    was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31 July
    2005.

    TIA.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGluIExp?=, Apr 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGluIExp?=

    DP Guest

    I have no experience with this, and I don't even know if it's legal. I'm
    sure there are others on this group who can speak knowledgeably on this
    subject.
    I've heard that if you buy a piece of computer equipment from a company,
    that authorizes them to sell you the OEM version of software. Not just OS's
    but things like Quicken, Works, etc. Buying a part may be something as small
    as a floppy drive (how much are those these days? About $20?) or a stick of
    memory. If you have need for a new hard drive, video card, mobo, that would
    be another way to do this.
    As I said, I've only heard about such things and have never bought software
    that way. There may be cautions as well, like product support.

    You might look on the sites of some of the reputable parts dealers and see
    if they offer OEM software and see if they require you to purchase some kind
    of "hardware." If it was a dealer of the caliber of say, New Egg or
    Cyberguys, then I'd think it's all on the up-and-up. On the other hand, I
    certainly wouldn't be buying OEM from somebody who sent you some spam.

    DP, Apr 11, 2006

  3. There isn't a retail version of Windows XP Professional x64, its distributed
    only as an OEM license, which means you need to acquire it with qualifying
    hardware such as a Mouse, Motherboard or hard disk. There is also no upgrade
    path from x86 Windows XP Professional, the TAP Program that ended July 31st
    required that you exchanged your Windows XP Professional x86 license for
    Windows XP Professional x64, by doing this, your Windows XP Professional x86
    license would be deactivated.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 11, 2006
  4. Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased an OEM
    version from someone else without any hardware. They had installed it on
    their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had already registered the
    product using the product key (that 25 alpha-numeric string). So when we went
    to do this compulsory registration and entered the product key, it came back
    saying that the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
    return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly ask for their
    help?

    Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable places to
    go and buy the OEM version?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGluIExp?=, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Lin Li <> wrote in

    > Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased
    > an OEM version from someone else without any hardware. They had
    > installed it on their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had
    > already registered the product using the product key (that 25
    > alpha-numeric string). So when we went to do this compulsory
    > registration and entered the product key, it came back saying that
    > the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
    > return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly
    > ask for their help?

    Yes, preferrably the first option.

    > Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable
    > places to go and buy the OEM version?

    Newegg, yes. I don't have personal experience with the second place
    but I'm sure someone else here will have and can share their experience
    with you.
    David R. Norton MVP, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Its worth a try calling them and give them a reasonable explanation,
    although I think the OEM license agreement specifies that support comes from
    the vendor you purchased the software from. Its still worth a try though,
    although you wait 120 days when the Activation on MS Servers recycles and
    try activating again.

    As for purchasing the software, my experience with Directron has been good,
    no problems, thats where I bought my license with a Dell PS/2 mouse as
    qualifying hardware. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 11, 2006
  7. Both those outlets are reputable and provide good value for money. I've
    bought from both.

    Return the software to the vendor that sold it to you, and demand your money
    back. If they give you a hard time, bang them in to

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 11, 2006
  8. You can buy an Authentic OEM Copy of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition from
    Newegg.com (If you live in the U.S.A.). The purchase will come with a Proof
    of Licence Sticker containing both A Certificate of Authenticity and your
    Product Key. The OS will most likely be packaged with a New Power Cord for
    your PC (which you will also have to pay for as well as the OS).

    Kevin John Panzke, Apr 11, 2006
  9. Lin Li wrote:
    > Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased an OEM
    > version from someone else without any hardware. They had installed it on
    > their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had already registered the
    > product using the product key (that 25 alpha-numeric string). So when we went
    > to do this compulsory registration and entered the product key, it came back
    > saying that the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
    > return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly ask for their
    > help?

    You'll need to return the software to the seller; Microsoft won't
    assist you , as an OEM license is permanently bound to the first
    computer on which it is installed, and can never legitimately be
    transferred to any other computer, under any circumstances.

    > Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable places to
    > go and buy the OEM version?

    NewEgg, yes; I'm not familiar with Directron.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm