Win2000 Machine locks up after 10-12 minutes...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carlos, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work every
    10 or 12 minutes or so.
    Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good and
    the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it still works
    fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
    After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl... when I
    hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%

    I disabled just about everything in windows startup and used "Startup
    Control Panel 2.8" by Mike Lin to disable just about everything.

    I took out the hard drive and connected it to mine and did a Virus check and
    it checked out ok...

    I installed 2 Anti-Spyware programs and still the same thing.
    I uninstalled almost every single program available in the add/remove...

    I'm stumped...
    It's a Chaintech mother board with a P4 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, Maxtor Hard Drive
    (which all seem to be good)... This person doesn't want to reinstall the
    OS and is willing to wait some time to get it going right... any help would
    be greatly appreciated... thanks

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Carlos

    Isaac Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in

    > I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work
    > every 10 or 12 minutes or so.
    > Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good
    > and the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it
    > still works fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
    > After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl...
    > when I hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%

    Can't you see which process is consuming all this?

    Isaac, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Nope... there is a list of all the processes... about 22 or so but there is
    nothing to indicate what's taking up the processing?

    Carlos, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Carlos

    Roy Jones Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:28:52 GMT, Carlos wrote:

    > I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work every
    > 10 or 12 minutes or so.
    > Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good and
    > the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it still works
    > fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
    > After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl... when I
    > hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%
    >
    > I disabled just about everything in windows startup and used "Startup
    > Control Panel 2.8" by Mike Lin to disable just about everything.
    >
    > I took out the hard drive and connected it to mine and did a Virus check and
    > it checked out ok...
    >
    > I installed 2 Anti-Spyware programs and still the same thing.
    > I uninstalled almost every single program available in the add/remove...
    >
    > I'm stumped...
    > It's a Chaintech mother board with a P4 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, Maxtor Hard Drive
    > (which all seem to be good)... This person doesn't want to reinstall the
    > OS and is willing to wait some time to get it going right... any help would
    > be greatly appreciated... thanks
    >
    > Carlos

    Have you considered the possibility that it might be some component other
    than the CPU overheating? A failed junction in some solid state part can
    cause the sort of failure you're seeing. The component might overheat, but
    because it's so small, it won't have any effect on the ambient temperature
    of the PC.

    Roy

    Roy Jones, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Carlos

    Isaac Guest

    I have had something similar. On a dual processor system with W2000 one
    processor was used for nearly 100%, all kernel time, and the system wasn't
    stable either. With Performance monitor (%SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc
    /s), I discovered that that processor had to handle about 100000
    interrupts/sec. Alas I couldn't see which interrupt it was.

    Google told me that it was a BIOS bug on my mobo, there was a conflict in
    some TLA I can't remember. I had to reinstall W2000, where I had to tell
    setup that it was a default dual processor system, instead of a more
    advanced one, which was detected automatically.

    Now your system: I would check if there are some powersavings enabled in
    the BIOS.

    Isaac

    Isaac, Apr 21, 2004