WIN2K3 Enterprise Cluster & FireWire ??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by w2k3e_install, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
    shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

    w2k3e_install, Dec 17, 2007

  2. w2k3e_install

    Theo Guest

    As far as I know you cannot have a single drive attached to
    two different computers at the same time. You may want to
    consider Network Attached Storage (NAS) for your situation.

    Theo, Dec 17, 2007

  3. How much may be the cost of implementing with NAS? Can you please refer any
    paper/document on this?
    My system isn't a production system. I am doing this for my personal
    experience & pleasure. This FireWire technology worked fine with Linux/Oracle
    RAC and thought might work with WIN2K3 EE also. Does anybody know a cheapest
    way to implement WIN2K3 Cluster technology?
    Thanks.

    w2k3e_install, Dec 17, 2007
  4. The easiest way to implement clustering on a Server 2k3 system for testing
    purposes (non-production) is to use Virtual Server and create your VMs with
    SCSI drives. There's a useful whitepaper on the subject here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/virtualserver/deploy/cvs2005.mspx

    Windows will not support using firewire for this.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007
  5. Thanks for the tips but my plan is to use both the PCs. So, I want to avoid
    VMWare. How about a Cheap NAS & WIN2K3 Majority Node Set (that will eliminate
    Shared Disk for the Qurum disk)? Anybody has done it?
    Thanks.

    w2k3e_install, Dec 17, 2007
  6. w2k3e_install

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:53:06 -0800, w2k3e_install
    <> wrote:

    >Can I use a IEEE 1394 FireWire drive (attached to both the machines) as
    >shared drive? How can I trick this as a SCSI device? Thanks.

    You can connect it to one computer, and share it via Ethernet ;-)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 18, 2007
  7. Can you please tell how, specifically how this IDE device may be considered
    as SCSI or iSCSI to WIN2K3?
    Thanks.

    w2k3e_install, Dec 18, 2007
  8. w2k3e_install

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:40:00 -0800, w2k3e_install
    <> wrote:

    >Can you please tell how, specifically how this IDE device may be considered
    >as SCSI or iSCSI to WIN2K3?

    I leave the answer to that one, to one of the more qualified technical
    wizzards around here :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 18, 2007