    She has 192 MB of RAM in her system and (estimated) 1 GB free on her hard
    drive. Anyone have any ideas about this?

    thanks in advance
    SGT Robo, Jul 27, 2004

  2. SGT Robo

    Tech Guest

    SGT Robo wrote:

    > My Mom has an eMachines 633 with Win2k SP4 on it. Just recently, as it
    > has been running tolerably well, both IE and windows explorer will jump to
    > 95%
    > CPU utilization or greater when you try to open either of them. Neither
    > actually opens, they just suck up all the CPU power and nothing happens.
    >
    > She has 192 MB of RAM in her system and (estimated) 1 GB free on her hard
    > drive. Anyone have any ideas about this?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    Dump IE. Download either Netscape, Mozilla, or Opera.

    IE is a resource hog and a huge security hazard.

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 27, 2004

  3. SGT Robo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "SGT Robo" <> wrote in

    > My Mom has an eMachines 633 with Win2k SP4 on it. Just recently, as
    > it has been running tolerably well, both IE and windows explorer will
    > jump to 95% CPU utilization or greater when you try to open either of
    > them. Neither actually opens, they just suck up all the CPU power and
    > nothing happens.
    >
    > She has 192 MB of RAM in her system and (estimated) 1 GB free on her
    > hard drive. Anyone have any ideas about this?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    Ram is cheap you should add more ram. The more ram is on the machine the
    more room the O/S has to breath and operate.

    I think something may be on the machine possibly that is sucking up the
    machine's resources.

    You can take a look with the tools in the link like Active Ports and
    Process Explorer. Process Explorer can look inside running processes to
    see what's using a process.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    If the machine is not being used on a LAN, then shutdown unneeded
    services and ports and secure the O/S.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    I myself have never had any security problems with IE and all it takes is
    a little common sense with not having happy fingers that click on unknown
    things. In addition, IE does have some security settings that can be
    implemented as well that are out there on Google. However, one should
    look into other browsers if need be.

    I like to use the HOST, which for me is to stop the browser from being
    redirected to dubious sites while one views a Web page. The Host is not a
    stop all ends all solution but it helps in the protection.

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Duane Arnold, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
    wrote:

    > "SGT Robo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My Mom has an eMachines 633 with Win2k SP4 on it. Just recently, as
    >> it has been running tolerably well, both IE and windows explorer will
    >> jump to 95% CPU utilization or greater when you try to open either of
    >> them. Neither actually opens, they just suck up all the CPU power and
    >> nothing happens.
    >>
    >> She has 192 MB of RAM in her system and (estimated) 1 GB free on her
    >> hard drive. Anyone have any ideas about this?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance
    >>

    > Ram is cheap you should add more ram. The more ram is on the machine the
    > more room the O/S has to breath and operate.

    The grinning idiot breaks out the most abused and worthless 'solution' known
    to M$'ers! LMAO! What a fucking idiot.

    > I think something may be on the machine possibly that is sucking up the
    > machine's resources.

    Duuhhh! Ya think? PMSL! You fucking village idiot.
    Himalayan sushie, Jul 28, 2004