
    > functionality and ISVs developing media software for Away Mode."
    > There is even a downloadable doc for Tony to study this weekend:
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/AwayMode.docx

    Yes, this is great stuff for info - thanks, Carlos. But it is also a bit
    curious since nVidia has a 64bit driver to support it - and obviously 64bit
    Win7 isn't supporting the 64bit driver code that supports it (sic!) quite
    yet, so I am asked to disable the feature. Since I cannot find the feature
    in my BIOS I am about to believe that it is a warning message that was
    pasted into the pre release for chipsets that would have the support IF the
    BIOS interface was also there. So I will be satisfied to ignore it while
    looking for a way to disable the message. It will sort itself out in
    following editions, I assume, and during the while it does no harm.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2009
  8. I'm in for damnation if I can find out how to access NG's in Windows Live
    Mail. I am extremely ponderous over the Index Score of a whopping 2.9 for my
    three disk RAID0 - it has an avarage through-put of around 112.8 MB/s.
    Thoughts are welcome!

    Oh - and I assume the latest Java as well as Google Earth will be safe to
    install too?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 28, 2009
  9. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    NG issue:
    In the meantime you can still use the web access, as I do, from any of these
    two pages:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...r=US&mid=5f344e51-29bb-42eb-8f38-ddbccc664f44

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...ab3-3a83-4eed-b28a-229160b0040c&lang=en&cr=us

    Java:
    Install both x86 and x64 Java (for both IE's) from here:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    If you are confused by the many options just click the download button to
    the right of "JRE 6 Update 14"

    Google Earth:
    Using the freeware 5.0 version with no issues.

    Disk speed:
    I have read reports that the disk rating is rather buggy though I can't
    confirm it.
    I have a WD 750GB with 32MB cache and I'm getting 5.9.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 28, 2009
  10. Tony Sperling

    Bill Patten Guest

    I recently installed Windows Live Mail, and it sucked all the data out
    of my windows mail including the news groups, so it can be done.

    It's on the left side menu at the very bottom and says NewsGroups. It
    may be there because it copied it from my Windows Mail but it is there.
    On my tools menu there is a manage news group menu as well.

    Also on my tools - accounts menu if I click add I have the option of
    mail, News group or Contacts directory.

    HTH

    Bill

    Bill Patten, Jun 28, 2009
  11. Sounds promising, Bill - I can verify there is no mention of anything on any
    of the pages to lead you to any sort of NNTP and I even typed:

    microsoft public newsgroups

    in it's own searchbox and it had nothing to say, except to check my typing.
    I tried adding a 'Group' and I think I tried adding a 'Contact', also with
    no apparent result but your idea of adding an 'Account' could be a good
    idea. I shall try that also.

    Windows Mail? Is that the part that you have to separately download? Perhaps
    that is the proverbial stumbling block?

    Anyway, thanks for the input. And thanks to Carlos for those web-links -
    they will do fine for the moment since this is a dual-boot and this problem
    is seing much too frequent duality!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 28, 2009
  12. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/microsoft-newsgroup-setup-instructions-for-windows-mail/
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessing_newsgrousp_with-windows_mail.htm
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/newsgroups-and-windows-7

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 28, 2009
  13. Tony Sperling

    tsperling Guest

    Thank you, Carlos!

    Those links made me realize what I already suspected - that I needed to
    download something. This wasn't immediately clear as I had an 'Live Mail'
    account that I was able to access via the messenger box that comes up by
    default.

    So, all is up and running and typing this from the Win7 native Newsreader -
    AND with a slightly changed username that should reveal where I am. Perhaps
    not such a good idea?

    And I am listening to my favorite Radio (Java & Flash) - and having Google
    Earth available - so, all honky-dory here now!!!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jun 28, 2009
  14. Tony Sperling

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    Add these newsgroups to what Carlos listed:

    Click on any or all of those links to start your default newsreader and read
    a few messages.

    Brief summary:
    *.internet.mail is for users of any mail program.
    *.windows,live.mail.desktop is for Windows Live Mail (WLM, or WLMail when
    needed to distinguish it from WLMsgr). (The word "desktop" was dropped from
    the name of the program over 2 years ago, but Usenet rules make it hard to
    change the name of a newsgroup - just make sure you ask about WLM and not
    WLMD!)
    *.vista.mail is for users of Windows Mail (WM), the application built into
    Vista.
    *.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress is for Outlook Express (OE), the
    application built into WinXP and earlier.

    Note that both WM and OE are dead to any future development, as Microsoft
    announced more than 2 years ago. Neither can be downloaded and added to an
    existing OS; OE won't run in Vista; WM won't run in anything else. WLM is
    not included in any OS, but will run on any current Windows version.

    Win7 has NO email or newsreader client at all. You are free to (read
    "must") download and install the applications of your choice.

    You probably knew all or most of this, but others reading along might not.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 28, 2009
  15. Tony Sperling

    tsperling Guest

    I knew something was amiss when everybody was talking about stuff that I
    should clearly be seeing, but didn't. Now I do know yes, but it was
    certainly confusing to have your WLM mailbox in front of you and then be
    required to download WLM!!!

    That really looks like a 'dirty' trick - but I'm quite happy now:0)

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jun 28, 2009