Win7 Pro x64 dies with BSOD on my toshiba laptop (Win7 Retail/RTM)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Warren Postma, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. I bought Win7 Pro at my local computer store today, and installed it on my
    Toshiba Satellite L300D laptop, with 3gb ram, and it did the same thing to
    me that the RC iso did when I installed it. Installed fine, and after one or
    two reboots, and Windows Updates installs, the thing crashed
    (BlueScreenOfDeath and instant reboot) and then entered Startup Repair ran
    for about 20 minutes, then reboot, crashes again, and then runs StartRepair
    again.

    What's unusual about my install is that the hard drive (300gb I think) has a
    200gb Vista partion and 100gb Win7 partition, and is currently bootable to
    either Vista or Win7 (using the usual Windows vista/win7 style boot menu)

    The crash is a stop 0x0000021a. If I have to reinstall I'm going to try the
    32 bit Vista because I suspect it's a PieceOfCrap 64bit device driver
    for my hardware. It ran Vista x64 just FINE for a year before this, so I'm
    wondering what's up.

    I can't even get booted up toa desktop to review the content of the
    crash-dump report. This is pretty messed up, when a brand new OS install
    dies this horribly on me. And whatever it is, that is causing this, was
    broken in the beta versions, and is still broken in the RTM version.

    Sigh. Can anyone suggest anything I can try to diagnose this issue?

    Warren Postma, Oct 22, 2009

  2. If you do a Google for 0x0000021a you will get lots of links. Perhaps
    you might browse the suggested links for some ideas about your problem.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 22, 2009

  3. Sadly it appears that 0x0000021 issues discussed on places indexed by Google
    are overwhelminingly full of Windows XP information
    and this information is not helpful for Win7. It is after all, LAUNCH DAY.
    :)

    There aren't even Win7 groups here on the Microsoft 'communities' newsgroups
    server yet.

    Warren Postma, Oct 22, 2009
  4. Warren Postma

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Warren:
    One thing that can be easily overlooked since the laptop works
    normally with the Vista x64 partition is the ram. If the laptop has 2 or 3
    sticks of ram remove one stick of ram at a time if the system boots there is
    a bad sector on the removed stick of ram. Every operating system addresses
    ram and sectors differently, which is the explanation that I was given when
    I had the same problem when going from XP 32-bit to XP x64 during beta
    testing. Replacing the defective stick of ram cured the problem. I'm not
    sure if Memtest86 or Memtest86+ works with Win-7. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4534 (20091022) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Dennis Pack, Oct 22, 2009
  5. However, I have found that even though they reference XP, or whatever
    Windows OS, the reason for the error is usually the same in NT, 2000,
    XP, Vista, and Win 7.

    So, reading through the links can, and will, provide some insight as to
    what might be causing your problem!

    LAUNCH DAY has no affect on what cause a particular problem.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 22, 2009
  6. Warren Postma

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried reading your crash dump from your Vista partition? Also, one
    of the first things you should do after installing your system is to set it
    so it will not automatically restart. You will then usually have a
    description to go along with your crash code. It should be in your crash
    dump so look from Vista.

    John Barnes, Oct 23, 2009
  7. Warren Postma

    FlopShot Guest

    I believe there are some BIOS updates on Toshiba support site dealing with
    Win7. I was looking for a BIOS update for my L305D-S5892 as I am also
    getting random BSOD using Win7 64-bit, didn't find one for my particular
    model but noticed several others.

    FlopShot, Nov 20, 2009