win2k support being dropped

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Ok as we all know Microsoft is dropping support for this OS

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5746046.html?tag=nl.e589

    as this page shows there is _still_ a large installed base of win 2k
    (at least in the states where this survey was most likely to have been
    done)

    Windows XP use surged to 38 percent by the first quarter of this year, up
    from 6.6 percent in the third quarter of 2003. However, the popularity of
    Windows 2000 has remained high, with the venerable operating system still
    in use in 48 percent of business PCs during the first quarter of 2005,
    down just four percentage points from the third quarter of 2003.

    is this a mess building?
    or will sysadmins (and companys) go and buy some freshly minted XP
    licenses knowing they wont be supported in 2 - 3 yrs time

    Shane, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Shane

    Matty F Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Ok as we all know Microsoft is dropping support for this OS
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5746046.html?tag=nl.e589
    >
    > as this page shows there is _still_ a large installed base of win 2k
    > (at least in the states where this survey was most likely to have been
    > done)

    And following that link:
    "80 percent of the companies it surveyed had at least one PC running
    Windows 95 or 98. Of those companies that did have one of the older
    operating systems, Windows 95 and 98 made up nearly 40 percent of all
    systems."
    "Better to have people stay on Windows 98 than to start investigating
    things like Linux," said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst at Jupiter Research.
    When those users contemplate chucking Win 98, they could well take a
    look at Linux. Except that Linux discussion groups appear to be full of
    rude teenage geeks who have no interest in helping anybody.
    Linux advocates should shift those people elsewhere.
    Matty F, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Shane

    thing Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Ok as we all know Microsoft is dropping support for this OS
    >> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5746046.html?tag=nl.e589

    I would have though it would have been a good idea for MS to keep
    support until 1 or 2 years after Longhorn is out myself. At that stage
    phase out XP and win2k together, thus "letting" ppl all move to Longhorn
    together.....

    >> as this page shows there is _still_ a large installed base of win 2k
    >> (at least in the states where this survey was most likely to have been
    >> done)

    The cost of moving to a new OS version is not cheap and MS is trying to
    accelerate that rate of change to keep its revenue going....

    > And following that link:
    > "80 percent of the companies it surveyed had at least one PC running
    > Windows 95 or 98. Of those companies that did have one of the older
    > operating systems, Windows 95 and 98 made up nearly 40 percent of all
    > systems."
    > "Better to have people stay on Windows 98 than to start investigating
    > things like Linux," said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst at Jupiter
    > Research.

    Well his reports are going to be un-baised aren't they.......not.........

    > When those users contemplate chucking Win 98, they could well take a
    > look at Linux. Except that Linux discussion groups appear to be full of
    > rude teenage geeks who have no interest in helping anybody.

    I'm surprised any business contemplating switching to Linux would go to
    such as group(s) for info. More likely to be analysts, consultants or
    other IT/business pros, I cant see a CEO sifting around in
    #linux-or-bust myself.

    > Linux advocates should shift those people elsewhere.

    Or better yet create something businesses can use, oh wait we have Red
    Hat, and RHCEs and.....etc.....etc....

    Gigabit NICS are now common, within a year predominant, hello high speed
    linux thin clients...hugely cheaper.........

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Shane

    Matty F Guest

    thing wrote:

    > Matty F wrote:

    >> When those users contemplate chucking Win 98, they could well take a
    >> look at Linux. Except that Linux discussion groups appear to be full
    >> of rude teenage geeks who have no interest in helping anybody.

    > I'm surprised any business contemplating switching to Linux would go to
    > such as group(s) for info. More likely to be analysts, consultants or
    > other IT/business pros, I cant see a CEO sifting around in
    > #linux-or-bust myself.

    How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    Linux and would like to learn.
    #linux channels should be reserved for helping them.
    Otherwise Bill Gates has won, and the huge monopoly carries on, doing
    whatever it wants, and raising prices when there is no alternative.
    Matty F, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Shane

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:29:27 +1200, Matty F <> wrote:

    >thing wrote:
    >
    >> Matty F wrote:

    >>> When those users contemplate chucking Win 98, they could well take a
    >>> look at Linux. Except that Linux discussion groups appear to be full
    >>> of rude teenage geeks who have no interest in helping anybody.

    >> I'm surprised any business contemplating switching to Linux would go to
    >> such as group(s) for info. More likely to be analysts, consultants or
    >> other IT/business pros, I cant see a CEO sifting around in
    >> #linux-or-bust myself.

    >How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    >Linux and would like to learn.
    >#linux channels should be reserved for helping them.
    >Otherwise Bill Gates has won, and the huge monopoly carries on, doing
    >whatever it wants, and raising prices when there is no alternative.

