    inquiring about this just in case.

    Any useful comments will be appreciated.
    , Feb 27, 2010

  2. If you're going to dual boot, you need to have a separate partition (disk
    drive letter) for Win7 to install to. You can't do an "upgrade", however,
    since you're not removing the existing version of Windows. An upgrade
    version is only for replacing an existing Windows. (To be clear, you would
    have to do a clean installation regardless -- there is no inplace upgrade
    from XP x64 to any later version. But you can use an upgrade copy of Win7 if
    you start the process from a running XP x64 and replace your existing XP
    x64. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 27, 2010

  3. Tom Guest

    Actually, if he partitions the drive (he didn't say he did, just that he has
    the space for two OSes), he could put Win7 on a 2nd partition, even if it is
    in place upgrade, of which it would have to be. But, he would have to break
    the EULA to do that with his XP x64 disc. You gave the hint on how to do
    that in your last statement.

    Tom, Feb 27, 2010
  4. Guest

    On Feb 27, 11:24 am, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > Actually, if he partitions the drive (he didn't say he did, just that he has
    > the space for two OSes), he could put Win7 on a 2nd partition, even if it is
    > in place upgrade, of which it would have to be. But, he would have to break
    > the EULA to do that with his XP x64 disc. You gave the hint on how to do
    > that in your last statement.
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in messagenews:#...
    >
    > > If you're going to dual boot, you need to have a separate partition (disk
    > > drive letter) for Win7 to install to. You can't do an "upgrade", however,
    > > since you're not removing the existing version of Windows. An upgrade
    > > version is only for replacing an existing Windows.  (To be clear, you
    > > would have to do a clean installation regardless -- there is no inplace
    > > upgrade from XP x64 to any later version. But you can use an upgrade copy
    > > of Win7 if you start the process from a running XP x64 and replace your
    > > existing XP x64. )

    > > --
    > > Charlie.
    > >http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    > > <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm getting ready to instanll win 7 pro 64bit on my PC that is
    > >> presently running win XP X64. I have enough room to do a dual boot,
    > >> though I'm in the process of backing everything up on external drives.
    > >> (Ya never know!) I have run the windows 7 upgrade advisor (sic) and it
    > >> seems to be happy with all but my printer.

    > >> The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-k8N Ultra-9. For the orginal installation, I
    > >> had to use a floppy to load the device drivers for the software raid.
    > >> I don't see these drivers for windows 7 listed.

    > >> I'm assuming since I am doing the dual boot, I can do the installation
    > >> with X64 running, and just tell windows 7 where to do the
    > >> installation, so probably I don't need the 3rd party drivers. But I'm
    > >> inquiring about this just in case.

    > >> Any useful comments will be appreciated.

    I have a full version of Windows 7 64 bit. Fry's had them on sale last
    week for basically the price of the upgrade retail version. OEM of
    course, but I've never got support from Microsoft ever. Most of the
    time, somebody has already had whatever problem I have, so I get the
    information on the net. The contributors on usenet often know more
    than the MS tech group.

    I already have the partition ready on the hard drive.

    I'm doing backups by copy instead of the windows backup, except now I
    recall why I use the windows backup for this task in the past. Every
    once in a while when copying large blocks of directories the
    operation hangs up in windows for no good reason. I got a complaint
    about lack of space, but that just wasn't the case.

    Now I noticed I forgot to turn off indexing when doing the gigabytes
    of copying. That someones gives the system headaches. Anyway, I'd kind
    of like to see all the files on the backup drive before doing the
    install, rather than one big backup file. Maybe I'll do it both ways.
    You can't be too careful.

