    like ports 80 and 53 are blocked.
    Any suggestions?
    Rich
    News, Dec 15, 2004

  2. News

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:16:19 -0500 "News"
    used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Hello,
    > I have a Win2000Pro machine that can ping out to any location on the
    >Internet, including DNS servers, but:
    > 1. It cannot go to sites by IE6.
    > 2. It cannot ping sites (e.g., www.yahoo.com) by name.
    > 3. It cannot find DNS servers for nslookup
    > Also, it is on a small Lan with other computers that can get to the
    >Internet by IE6.
    > I have used the latest Ad-Aware to remove junk.
    > Also, Norton Anti-Virus reports (recently updated) that no virus is
    >found.
    > There is no software firewall on this machine, yet, it is acting
    >like ports 80 and 53 are blocked.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Rich

    Check your HOSTS file @ c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts for rogue entries

    Also try:

    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Dec 15, 2004

  3. News

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "News" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    > I have a Win2000Pro machine that can ping out to any location on the
    > Internet, including DNS servers, but:
    > 1. It cannot go to sites by IE6.
    > 2. It cannot ping sites (e.g., www.yahoo.com) by name.
    > 3. It cannot find DNS servers for nslookup
    > Also, it is on a small Lan with other computers that can get to
    > the
    > Internet by IE6.
    > I have used the latest Ad-Aware to remove junk.
    > Also, Norton Anti-Virus reports (recently updated) that no virus
    > is
    > found.
    > There is no software firewall on this machine, yet, it is
    > acting
    > like ports 80 and 53 are blocked.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Rich

    You can install a packet sniffer on the computers and see what's happeing
    with the packets. You have a few you can choose from but most go with
    Ethereal.

    http://tinyurl.com/589nh

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 15, 2004