    Lunix, you need to be a computer nerd to use it and its mostly command
    line..

    Most APP's have to be complied to run on your system..

    My Boss who writes his own programs gave it up totally..

    So stay sane and stick with well supported software..
    Tony, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:29:27 +1200, Matty F <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>thing wrote:

    >>> I'm surprised any business contemplating switching to Linux would go
    >>> to such as group(s) for info. More likely to be analysts,
    >>> consultants or other IT/business pros, I cant see a CEO sifting
    >>> around in
    >>> #linux-or-bust myself.

    >>How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    >>Linux and would like to learn.
    >>#linux channels should be reserved for helping them.
    >>Otherwise Bill Gates has won, and the huge monopoly carries on, doing
    >>whatever it wants, and raising prices when there is no alternative.

    > Lunix, you need to be a computer nerd to use it and its mostly
    > command line..

    Absolute rubbish. A normal user would never need to use a command line
    on a desktop Linux system.

    > Most APP's have to be complied to run on your system..

    Absolute rubbish. And anyway, how would you know Roger? Have you ever
    even used a Linux system?

    > My Boss who writes his own programs gave it up totally..
    >
    > So stay sane and stick with well supported software..

    Why do you believe that software for Linux is any more or less well
    supported than software for other platforms?

    Chris Hope, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Shane

    Harry Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    > is this a mess building?
    > or will sysadmins (and companys) go and buy some freshly minted XP
    > licenses knowing they wont be supported in 2 - 3 yrs time

    MS is overly greedy.
    All MS can add to Windows are mainly cosmetic changes.
    There is virtually no real difference between Win98 and WinXP.
    Harry, Jun 15, 2005
  8. In article <-a-geek.net>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >is this a mess building?

    I think it's just simple economics. The people who insist on running
    such old systems are simply not spending any money on new hardware or
    software. This means there's no revenue to be had from continuing to
    cater to their needs. As far as the PC market is concerned, they might
    as well not exist.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 15, 2005
  9. In article <JoQre.7605$>,
    Matty F <> wrote:

    >"Better to have people stay on Windows 98 than to start investigating
    >things like Linux," said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst at Jupiter Research.

    I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 15, 2005
  10. Shane

    Peter Guest

    thing wrote:
    > I would have though it would have been a good idea for MS to keep
    > support until 1 or 2 years after Longhorn is out myself. At that stage
    > phase out XP and win2k together, thus "letting" ppl all move to Longhorn
    > together.....

    no no no - you'll never get to be a successful billionaire software tycoon
    with ideas like that. You see, it is better to get customers to pay to
    move to XP, and then pay again to move to Longhorn. More revenue for MS.

    It doesn't matter that millions of users are happy with the functionality of
    Win2k. Having them stay just there doesn't generate any revenue for MS.
    MS needs a way to force them to buy more software.

    An even better scheme would be for the users to keep paying $$$ every year,
    without MS going to the bother of having to develop any new OS.

    Peter
    Peter, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Shane

    Peter Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    > Linux and would like to learn.

    It can be done. I'm an ordinary home user, no training or experience in IT
    and I'm no programmer.
    Linux is very different, and takes some learning. But people don't realise
    how much learning they have put into Windows over the decade or more that
    they have been using it.

    You could start off with Knoppix. This runs off the CD, so it doesn't
    affect your hard drive at all. Just boot off the CD. It's an easy way to
    give it a spin.
    Or try dual boot. Many Linux distros come with good installers. Check out
    your local LUG if you are in one of the major cities.

    Download Linux yourself,( www.debian.co.nz/downloads.php ) or get copies of
    Knoppix or a distro off a friend if you know someone who has Linux, or buy
    it from www.copyleft.co.nz or www.xsolutions.co.nz or similar. Or check
    out magazines, LinuxFormat has a new distro on the cover DVD each month.

    I'd recommend Mandriva (aka Mandrake) as the distro to start with, but I've
    heard people who are very happy with Xandros, Ubuntu and Debian.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jun 15, 2005
  12. Shane

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:51:39 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:29:27 +1200, Matty F <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    >>>Linux and would like to learn.
    >>>#linux channels should be reserved for helping them.
    >>>Otherwise Bill Gates has won, and the huge monopoly carries on, doing
    >>>whatever it wants, and raising prices when there is no alternative.

    >> Lunix, you need to be a computer nerd to use it and its mostly
    >> command line..

    >Absolute rubbish. A normal user would never need to use a command line
    >on a desktop Linux system.
    >
    >> Most APP's have to be complied to run on your system..

    >Absolute rubbish. And anyway, how would you know Roger? Have you ever
    >even used a Linux system?

    I do not need to but I did play around with a Unix system some years ago, but
    you do not need to eat it to find out if its bad, gee its even Green all
    over.