    As an aside, once in a while a use 7-zip to do the copy and compress
    at the same time. This is a compromise between just copying files
    directly and using the windows backup. It seems windows gets bogged
    down creating lots of files at once, so using 7-zip gets around that
    problem. I've seen this problem on win2kpro and XP X64, so I don't
    think it is my hardware. I had a situation where I had to copy a
    partition with a bit over a million files. The only solution was to
    boot to partition magic and copy from one drive to the other. The
    directories were NTFS, so there was no issue with too many files in
    the directory.
    , Feb 28, 2010
  5. Tom Guest

    <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > of copying. That someones gives the system headaches. Anyway, I'd kind
    > of like to see all the files on the backup drive before doing the
    > install, rather than one big backup file. Maybe I'll do it both ways.
    > You can't be too careful.
    >
    > As an aside, once in a while a use 7-zip to do the copy and compress
    > at the same time. This is a compromise between just copying files
    > directly and using the windows backup. It seems windows gets bogged
    > down creating lots of files at once, so using 7-zip gets around that
    > problem. I've seen this problem on win2kpro and XP X64, so I don't
    > think it is my hardware. I had a situation where I had to copy a
    > partition with a bit over a million files. The only solution was to
    > boot to partition magic and copy from one drive to the other. The
    > directories were NTFS, so there was no issue with too many files in

    Since you have a full copy, you are definitely good to go with the
    installation. OEM versions (as you pointed out), don't get MS support, hence
    why they are much less expensive then the retail. The bad part, once you
    install it to that machine, it is tied to that machine. IOWs, it cannot
    (according to the EULA), be even removed and then installed on another
    machine, like the retail version can.
    Tom, Feb 28, 2010
  6. Guest

    On Feb 27, 6:47 pm, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Feb 27, 11:24 am, "Tom" <> wrote:
    > >> Actually, if he partitions the drive (he didn't say he did, just that he
    > >> has
    > >> the space for two OSes), he could put Win7 on a 2nd partition, even if it
    > >> is
    > >> in place upgrade, of which it would have to be. But, he would have to
    > >> break
    > >> the EULA to do that with his XP x64 disc. You gave the hint on how to do
    > >> that in your last statement.

    > >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    > >> messagenews:#...

    > > I have a full version of Windows 7 64 bit. Fry's had them on sale last
    > > week for basically the price of the upgrade retail version. OEM of
    > > course, but I've never got support from Microsoft ever. Most of the
    > > time, somebody has already had whatever problem I have, so I get the
    > > information on the net. The contributors on usenet often know more
    > > than the MS tech group.

    > > I already have the partition ready on the hard drive.

    > > I'm doing backups by copy instead of the windows backup, except now  I
    > > recall why I use the windows backup for this task in the past. Every
    > > once in a while when  copying large blocks of directories the
    > > operation hangs up in windows for no good reason.  I got a complaint
    > > about lack of space, but that just wasn't the case.

    > > Now I noticed I forgot to turn off indexing when doing the gigabytes
    > > of copying. That someones gives the system headaches. Anyway, I'd kind
    > > of like to see all the files on the backup drive before doing the
    > > install, rather than one big backup file. Maybe I'll do it both ways.
    > > You can't be too careful.

    > > As an aside, once in a while a use 7-zip to do the copy and compress
    > > at the same time. This is a compromise between just copying files
    > > directly and using the windows backup. It seems windows gets bogged
    > > down creating lots of files at once, so using 7-zip gets around that
    > > problem. I've seen this problem on win2kpro and XP X64, so I don't
    > > think it is my hardware. I had a situation where I had to copy a
    > > partition with a bit over a million files. The only solution was to
    > > boot to partition magic and copy from one drive to the other. The
    > > directories were NTFS, so there was no issue with too many files in
    > > the directory.

    > Since you have a full copy, you are definitely good to go with the
    > installation. OEM versions (as you pointed out), don't get MS support, hence
    > why they are much less expensive then the retail. The bad part, once you
    > install it to that machine, it is tied to that machine. IOWs, it cannot
    > (according to the EULA), be even removed and then installed on another
    > machine, like the retail version can.

