    If not normal, how do I fix it? I can find no mal ware or crap ware running
    so I am at a loss.

    thanks.

    win2000 user?, Jan 25, 2004

  2. win2000 user?

    chessucat Guest

    win2000 user? wrote:
    <snipped some>
    > I had not noticed before so I am unsure if this is part of the problem or
    > not, but, now when I check the running services tab in Control
    > Panel/Administative Tools/ComputerManagment I see there are 3 different
    > versions of svchost.exe running concurrently. Is this normal? What is this
    > file for?
    >
    > If not normal, how do I fix it? I can find no mal ware or crap ware running
    > so I am at a loss.
    >
    > thanks.

    Yes, normally there is two to three svchosts running when you are
    running certain services.

    <chesucat twitched>

    --
    SDF Public Access UNIX System, Est. 1987 <http://sdf.lonestar.org/>
    Helpful information for users of the UNIX operating system!

    chessucat, Jan 25, 2004

  3. win2000 user?

    docmill Guest

    "win2000 user?" <> wrote in

    > Ok, here's the thing:
    >
    > I have this box running win 2000 there are 3 user accounts, 1 admin
    > account, and 1 guest. there is a software firewall installed and
    > running (sygate) there is a cable router operating.
    >
    > The kids have started playing an online game that seems to be a java
    > based game and it has started causing the computer to slow down to a
    > crawl. I say this because the computer has been up and stable for 6-8
    > months now with only a reboot required for the addition of another
    > hard drive.
    >
    > I had not noticed before so I am unsure if this is part of the problem
    > or not, but, now when I check the running services tab in Control
    > Panel/Administative Tools/ComputerManagment I see there are 3
    > different versions of svchost.exe running concurrently. Is this
    > normal? What is this file for?
    >
    > If not normal, how do I fix it? I can find no mal ware or crap ware
    > running so I am at a loss.
    >
    > thanks.

    welchia worm
    Look for info on this.

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, Jan 25, 2004
  4. win2000 user?

    Zermut Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:51:28 GMT, "win2000 user?"
    <> picked a plump bugger and in sanskrit
    smeared the following cryptic message:

    >Ok, here's the thing:
    >
    >I have this box running win 2000 there are 3 user accounts, 1 admin account,
    >and 1 guest. there is a software firewall installed and running (sygate)
    >there is a cable router operating.

    Do you really need a software firewall on your computer? I don't think
    so since the router has a firewall built in and the software firewall
    is not needed. Having a software firewall can really jam up the
    connection to the router, as I found out when I use a router, I would
    lose connection to the cable modem and have to reboot all 3 devices,
    cable modem, router and computer.

    Zermut, Jan 25, 2004
  5. win2000 user?

    Linuxuser Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:10:19 +0000, chessucat chundered:

    > win2000 user? wrote:
    > <snipped some>
    >> I had not noticed before so I am unsure if this is part of the problem
    >> or not, but, now when I check the running services tab in Control
    >> Panel/Administative Tools/ComputerManagment I see there are 3 different
    >> versions of svchost.exe running concurrently. Is this normal? What is
    >> this file for?
    >>
    >> If not normal, how do I fix it? I can find no mal ware or crap ware
    >> running so I am at a loss.
    >>
    >> thanks.

    > Yes, normally there is two to three svchosts running when you are running
    > certain services.

    Thank you, What are the assosiations?

    Linuxuser, Jan 26, 2004
  6. win2000 user?

    Linuxuser Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:12:28 +0000, docmill chundered:

    > welchia worm
    > Look for info on this.

    Ok, I checked the Symantec site, there apears to be no changes to the
    box's registry that would correspond to that worms signature.

    Any other guesses would be greatly apreciated.

    Linuxuser, Jan 26, 2004
  7. win2000 user?

    Linuxuser Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:39:09 +0000, Zermut chundered:

    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:51:28 GMT, "win2000 user?"
    > <> picked a plump bugger and in sanskrit smeared
    > the following cryptic message:
    >
    >>Ok, here's the thing:
    >>
    >>I have this box running win 2000 there are 3 user accounts, 1 admin
    >>account, and 1 guest. there is a software firewall installed and running
    >>(sygate) there is a cable router operating.

    > Do you really need a software firewall on your computer? I don't think so
    > since the router has a firewall built in and the software firewall is not
    > needed. Having a software firewall can really jam up the connection to the
    > router, as I found out when I use a router, I would lose connection to the
    > cable modem and have to reboot all 3 devices, cable modem, router and
    > computer.

    I don't really know that "need" is the way I would put it. I prefer to
    maintain tighter control over what comes in and goes OUT from this little
    network. The problem is not so much the probe attempts by hackers as it is
    the possibility of someone (kids) downloading and installing say Kazaa.
    With the software firewall running those apps cannot get out unless I
    allow it. The hardware firewall does not allow that level of controll.
    Running windows 2000 I have had very few problems with the router, more
    with my poor understanding of Linux (Mandrake 9.0) This box gives me a few
    headaches as I try to configure it.

    Linuxuser, Jan 26, 2004