    and a laptop I have been offered has home will they work together in a
    network

    Thanks

    mark taylor, May 31, 2005

  2. mark taylor wrote:

    > Can someone please explain the main difference of Home & Pro. My PC has Pro
    > and a laptop I have been offered has home will they work together in a
    > network

    Yes, they will work together. Most people will get along just fine with
    XP Home.

    Copy and pasted from
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    Pro features that aren't in Home Edition
    The following features are not present in Windows XP Home Edition.

    * Power user Remote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP--including
    Home Edition--support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support
    technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely
    connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro
    supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session
    version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals
    who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote
    administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP
    Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client
    (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the
    client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.
    * Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two
    microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.
    * Automated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial
    move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows
    XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if
    you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The
    reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System
    Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system
    from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system
    unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing
    you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive
    dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as
    System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from
    within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there
    is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even
    though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes.
    But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan.
    * Dynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows
    2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not
    (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks
    are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro,
    and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition
    does not include the Logical Disk Manager.
    * Fax - Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the
    box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.
    * Internet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition
    does not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro.

    * Security Encrypting File System - Windows XP Professional
    supports the Encrypting File System (EFS), which allows you encrypt
    individual files or folders for local security (EFS is not enabled over
    a network). EFS-protected files and folders allows users to protect
    sensitive documents from other users.
    * File-level access control - Any user with Administrator
    privileges can limit access to certain network resources, such as
    servers, directories, and files, using access control lists. Only
    Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly
    because this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy
    Objects, which are also not available in Home Edition.
    * "C2" certification - Microsoft will attempt to have Windows XP
    Professional certified with the "C2" security designation, a largely
    irrelevant status, but one which will not be afforded to Home Edition.

    * Management Domain membership - Home Edition cannot be used to
    logon to an Active Directory domain. For obvious reasons, the Domain
    Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.
    * Group Policy - Since Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an
    Active Directory domain, Group Policy--whereby applications, network
    resources, and operating systems are administered for domain users--is
    not supported either.
    * IntelliMirror - Microsoft lumps a wide range of semi-related
    change and configuration management technologies under the IntelliMirror
    umbrella, and none of these features are supported in the consumer
    oriented Home Edition. IntelliMirror capabilities include user data
    management; centrally-managed software installation, repair, updating,
    and removal; user settings management; and Remote Installation Services
    (RIS), which allows administrators to remotely install the OS on client
    systems.
    * Roaming profiles - This feature allows users to logon to any
    computer in an Active Directory network and automatically receive their
    customized settings. It is not available in Home Edition, which cannot
    logon to an Active Directory domain.

    * Corporate deployment Multi-language support - Only Windows XP
    Professional will ship in a Multi-Language version or support multiple
    languages in a single install.
    * Sysprep support - Windows XP Pro will support the System
    Preparation (Sysprep) utility, while Home Edition will not.
    * RIS support - See the IntelliMirror heading in the previous
    section; Home Edition does not support RIS deployments.

    * 64-bit Edition Microsoft is shipping a 64-bit version of Windows
    XP for Intel Itanium systems that mirrors the Professional Edition
    feature-set.

    Networking features
    * The following networking features are not included in Home
    Edition: The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)
    * SNMP
    * Simple TCP/IP services
    * SAP Agent
    * Client Service for NetWare
    * Network Monitor
    * Multiple Roaming feature

    User interface features
    * Windows XP Home Edition has some different default settings that
    affect the user interface. For example, Guest logon is on by default in
    Home, but off in Pro. The Address bar in Explorer windows is on in Pro
    by default, but off in Home. During the beta period, Microsoft had
    intended to use a business-oriented shell theme ("Professional") by
    default in Pro and the "Luna" consumer theme in Home Edition. But
    feedback from corporate users suggested that everyone liked the
    consumer-oriented Luna theme better, and development of the Professional
    theme was cancelled. Other user interface features that are present in
    Pro but not Home include: Client-side caching
    * Administrative Tools option on the Start menu (a subset of the
    Admin tools are still present in Home, however).

    It's also worth mentioning that Home Edition will support upgrades from
    Windows 98, 98 SE, and Millennium Edition (Me), but not from Windows 95,
    NT 4.0 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional. You can upgrade from
    Windows 98, 98 SE, Millennium Edition (Me), Windows NT 4.0 Workstation,
    or Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Professional. See my article
    on What to Expect from Windows XP for more information.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 31, 2005

  3. mark taylor

    Dave Lear Guest

    Dave Lear, May 31, 2005
  4. mark taylor

    Ron Martell Guest

    "mark taylor" <> wrote:

    >Can someone please explain the main difference of Home & Pro. My PC has Pro
    >and a laptop I have been offered has home will they work together in a
    >network
    >
    >Thanks

    Windows XP Pro is a "superset" of Windows XP Home. In other words,
    Pro contains certain features and functions which are not included in
    Home. Other than these the two versions are identical, and they are
    both compiled from the same source code base. In particular there is
    zero difference in performance or stability between the two versions.

    See the following web sites for information on the specific
    differences:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    One additional difference, which is not specifically mentioned on the
    above sites, is that in a peer-to-peer network configuration XP Home
    only allows 5 concurrent logins to a shared network resource whereas
    XP Pro allows 10.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --