    with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able to
    dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.

    Thanks

    Jerry, Nov 11, 2009

  2. Jerry

    Drew Guest

    As far as everything I have read you cannot upgrade from any version of xp
    to win 7.. It must be a clean install!... unless of course you want to
    purchase vista and upgrade to that and then turn right around and purchase
    windows 7 and then upgrade to that. just my 3 cents but wish you luck!

    Drew, Nov 11, 2009

  3. To clarify,

    1. Yes, you will be able to "Upgrade" Win XP x64 in the sense that you will
    be able to run the Win 7 x64 Upgrade DVD from within the XP, and it will go
    to that partition itself.
    2. No, you will NOT be able to "Upgrade" in the sense that your applications
    and settings will get carried over to the new OS automatically.

    Read full details in winsupersite.com.

    Rajesh Shenoy, Nov 12, 2009
  4. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    OK - let me clarify.

    First, I know you can't really 'upgrade' from XP, any version, to Win7.

    But, I also know you can 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 if XP is installed
    already. The Win7 install routine will verify the legitimacy if the XP
    installation and will then proceed to remove it and install itself in that
    location.

    Knowing what I said is supposed to be true then I would expect to install
    Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit would verify XP Pro x64 as valid, remove it,
    install itself in its place and, therfore, I would have XP Pro 32-bit and
    Win7 64-bit in a dual-bott configuration.

    Jerry, Nov 12, 2009
  5. Jerry

    andy Guest

    During Windows 7 setup, you can easily format the Windows XP x64
    partition before installing Windows 7 in that partition.

    andy, Nov 12, 2009
  6. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    The statement below is in no way an answer to my question.

    Jerry, Nov 13, 2009
  7. Jerry

    John Barnes Guest

    The Win7 installation does not automatically install to any particular
    partition. You have to know which partition you want to select when it asks
    you where you want to install. Make sure the descriptions of your
    partitions are such that you can make a proper selection and do not
    accidentally overwrite your XP installation.

    John Barnes, Nov 15, 2009