    That is not very convenient. Can't you save the name and password.
    Also is there a way to setup so you still have a firewall but it makes
    an exception for my laptop somehow? Thanks for your help.

    lbbss, Sep 24, 2006

  2. lbbss

    John Guest

    On 24 Sep 2006 13:57:44 -0700, "lbbss" <> wrote:

    >I have a win2000 computer and an xp laptop. I finally got the file
    >sharing to work, by turning off ZoneAlarm and windows xp firewall on
    >the laptop. Do I need to do this every time I share printer or files,
    >turn off both firewalls and have to type in the user name and password.
    > That is not very convenient. Can't you save the name and password.
    > Also is there a way to setup so you still have a firewall but it makes
    >an exception for my laptop somehow? Thanks for your help.

    I personally would not run the WinXP firewall and Zone Alarm at the
    same time. Some others might disagree but IMO Zone Alarm alone should
    be sufficient. So if you turn off the WinXP firewall then you won't
    have to worry about it anymore.

    As far as file sharing goes with Zone Alarm goes, see this web page.

    http://tinyurl.com/l6m7v

    It explains how to configure Zone Alarm to allow other computers on
    your home network. You shouldn't have to turn it off every time you
    share files between your two computers if you follow the instructions
    at this Zone Alarm support site.

    John, Sep 25, 2006

  3. lbbss

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: Win2k desktop to xp Laptop. Sharing files disable Zone alarm?Save settings?

    lbbss wrote:
    > I have a win2000 computer and an xp laptop. I finally got the file
    > sharing to work, by turning off ZoneAlarm and windows xp firewall on
    > the laptop. Do I need to do this every time I share printer or files,
    > turn off both firewalls and have to type in the user name and password.
    > That is not very convenient. Can't you save the name and password.
    > Also is there a way to setup so you still have a firewall but it makes
    > an exception for my laptop somehow? Thanks for your help.

    The XP FW should have an Exception rule to auto open the Windows
    Networking ports. ZA should have a similar rule that auto opens the WNP(s).

    The link tells you which ports on the personal FW(s) that must be open
    to allow networking, 137-139 and 445(NT based) O/S like Win 2K and XP.

    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

    If you can't auto open the ports, then you'll have to do it manually.

    I hope you're doing this behind a router, otherwise, the machines are
    just hack bait.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 25, 2006
  4. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Re: Win2k desktop to xp Laptop. Sharing files disable Zone alarm? Save settings?

    Thanks for that info. That works great.

    p.s. I am not using two different firewall on the same computer. I
    have a wireless router and ZA on my desktop and on my laptop I have
    windows xp firewall.

    lbbss, Sep 25, 2006