    TIA

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Gavin Tunney

    Matt B Guest

    In news:,
    Gavin Tunney <> wrote:
    > Can anyone point me at some decent info on the above. Google has heaps
    > of links but I'd prefer something not written in swahili & wading thru
    > that lot isn't much fun.
    >
    > In particular I want a basic rundown on the licencing & how it differs
    > from 2k server. Is a 2k workstation licenced for it, and can you run
    > the licencing server on the box that's running the terminal server?
    > Seems obvious I know but haven't found an answer to that simple
    > question.

    IIRC licencing is only different in that there are no inbuilt licences at
    all, not even for XPP machines.

    > Just curious.. what's people's impressions of 2003 server?

    Apart from the licencing, looks good for TS (better colour, sound) but
    personally I can't justify the cost for a few features.

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Matt B, Feb 15, 2004

    www.microsoft.com/terminalservices

    > In particular I want a basic rundown on the licencing & how it differs

    Best new thing is you can license per user or per device

    http://microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/termservlic.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/ts2003.mspx

    > from 2k server. Is a 2k workstation licenced for it, and can you run

    No, but any XP Pro license you owned on April 24, 2003 can get free 2003 TS
    CALs

    > the licencing server on the box that's running the terminal server?

    Yes

    > Seems obvious I know but haven't found an answer to that simple
    > question.
    >
    > Just curious.. what's people's impressions of 2003 server?

    All round great. More secure, more bang for your buck, around twice as fast
    across most workloads

    "do more with less"

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Gavin Tunney

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:22:25 -0800, "Nathan Mercer"
    <> wrote:

    >> Can anyone point me at some decent info on the above. Google has heaps
    >> of links but I'd prefer something not written in swahili & wading thru
    >> that lot isn't much fun.

    <snip>
    >> from 2k server. Is a 2k workstation licenced for it, and can you run

    >No, but any XP Pro license you owned on April 24, 2003 can get free 2003 TS
    >CALs

    Ok, ta.

    >> the licencing server on the box that's running the terminal server?

    >Yes

    Main thing I wanted to know, manual was a bit vague there.

    >> Seems obvious I know but haven't found an answer to that simple
    >> question.
    >>
    >> Just curious.. what's people's impressions of 2003 server?

    >All round great. More secure, more bang for your buck, around twice as fast
    >across most workloads

    I've got mixed impressions so far. I like the ability to do a quick
    format with a fresh install. Speed seems good on new hardware, tried
    it on a 2.4ghz HP server that only had 128mb RAM and was surprised
    how well it ran. After that I also tried it with a dual 667 with 128mb
    and it was a dog so it obviously needs the CPU power.

    Terminal server has a lot more options, high colour is useful although
    I've yet to try it so don't know how well it will work on 10/100.

    Don't like all the new candy much, eg the internet security settings
    which block every single site you want to visit.. overdone there. I
    also dislike the shutdown feature where you have to tell it why you're
    closing down, nor do I like the fact it wants to connect to MS if you
    shut it down for 'unplanned' reasons.

    >"do more with less"

    I'd have thought 'do more with more' would be a better slogan there
    Nathan, does seem to have a lot more features.

    Thanks for the reply

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Feb 17, 2004