Win2k MCSA module requitements - no 70-216?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Sean McCourt, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Sean McCourt

    Sean McCourt Guest

    Hi

    I completed the 70-210 & 70-215 modules over a year ago and failed the
    70-216 exam.

    I recently looked at the Microsoft website and it looks like they have
    changed the modules in the past year for the Win2k MCSA.
    It is my understanding that to become an Win2k MCSA now I have to do
    the following

    1) 70-210 - completed
    2) 70-215 - completed
    3) 70-218 - not done (plan on doing this next)
    4) 70-028 or 70-081 or 70-086 or 70-088 or 70-214 or 70-216

    This means that I don't HAVE to do the 70-216 (hard exam) to complete
    my MCSA? I could sit one of the easier modules?

    Can someone please confirm this or correct me if I am wrong.

    Thanks

    Sean McCourt, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Sean McCourt

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "Sean McCourt" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > I completed the 70-210 & 70-215 modules over a year ago and failed the
    > 70-216 exam.
    >
    > I recently looked at the Microsoft website and it looks like they have
    > changed the modules in the past year for the Win2k MCSA.
    > It is my understanding that to become an Win2k MCSA now I have to do
    > the following
    >
    > 1) 70-210 - completed
    > 2) 70-215 - completed
    > 3) 70-218 - not done (plan on doing this next)
    > 4) 70-028 or 70-081 or 70-086 or 70-088 or 70-214 or 70-216
    >
    > This means that I don't HAVE to do the 70-216 (hard exam) to complete
    > my MCSA? I could sit one of the easier modules?
    >
    > Can someone please confirm this or correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    > Thanks

    Or A+ and Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Sean McCourt

    Rick Guest

    That is so lame, Microsoft should require the 70-216. As usual MS has now
    devalued my certification not that it was worth much now anyway. I am glad I
    went on and finished my MCSE so I can get a job making 30,000 doing desktop
    support.

    Rick

    Rick, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Sean McCourt

    SJ Guest

    That's one way to look at it, but there are others.

    While a MCSE (Engineer) will be involved in much of the heavy lifting
    of a network requiring them to setup DNS, DHCP, WINS and more, a MCSA
    (Administrator)is not necessarily the one involved in setting up these
    services within a network.

    A MCSA certainly needs to know what the networking services are doing,
    but the 216 test is much deeper than just what the services are doing.
    You need to understand the underlying details.

    The 216 test is a good stepping stone for a MCSA on the way to
    becoming a MCSE, but certainly not required.

    More, I really don't think this is a recent change. Alternative
    electives have been available for as long as the MCSA has been around.

    Congratulations on taking the next step and getting your MCSE. If
    you're not going anywhere in the job you're at, you might consider
    moving out. Many, many times, hungry IT workers start off in low end
    jobs, learn as much as they can by doing the best they can, but none
    of that is appreciated by the company they're at. No problem, it's a
    great proving ground. Now your resume shows certification and
    experience and you become much more valuable to another company.

    Of course, all of that is dependent on doing well in the entry level
    job. If someone can't do the entry level job well, they won't go far
    up the IT ladder.
    I like what St. Francis De Sales once said - Bloom where you're
    planted. Even if that's an entry level job.

    sj
    MCT, MCSA, MCSE...
    www.certquest.net

    SJ, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Sean McCourt

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "SJ" <> wrote in message
    > That's one way to look at it, but there are others.
    >
    > While a MCSE (Engineer) will be involved in much of the heavy lifting
    > of a network requiring them to setup DNS, DHCP, WINS and more, a MCSA
    > (Administrator)is not necessarily the one involved in setting up these
    > services within a network.
    >
    > A MCSA certainly needs to know what the networking services are doing,
    > but the 216 test is much deeper than just what the services are doing.
    > You need to understand the underlying details.
    >
    > The 216 test is a good stepping stone for a MCSA on the way to
    > becoming a MCSE, but certainly not required.
    >
    > More, I really don't think this is a recent change. Alternative
    > electives have been available for as long as the MCSA has been around.
    >
    > Congratulations on taking the next step and getting your MCSE. If
    > you're not going anywhere in the job you're at, you might consider
    > moving out. Many, many times, hungry IT workers start off in low end
    > jobs, learn as much as they can by doing the best they can, but none
    > of that is appreciated by the company they're at. No problem, it's a
    > great proving ground. Now your resume shows certification and
    > experience and you become much more valuable to another company.
    >
    > Of course, all of that is dependent on doing well in the entry level
    > job. If someone can't do the entry level job well, they won't go far
    > up the IT ladder.
    > I like what St. Francis De Sales once said - Bloom where you're
    > planted. Even if that's an entry level job.

    Good advice, thanks.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Sean McCourt

    jtyrhe Guest

    Excellent points, and while employed and gaining
    experience it seems easier to find a better job. Everyone
    wants someone who is already taken.

    Jtyhre

    jtyrhe, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Sean McCourt

    Mike Harvey Guest

    Yes, but the 216 test will be required to upgrade from MCSA to MCSE
    for Windows 2000, so, you'll have to do it sooner or latter to move
    beyond MCSA level.

    Mike

    Mike Harvey, Jun 23, 2004