    >> My Boss who writes his own programs gave it up totally..
    >>
    >> So stay sane and stick with well supported software..

    >Why do you believe that software for Linux is any more or less well
    >supported than software for other platforms?

    Just go to any Computer shop and look, its so obvious..

    Plus the lack of a decent range of software..
    Tony, Jun 15, 2005
  13. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Tony wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> Lunix, you need to be a computer nerd to use it and its mostly
    >>> command line..

    >>Absolute rubbish. A normal user would never need to use a command line
    >>on a desktop Linux system.
    >>
    >>> Most APP's have to be complied to run on your system..

    >>Absolute rubbish. And anyway, how would you know Roger? Have you ever
    >>even used a Linux system?

    > I do not need to but I did play around with a Unix system some years
    > ago, but

    Some years ago? That gives you no grounds to comment on the usability of
    a modern GUI desktop Linux system today.

    > you do not need to eat it to find out if its bad, gee its even

    Wow, you sound just like Bling-Bling but from the other side of the
    fence.

    >>> My Boss who writes his own programs gave it up totally..
    >>>
    >>> So stay sane and stick with well supported software..

    >>Why do you believe that software for Linux is any more or less well
    >>supported than software for other platforms?

    > Just go to any Computer shop and look, its so obvious..

    Why would I need to go into a computer shop to get the software I need
    when I can get what I need for free from the Internet? Or on the CDs
    that I used to install Linux?

    > Plus the lack of a decent range of software..

    There are certainly some software packages that there are no decent
    equivilents for on Linux (Photoshop being one of them) but there is a
    sh*tload of software available.

    Chris Hope, Jun 15, 2005
  14. Shane

    Matty F Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    >>How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    >>Linux and would like to learn.

    > It can be done. I'm an ordinary home user, no training or experience in IT
    > and I'm no programmer.
    > Linux is very different, and takes some learning. But people don't realise
    > how much learning they have put into Windows over the decade or more that
    > they have been using it.

    I am quite happy to learn Linux. But I want to put it on a different
    machine than this one that uses Win 98. I have several other machines
    that should be OK when I have time to set them up.

    > You could start off with Knoppix. This runs off the CD, so it doesn't
    > affect your hard drive at all. Just boot off the CD. It's an easy way to
    > give it a spin.
    > Or try dual boot. Many Linux distros come with good installers. Check out
    > your local LUG if you are in one of the major cities.
    >
    > Download Linux yourself,( www.debian.co.nz/downloads.php ) or get copies of
    > Knoppix or a distro off a friend if you know someone who has Linux, or buy
    > it from www.copyleft.co.nz or www.xsolutions.co.nz or similar. Or check
    > out magazines, LinuxFormat has a new distro on the cover DVD each month.
    >
    > I'd recommend Mandriva (aka Mandrake) as the distro to start with, but I've
    > heard people who are very happy with Xandros, Ubuntu and Debian.

    I'm happy to buy a Linux disk. I see that Dick Smith have several
    varieties of Linux for about $10 each.
    If I get Linux working as I want, I shall spend the next few years
    installing it on many Win98 machines.
    Matty F, Jun 15, 2005
  15. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>
    >>>How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing
    >>>about Linux and would like to learn.

    >> It can be done. I'm an ordinary home user, no training or experience
    >> in IT and I'm no programmer.
    >> Linux is very different, and takes some learning. But people don't
    >> realise how much learning they have put into Windows over the decade
    >> or more that they have been using it.

    > I am quite happy to learn Linux. But I want to put it on a different
    > machine than this one that uses Win 98. I have several other machines
    > that should be OK when I have time to set them up.
    >
    >> You could start off with Knoppix. This runs off the CD, so it
    >> doesn't
    >> affect your hard drive at all. Just boot off the CD. It's an easy
    >> way to give it a spin.
    >> Or try dual boot. Many Linux distros come with good installers.
    >> Check out your local LUG if you are in one of the major cities.
    >>
    >> Download Linux yourself,( www.debian.co.nz/downloads.php ) or get
    >> copies of Knoppix or a distro off a friend if you know someone who
    >> has Linux, or buy
    >> it from www.copyleft.co.nz or www.xsolutions.co.nz or similar. Or
    >> check out magazines, LinuxFormat has a new distro on the cover DVD
    >> each month.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend Mandriva (aka Mandrake) as the distro to start with,
    >> but I've heard people who are very happy with Xandros, Ubuntu and
    >> Debian.

    > I'm happy to buy a Linux disk. I see that Dick Smith have several
    > varieties of Linux for about $10 each.
    > If I get Linux working as I want, I shall spend the next few years
    > installing it on many Win98 machines.