    I considered the lack of transportability, but figured when I get
    around to building a new PC, the cost of a new OS is just part of the
    package. I tend to be number crunching on linux boxes and should be
    websurfing on them too, so this PC (Athlon X2 4400+ with ) will do me
    for some time.

    I used to do PC upgrades to play the next-gen PC games, but I'm not so
    convinced that is even useful these days. I am just amazed at what
    they can do on the Xbox, and 1080 lines is good enough. I'm going to
    fiddle with windows embedded for some other stuff, so MS can still tax
    me. ;-)
    , Feb 28, 2010
  7. Tom Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 27, 6:47 pm, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > I have a full version of Windows 7 64 bit. Fry's had them on sale last
    >> > week for basically the price of the upgrade retail version. OEM of
    >> > course, but I've never got support from Microsoft ever. Most of the
    >> > time, somebody has already had whatever problem I have, so I get the
    >> > information on the net. The contributors on usenet often know more
    >> > than the MS tech group.

    >> > I already have the partition ready on the hard drive.

    >> > I'm doing backups by copy instead of the windows backup, except now I
    >> > recall why I use the windows backup for this task in the past. Every
    >> > once in a while when copying large blocks of directories the
    >> > operation hangs up in windows for no good reason. I got a complaint
    >> > about lack of space, but that just wasn't the case.

    >> > Now I noticed I forgot to turn off indexing when doing the gigabytes
    >> > of copying. That someones gives the system headaches. Anyway, I'd kind
    >> > of like to see all the files on the backup drive before doing the
    >> > install, rather than one big backup file. Maybe I'll do it both ways.
    >> > You can't be too careful.

    >> > As an aside, once in a while a use 7-zip to do the copy and compress
    >> > at the same time. This is a compromise between just copying files
    >> > directly and using the windows backup. It seems windows gets bogged
    >> > down creating lots of files at once, so using 7-zip gets around that
    >> > problem. I've seen this problem on win2kpro and XP X64, so I don't
    >> > think it is my hardware. I had a situation where I had to copy a
    >> > partition with a bit over a million files. The only solution was to
    >> > boot to partition magic and copy from one drive to the other. The
    >> > directories were NTFS, so there was no issue with too many files in
    >> > the directory.

    >> Since you have a full copy, you are definitely good to go with the
    >> installation. OEM versions (as you pointed out), don't get MS support,
    >> hence
    >> why they are much less expensive then the retail. The bad part, once you
    >> install it to that machine, it is tied to that machine. IOWs, it cannot
    >> (according to the EULA), be even removed and then installed on another
    >> machine, like the retail version can.

    > I considered the lack of transportability, but figured when I get
    > around to building a new PC, the cost of a new OS is just part of the
    > package. I tend to be number crunching on linux boxes and should be
    > websurfing on them too, so this PC (Athlon X2 4400+ with ) will do me
    > for some time.

    Linux distros are a blast to work with and you're correct about the number
    crunching they can do.

    > I used to do PC upgrades to play the next-gen PC games, but I'm not so
    > convinced that is even useful these days. I am just amazed at what
    > they can do on the Xbox, and 1080 lines is good enough. I'm going to
    > fiddle with windows embedded for some other stuff, so MS can still tax
    > me. ;-)

    Agreed as I am an avid gamer. I just built this rig here last November for
    around $4K, but it is a powerhouse good to go for the next three+ years.
    Console gaming has come a long way and this gen really does provide great
    graphics and gameplay, but they expanded the online play hugely with Xbox
    Live and even the PSN is much better than the old one on the PS2. But, RPGs
    and RTS' still lack on consoles and RPGs are my first love in gaming. I like
    the mods and the fact that load times, texture pop-ins and framerate issues
    are near non-existent on my PC, I cannot say that for the 360. I figure next
    generation will be the one where PC gaming goes bye bye for me as the
    graphics then will definitely be good enough, thye are already good enough
    now, but I listed the reasons why they aren't.
    Tom, Feb 28, 2010