    particular database has over a million files, so moving it takes all
    day even on a fast PC.

    , Aug 30, 2005

  2. NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Reading the email that microsquish sent me, it sounds like they want
    > you to load the OS from windows itself, i.e. the CDROM is not bootable.
    > Can I load this from one partition (in this case winXP pro) to another
    > partition that I will make for win64? Or do I have to "upgrade" my
    > winXP pro to win64.
    >
    > FWIW, I'm moving all my data to yet another partition in the event
    > things really get out of hand. Dumb question #2, and probably too late
    > at this point, but is there a faster way to move file from one
    > partition to another other than using the windows explorer. This
    > particular database has over a million files, so moving it takes all
    > day even on a fast PC.

    You cannot install it from within windows.

    You can only install it by booting from the CD.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Well, here is what microsquish emails:
    ---------
    To install the trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Trial Software Kit:

    1. Download the ISO image file from the URL in the Getting Started
    section below and save the file to your hard disk.

    2. Using a CD-RW drive and software, burn the ISO image of Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition to a blank CD. Most CD burning software will
    recognize an ISO file. If your software does not recognize this format,
    you can burn it as a raw data file.

    3. Insert the CD you burned into the CD-ROM drive of the computer on
    which you want to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

    4. The Setup file on the CD should open automatically. If it does not,
    in Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD to begin installation
    and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.

    If the download prematurely terminates or the size of the downloaded
    ISO file is not between 550 and 600 MB, you will need to restart the
    download process.
    ----------------------------
    It sure sounds like you do the install from within windows.

    , Aug 30, 2005
  4. NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Okay, just try and follow the instructions and see what happens....

    I have no idea who "microsquish" is.

    If you insert the CD that you make from the .iso, and let it run, it will
    pop up a windows that will read as follows:

    This version of Windows must be installed by booting off the CD.

    Please reboot your computer with the CD in the drive.

    When you reboot, it will offer to install to the location of your choice.

    You *CANNOT* install it from within windows.

    If you can't even get that far, why are you trying to install it?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    I'm trying to find out the problems before I install the software.

    Note the microsquish instructions did not indicate the CD should be
    made bootable.

    , Aug 30, 2005
  6. NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to find out the problems before I install the software.
    >
    > Note the microsquish instructions did not indicate the CD should be
    > made bootable.

    If you follow the instructions, burning an image form an .iso file makes the
    disk bootable.

    Perhaps you are placing too much in the instructions provided.

    1. Download the .iso.

    2. Burn a CD from disk image using the .iso you downloaded.

    3. Make sure your BIOS is set up to boot from CD first.

    4. Place the new made CD in the drive, and reboot.

    5. Prompt will appear "To boot from CD press any key"

    6. Press any key, and follow the prompts.

    7. Have any 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers you need to access your hard
    disks...you will have to
    install them when prompted during the installation process.

    8. Windows will reboot..just let it reboot and ignore any prompts (the
    first time).

    9. If you are dual booting, your boot screen will now have a screen which
    will allow you to
    choose which OS you want to boot into.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    Is win XP like NT, i.e. you can select the boot, or do I need to set up
    Partition Magic's boot program?

    , Aug 30, 2005
  8. NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Is win XP like NT, i.e. you can select the boot, or do I need to set up
    > Partition Magic's boot program?

    As long as you install to a separate partition or a separate HDD, then your
    boot.ini will be modified to give you a choice at start up.

    I currently boot with 4 different Oases on this computer (each on it's own
    HDD):

    1. Windows XP Professional
    2. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    3. Solaris 10
    4. Windows XP Professional (bare boot for testing purposes).

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Guest

    FWIW, loading the CD while running XP does tell you to use the CD as a
    boot disk. Makes you wonder why MS sent such a cryptic message in their
    email.

    , Aug 30, 2005
  10. No, you are not suppose to extract the ISO, here are the instructions on how
    to burn an ISO:

    you have to burn it CD, not copy it, do not extract the ISO, thats the bad
    way
    to do it. You need boot off the Windows XP Professional x64 CD-ROM to do the
    installation, can't run setup from within 32 bit Windows.

    Instructions for burning ISO using either Nero or Easy CD Creator:
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 30, 2005
  11. Guest

    Thanks. I'll give that a try. The only hickup might be making the
    partition bootable under raid. I'm still moving that database around.
    Grr......

    , Aug 30, 2005