    The DSE ones are often a release behind. That's the problem with
    pressing loads of disks instead of burning to order as you go. It does
    make them cheaper though...

    Chris Hope, Jun 15, 2005
  16. Shane

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:34:06 +1200, Matty F <>
    wrote:

    >Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>
    >>>How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    >>>Linux and would like to learn.

    >> It can be done. I'm an ordinary home user, no training or experience in IT
    >> and I'm no programmer.
    >> Linux is very different, and takes some learning. But people don't realise
    >> how much learning they have put into Windows over the decade or more that
    >> they have been using it.

    >I am quite happy to learn Linux. But I want to put it on a different
    >machine than this one that uses Win 98. I have several other machines
    >that should be OK when I have time to set them up.
    >
    >> You could start off with Knoppix. This runs off the CD, so it doesn't
    >> affect your hard drive at all. Just boot off the CD. It's an easy way to
    >> give it a spin.
    >> Or try dual boot. Many Linux distros come with good installers. Check out
    >> your local LUG if you are in one of the major cities.
    >>
    >> Download Linux yourself,( www.debian.co.nz/downloads.php ) or get copies of
    >> Knoppix or a distro off a friend if you know someone who has Linux, or buy
    >> it from www.copyleft.co.nz or www.xsolutions.co.nz or similar. Or check
    >> out magazines, LinuxFormat has a new distro on the cover DVD each month.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend Mandriva (aka Mandrake) as the distro to start with, but I've
    >> heard people who are very happy with Xandros, Ubuntu and Debian.

    >I'm happy to buy a Linux disk. I see that Dick Smith have several
    >varieties of Linux for about $10 each.
    >If I get Linux working as I want, I shall spend the next few years
    >installing it on many Win98 machines.

    As a Win98SE user I found Xandros 2 easier to get to grips with than
    XP. Xandros 3 is on this month's APC mag DVD-ROM.
    GraB, Jun 15, 2005
  17. Shane

    Bok Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > All MS can add to Windows are mainly cosmetic changes.
    > There is virtually no real difference between Win98 and WinXP.

    If by your definition there is virtually no real difference between you
    and Bill Gates, then you might be right about Win98 versus WinXP.
    Bok, Jun 15, 2005
  18. FreedomChooser, Jun 15, 2005
  19. On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:04:00 +1200, Matty F <>
    wrote:

    >Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Ok as we all know Microsoft is dropping support for this OS
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5746046.html?tag=nl.e589
    >>
    >> as this page shows there is _still_ a large installed base of win 2k
    >> (at least in the states where this survey was most likely to have been
    >> done)

    >And following that link:
    >"80 percent of the companies it surveyed had at least one PC running
    >Windows 95 or 98. Of those companies that did have one of the older
    >operating systems, Windows 95 and 98 made up nearly 40 percent of all
    >systems."
    >"Better to have people stay on Windows 98 than to start investigating
    >things like Linux," said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst at Jupiter Research.

    What cra[p
    FreedomChooser, Jun 15, 2005
  20. On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:34:06 +1200, Matty F <>
    wrote:

    >Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>
    >>>How about ordinary home computer users like me, who know nothing about
    >>>Linux and would like to learn.

    >> It can be done. I'm an ordinary home user, no training or experience in IT
    >> and I'm no programmer.
    >> Linux is very different, and takes some learning. But people don't realise
    >> how much learning they have put into Windows over the decade or more that
    >> they have been using it.

    >I am quite happy to learn Linux. But I want to put it on a different
    >machine than this one that uses Win 98. I have several other machines
    >that should be OK when I have time to set them up.
    >
    >> You could start off with Knoppix. This runs off the CD, so it doesn't
    >> affect your hard drive at all. Just boot off the CD. It's an easy way to
    >> give it a spin.
    >> Or try dual boot. Many Linux distros come with good installers. Check out
    >> your local LUG if you are in one of the major cities.
    >>
    >> Download Linux yourself,( www.debian.co.nz/downloads.php ) or get copies of
    >> Knoppix or a distro off a friend if you know someone who has Linux, or buy
    >> it from www.copyleft.co.nz or www.xsolutions.co.nz or similar. Or check
    >> out magazines, LinuxFormat has a new distro on the cover DVD each month.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend Mandriva (aka Mandrake) as the distro to start with, but I've
    >> heard people who are very happy with Xandros, Ubuntu and Debian.

    >I'm happy to buy a Linux disk. I see that Dick Smith have several
    >varieties of Linux for about $10 each.
    >If I get Linux working as I want, I shall spend the next few years
    >installing it on many Win98 machines.

    So your quite happy to waste time installing on old slow hardware
    LOL
    FreedomChooser, Jun 15, 2005