WIN2k3 R2 SP2 - DNS

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Khaled Mohd., Nov 26, 2007.

  1. Khaled Mohd.

    Khaled Mohd. Guest

    Two servers acting as domain controllers as well as integrated DNS,

    the OS installed on both of them is Windows server 2003 R2 SP2

    on DC1:

    preffered dns: DC1 IP

    alternate dns: DC2 IP

    on DC2:

    preffered dns: DC2 IP

    alternate dns: DC1 IP

    if I stop the dns service on DC1, the resolution stop on DC1,

    I mean, if i try nslookup I get no reponse, so it is not using the alternate
    DNS (DC2)

    Vise vera if I want to do so from DC2

    If I try to do nslookup from another server (Win2k3 R2 SP2) (client) it will
    not resolve (if the preffered dns is stopped),

    but if I do nslookup from XP SP2 machine it will resolve (it is using the
    alternate)

    Why win2k3 R2 Sp2 is not using the alternate DNS when the preffered DNS failed
    Khaled Mohd., Nov 26, 2007

  2. This behaviour is "normal" for Windows Server. I agree, it's not correct. I
    don't know of a way to change it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64