    thanks
    Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
    Frank

    fg, Dec 12, 2003

  2. fg

    Harrison Guest

    That page has little relevance to modern OS"s such as W2k and XP.

    RAM - If you're not running at least 256 MB's, then make an upgrade
    your first priority towards better performance. Best performance with
    2000 Pro will be with 512 - 1024 MB. It truly is the cheapest
    performance upgrade you can buy.
    http://www.crucial.com

    Paging File - Moving your paging file to separate partition
    (preferably on a second physical disk) can improve performance and
    prevent fragmentation of the paging file. Place the paging file at the
    beginning of the disk where the seek times are the fastest. You can
    re-partition with Partition Magic without the loss of data.
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3371764,00.html

    Scan for Spyware and Adware - You didn't explicitly mention these in
    your post, so if you haven't already, download, install, update and
    run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware. You may also want to use
    Hijackthis to review what's starting up on your PC.
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Hijackthis - http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    Networking - Remove or unbind unused protocols such as NetBIOS.

    Services - By default, Windows 200 starts and runs many services which
    the average home user may never utilize. These services use memory and
    processing resources. Review your services and tweak their startup
    types and stop the ones you don't need or use. Be mindful of
    interdependencies.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/w2kservices.asp

    Drivers and BIOS - Make sure that you have the latest BIOS and device
    drivers available for your system and peripherals.

    Good Luck to you.

    Harrison, Dec 12, 2003

  3. fg

    Billy Guest

    Really could use more configuration info, but two thoughts jump out. How
    many programs/services are loading on startup and is there an active
    unconnected NIC?

    Billy, Dec 12, 2003
  4. fg

    fg Guest

    Thank you for all this.
    I have installed the max (for this machine) of 2566 RAM and I have cleared
    spyware etc too (as well as AV). As mentioned in original post I have done
    the 'housekeeping' chores. I dont have any partitions and for now I think
    I'd prefer not to go there. So what's left are the updates for drivers and
    the 'services' - these are little over my head and the functional
    explanations dont throw much light on their relationship to others or how
    much they may be slowing down the start up and shut down processes.
    Any idea which 'services' may be the culprits? Win2K seems to go throgh so
    many different stages and procedures to boot up.
    thanks
    Frank

    fg, Dec 12, 2003
  5. fg

    fg Guest

    I've stripped the startups to a minimum (StartMan) and the only NIC is
    connected to the net

    fg, Dec 12, 2003
  6. fg

    fg Guest

    I should add that , on starting, the oem 's splash screen (emachines) is up
    for a long time before the Windows 2000 splash screen appears - maybe it's a
    clue?

    fg, Dec 12, 2003
  7. fg

    Harrison Guest

    The fact that it is an emachines system sheds considerable light on
    the problem. I've never seen an emachines I wouldn't gladly give away
    and buy a Dell for.
    If the machine used to boot more quickly and has only recently begun
    to slow down, you may want to consider backing up your data and
    reinstalling the OS.
    Better yet, step up to XP Pro.

    One other thing you may want to try, just to be sure, is to remove the
    NIC and see of it boots quicker. If so, replacing the NIC may be in
    order. I've seen it make a major difference before.

    Harrison, Dec 12, 2003
  8. fg

    fg Guest

    updating the nic driver has made a Huge difference. I had no idea it could
    be so effective.
    thanks

    fg, Dec 12, 2003
  9. fg

    Harrison Guest

    Cool!
    Glad to help.

    Harrison, Dec 12, 2003
  10. fg

    Billy Guest

    Glad to hear it was resolved, out of curiosity which E-Machines model do
    you have?

    Billy, Dec 12, 2003
  11. fg

    fg Guest