Win7 and Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mark H, Jun 19, 2009.

  1. Mark H

    Mark H Guest

    In an earlier post under the same title, I commented that with a plug-in
    (USB) network adapter my internet connection was dropping out while using
    Win 7 RC x64. (I have performed an upgrade install. Have not gone to the
    clean install, yet.) Thought I had isolated the problem to not enough power
    being supplied through the port and got an internal network card. While the
    problem is not as frequent as before, Win7 still drops the internet wireless
    connection by eventually disabling the network card. Win7 initially blames
    the default gateway as not being available and attempts a reset which is
    sometime successful. Other times, when it attempts to reset the adapter,
    Win7 gets "stuck" and a reboot, sometimes power switch, is required to
    recover as Win7 starts using 80% of the quad-core and may no longer
    shutdown.

    "The network" is just fine as my other computers (Vista) continue to
    maintain their link with both the router and modem to the internet.
    Driver is from the manufacturer and the most recent.

    I have started noticing a few more reports of this behavior on the Win 7
    forums, but no fixes.

    ___
    Win7 RC Ultimate x64
    Phenom II 940 (3.6GHz)
    M4N78 Pro, 8GB
    9800GTX+
    LinkSys WMP300N

    Mark H, Jun 19, 2009

  2. Mark H

    Carlos Guest

    Mark,
    Just a hunch but I see that you are running your Phenom II with 20% overclock.
    Could you run it at 3.0 GHz (nominal) and see if the problem persists?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 19, 2009

  3. Mark H

    Mark H Guest

    Yeh, I wondered if that might be part of the issue also. That's why I was
    listing the speed (to see if anyone else noticed that might also be having
    this issue.)
    But, the clock speed is the same as it was being run while on Vista without
    problem. I think Win7 is making better use of the quad-core than Vista, so
    the speed may be inflicting my pain.

    Mark H, Jun 19, 2009
  4. Mark H

    Carlos Guest

    Win 7 really uses the hardware in a different way.
    I had an issue (sudden restart) that only showed up in Win 7 but not in Vista.
    Motherboard was faulty but only Win 7 would bring the problem up to the
    surface.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 19, 2009
  5. Mark H

    Mark H Guest

    I have now turned off a feature in the Device Manager for this device called
    "Minimum Power Consumption." It may be drawing too little to maintain
    itself. This seems to be a problem with LinkSys devices identified on
    somewhat random configurations in the LinkSysbyCisco forums. Amazingly, this
    has been a problem for a couple of years with no clear solution, but is
    definitely independent of clock speed, or OS (even though it did not start
    until I moved to Win7.) This may be nothing more than loading the current
    drivers, but there are no x64 drivers downloadable from LinkSys before the
    current one.

    Mark H, Jun 19, 2009