    win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices?
    Tnx,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Tosh

    Guest

    Tosh wrote:
    > Sometimes I've got luck, sometimes not, I really don't know why.
    > I did read a microsoft paper that suggests to check a registry key, but this
    > key is always ok even on the servers that doesn't accept associations.
    > Anyone can point me to a good source of informations on how to configure a
    > win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices?

    My understanding is:-

    Win 2000 - need 3rd party software since their sntp is not compatible
    with cisco ntp. Did not try configuring sntp on cisco which I
    noticed a reference to recently.

    I think that Win2003 ntp is ok.

    On cisco all you need is

    ntp server x.x.x.x

    ntp server 130.88.203.64
    ntp server 128.252.19.1

    h#sh ntp ass

    address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
    disp
    ~130.88.203.64 0.0.0.0 16 - 64 0 0.0 0.00
    16000.
    *~128.252.19.1 .USNO. 1 41 64 377 119.6 -1.62
    0.6
    * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
    configured

    Here one server is working OK and the other is not working at all.

    , Nov 7, 2006

  3. Roger that the Windows builtin (w32time) NTP service will not (usually)
    successfully supply time to IOS NTP clients. (It will [generally] be able
    to supply time to IOS SNTP clients.)

    If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's
    where to go:

    http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Tosh wrote:
    ~ > Sometimes I've got luck, sometimes not, I really don't know why.
    ~ > I did read a microsoft paper that suggests to check a registry key, but this
    ~ > key is always ok even on the servers that doesn't accept associations.
    ~ > Anyone can point me to a good source of informations on how to configure a
    ~ > win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices?
    ~
    ~ My understanding is:-
    ~

    Aaron Leonard, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Tosh

    Tosh Guest

    > If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's
    > where to go:
    >
    > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt

    I've got time just now to install the above ntp server and it works, thanks
    a lot Aaron.
    Now the big question is, since this application disables w32time on the win
    server, do I have to expect some kind of troubles on the windows clients?
    Tnx again,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Nov 14, 2006
  5. ~ > If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's
    ~ > where to go:
    ~ >
    ~ > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt
    ~ >
    ~
    ~ I've got time just now to install the above ntp server and it works, thanks
    ~ a lot Aaron.
    ~ Now the big question is, since this application disables w32time on the win
    ~ server, do I have to expect some kind of troubles on the windows clients?
    ~ Tnx again,
    ~ Tosh.
    ~

    Well, I guess you *COULD* have a problem with your Windows clients. w32time,
    as I recall it, is capable of providing time both via NTP and via some
    Windows proprietary method. If you want it to do the latter but not the
    former, then you should be able to configure it for that (and thus have w32time
    coexist with your new GOOD NTP server.)

    Alternatively, you could just set up your windows clients to get their time via
    NTP. This can be done by reconfiguring w32time as an NTP client on *them* or
    by adding an NTP implementation to them (the full blown one above, or just a
    client side one (like NTPtime, http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/ntptime.html).

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Nov 16, 2006