Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphics card

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Quaoar, Jan 5, 2010.

  1. Quaoar

    Quaoar Guest

    Subject line says it all. General graphics performance index = 3.9.
    Gaming performance index = 5.9.

    This is an HP dv1400 notebook with 1GB VRAM nVidia card.

    Frankly, the video performance beats the socks off my other computers on
    Win7 and Vista.

    I'm simply confused with the ratings differences when Win7 should be
    using the nVidia card rather than the Intel graphics for any video and
    graphics applications.

    TIA

    Quaoar, Jan 5, 2010

  2. Quaoar

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Is the onboard graphics disabled in BIOS setup?
    How many graphic cards do you see in Device Manager?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 5, 2010

  3. Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphicscard

    The specs for the DV1400
    http://www.reviewtime.co.uk/productview-769.html say it has Intel GMA900
    graphics.

    The latest drivers for that are at
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...=Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
    There is not even a Vista driver for it.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 5, 2010
  4. Quaoar

    Quaoar Guest

    On 1/4/2010 6:49 PM, Carlos wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Is the onboard graphics disabled in BIOS setup?
    > How many graphic cards do you see in Device Manager?
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Quaoar" wrote:
    >
    >> Subject line says it all. General graphics performance index = 3.9.
    >> Gaming performance index = 5.9.
    >>
    >> This is an HP dv1400 notebook with 1GB VRAM nVidia card.
    >>
    >> Frankly, the video performance beats the socks off my other computers on
    >> Win7 and Vista.
    >>
    >> I'm simply confused with the ratings differences when Win7 should be
    >> using the nVidia card rather than the Intel graphics for any video and
    >> graphics applications.
    >>
    >> TIA

    >> .

    Sorry, some misinformation in my OP: this is an HP Dv4t-1400 (first
    error). The BIOS setup is, unfortunately, lacking information and
    control. There is only the NVIDIA GeForce G 105M with 512MB VRAM
    (second error) listed in Device Manager.

    Thanks for your response!

    Quaoar, Jan 7, 2010
  5. Quaoar

    Quaoar Guest

    On 1/5/2010 1:33 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > The specs for the DV1400
    > http://www.reviewtime.co.uk/productview-769.html say it has Intel GMA900
    > graphics.
    >
    > The latest drivers for that are at
    > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...=Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
    > There is not even a Vista driver for it.
    >

    > On 05/01/2010 00:53, Quaoar wrote:
    >> Subject line says it all. General graphics performance index = 3.9.
    >> Gaming performance index = 5.9.
    >>
    >> This is an HP dv1400 notebook with 1GB VRAM nVidia card.
    >>
    >> Frankly, the video performance beats the socks off my other computers on
    >> Win7 and Vista.
    >>
    >> I'm simply confused with the ratings differences when Win7 should be
    >> using the nVidia card rather than the Intel graphics for any video and
    >> graphics applications.
    >>
    >> TIA

    See my previous post: this is a DV4T-1400 (my first error) with an Name
    NVIDIA GeForce G 105M with ==>512MB VRAM. Note that the BIOS setup has
    not options for much of anything.

    Now, see my previous question.

    Thanks for your interest.

    Quaoar, Jan 7, 2010
  6. Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphicscard

    Have you installed the drivers from
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=sg&lang=en&product=3945147
    ?

    Dominic Payer, Jan 7, 2010
  7. Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphicscard

    You would really need to compare your rating with others having the same
    or very similar notebooks. A single rating doesn't tell you anything
    good or bad.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 7, 2010
  8. Quaoar

    Carlos Guest

    Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphics c

    Hi,
    Gaming graphics score (5.9) is Ok.
    Desktop graphics score (3.9) is rather low, should be closer to 5.
    It would be worth while trying Dominic's suggestion about the newest driver.
    That might improve the lower score.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 7, 2010
  9. Quaoar

    Tom Guest

    Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphics c

    My average is 7.4, I get a 7.8 on graphics. Of course I have a powerhouse
    gaming rig too ;-). I wonder if those scores are as meaningful as the
    numbers try to dictate.

    Tom, Jan 7, 2010
  10. Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphicsc

    The Desktop Graphics score is primarily the graphics capability to deal
    Aero.

    As I stated previously a single report of a score does not mean
    anything. It needs to be compare to other systems with the same
    graphics to determine if it's abnormal.

    My wife's system has an Asus Radeon HD 4350 card with a score of only
    3.8, but this is in the normal range for this card.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 7, 2010
  11. Quaoar

    Carlos Guest

    Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphics c

    Tom,
    My post was not clear enough, after reading it again.
    The scores I mentioned were the target ones for his configuration, with his
    graphic card.
    So, 5.9 was Ok for the 3D part but 3.9 was rather low for the Desktop part.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 8, 2010
  12. Quaoar

    Tom Guest

    Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphics c

    I have a Radeon 5870x2 setup.

    Tom, Jan 8, 2010
  13. Quaoar

    Quaoar Guest

    On 1/7/2010 1:23 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    > Have you installed the drivers from
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=sg&lang=en&product=3945147
    > ?
    >

    > On 07/01/2010 03:01, Quaoar wrote:
    >> On 1/5/2010 1:33 AM, Dominic Payer wrote:
    >>> The specs for the DV1400
    >>> http://www.reviewtime.co.uk/productview-769.html say it has Intel GMA900
    >>> graphics.
    >>>
    >>> The latest drivers for that are at
    >>> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...=Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
    >>>

    >>> There is not even a Vista driver for it.

    >> See my previous post: this is a DV4T-1400 (my first error) with an Name
    >> NVIDIA GeForce G 105M with ==>512MB VRAM. Note that the BIOS setup has
    >> not options for much of anything.
    >>
    >> Now, see my previous question.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your interest.

    Yes, installed driver that came with the Win7 HP Update, same as
    indicated in your link. Note that this oddity was apparent in the Vista
    performance indices also.

    Thanks.

    Quaoar, Jan 8, 2010
  14. Re: Win7 performance index, does not acknowledge nVidia graphicscard

    If this oddity was apparent in Vista, then why would you expect it to be
    any different in Win 7?

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 8, 2010