    concern. can anybody make some suggestions/recommend what to
    consider/look at. its a p4 2000 w/512memory win2k sp4, no spyware or
    viruses are resident. TIA for your suggestions
    dakine, Aug 26, 2004

  2. dakine

    EM Handler Guest

    get help here
    EM Handler, Aug 26, 2004

  3. dakine

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Dakine - You might want to check and see if you've installed Hotfix
    Q329170. If so, and unless you're sure you need it, it apparently causes
    major slowdowns on shutdown and should be removed. See here to decide about
    whether you need this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329170.
    There was a lot of discussion about this in microsoft.public.win2000.general
    nws gp at one point. If you decide to remove it, go to your Control
    Panel|Add/Remove Programs and see if Q329170 is listed as installed and, if
    so, remove it.

    This "hotfix" is also installed as part of SP4, and thus can't be removed
    separately if you've installed that.

    If you decide that you do need to keep it, or you have SP4 installed, an
    alternative that's been proposed that will allow you to be able to exit
    normally even with the hotfix is to run "net stop spooler" (without the
    quotes) from a cmd window before shutdown. You might want to consider
    adding that to a logout script that stops the spooler at shutdown, and kept
    the hotfix in that case. (I've verified that this works, BTW.)

    MS has a fix available if you phone them. See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814770

    (This has also supposedly been fixed in one of the later rollup hotfixes.)

    plus (Courtesy of Steve Parry)

    start > run > gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration> Administrative Template
    System > Logon > Maximum retries to unload and update user profile ... set
    enabled and to say 5 ... default if not configured is 60!!

    and then (added by me) set waittokillservicetimeout at

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

    to 5000 ms instead of the default 20000.

    (I can verify that these last two make a HUGH difference in shutdown times.)

    Then, courtesy of Torgeir Bakken, MVP, you might want to try this:

    User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
    A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

    Two last areas to check. Unless you actually use them, it has been reported
    that unchecking Enable Offline Files in Folder Options|Offline Files tab
    substantially decreases the shutdown time (presumtively by eliminating the
    "Synchronize all offline files" step). And check and be sure that you don't
    unintentionally have Clear the Windows Paging File turned on. See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314834

    If none of this helps (enough), then take a look here:

    Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP