    should be fine).

    Thanks in advance,

    Carol
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:34:02 -0700, Carol Steele
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to install Microsoft's Colour Control Applet - but it quits saying
    >I need SP2, the version which I bought was at SP1 level.

    SP2 is still in beta.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Sep 4, 2006

  3. Windows Server 2003 SP2 (and XP x64 SP2) are still in beta. They are not
    publicly available, and it is not a public beta. No release date has been
    announced that I'm aware of.

    It sounds like your application is confused and thinks you are running
    32-bit XP. Try running it in compatibility mode.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 4, 2006
  4. "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > It sounds like your application is confused and thinks you are running
    > 32-bit XP. Try running it in compatibility mode.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    That might work if I could get it to install - it simply closes after saying
    that it needs to be installed in WinXP SB2. I spoke with some technicians
    here in the UK last week who told me there shouldn't be any problems.

    The guy who wrote it used to hang around the Rob Galbraith forums - but I
    haven't been there since they went Pay per View.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 4, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Ivan Guest

    Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A0-7721-43CA-9174-7F8D429FBB9E&displaylang=en
    System Requirements
    Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Notice that Windows XPx64 is not in the list.
    --
    Ivan

    Ivan, Sep 4, 2006
  6. "Ivan" wrote:

    > Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A0-7721-43CA-9174-7F8D429FBB9E&displaylang=en
    > System Requirements
    > Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    > Notice that Windows XPx64 is not in the list.
    > --
    > Ivan

    Yes, I knew that - which is why I took the trouble to telephone Microsoft
    here in the UK to see if it would work. Obviously it is looking to see if
    SP2 is installed, and although x64 SP1 is a later release than x32 SP1, it is
    throwing out the installation. Most frustrating.

    Carol
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 4, 2006
  7. On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:53:01 +0100, Carol Steele
    <> wrote:

    > "Ivan" wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A0-7721-43CA-9174-7F8D429FBB9E&displaylang=en
    >> System Requirements
    >> Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Home Edition ;
    >> Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP
    >> Tablet PC Edition
    >> Notice that Windows XPx64 is not in the list.
    >> --
    >> Ivan

    > Yes, I knew that - which is why I took the trouble to telephone Microsoft
    > here in the UK to see if it would work. Obviously it is looking to see
    > if
    > SP2 is installed, and although x64 SP1 is a later release than x32 SP1,
    > it is
    > throwing out the installation. Most frustrating.
    >
    > Carol

    Have you tried to run the INSTALLER in compatability mode?
    Mark Gillespie, Sep 4, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    DP Guest

    > "Ivan" wrote:
    >

    >> Notice that Windows XPx64 is not in the list.
    >> --
    >> Ivan

    > Yes, I knew that - which is why I took the trouble to telephone Microsoft
    > here in the UK to see if it would work.

    I'm thinking the help person you spoke to was confused and gave you bad
    advice.
    If so, I think that's the first time that's ever happened in the history of
    product support!
    DP, Sep 4, 2006
  9. "DP" wrote:

    > I'm thinking the help person you spoke to was confused and gave you bad
    > advice.
    > If so, I think that's the first time that's ever happened in the history of
    > product support!

    LOL - I tried to get help from the US technicians, but they referred me to
    MS UK, very polite and very sincere, but obviously total idiots :)
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 5, 2006
  10. "Mark Gillespie" wrote:

    > Have you tried to run the INSTALLER in compatability mode?

    Tried that - gives me the same response - I need SP2 installed :((

    Worth a try though.

    Anybody know when SP2 will be released, I really need this applet for
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 5, 2006
  11. .. . .maybe not 'total'? I think they are working off some software -
    possibly even the MS Troubleshooting one, that's the idiot you confront!

    In reallity, they may not be allowed to 'think'?

    (did this help you?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 5, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    SP2 is supposed to be out by the end of the year. No guarantees, though.

    I don't think this will fix the problem, though. If it is looking
    specifically for *XP* SP2, chances are it'll throw up the same error because
    your running XP x64 (which is related more closely to Windows Server 2003
    than it is to XP), no matter which service pack you are using.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 5, 2006
  13. Actually, I was referring to running the installer in compatibility mode.
    But later I see you did try that, without success. In which case, it's a
    bug, IMNSHO, though the argument will be that they never claimed to support
    XP x64.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2006
  14. "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > Actually, I was referring to running the installer in compatibility mode.
    > But later I see you did try that, without success. In which case, it's a
    > bug, IMNSHO, though the argument will be that they never claimed to support
    > XP x64.

    I might have found a work around - I was exploring the nVidia software which
    I installed when I built the system - and found tucked away in a corner the
    abilty to load a monitor profile. On doing this, Photoshop happily reports
    that the monitor profile is loaded correctly and so I should be able to get
    the consistent colour management workflow which I need.

    Thanks to everybody who tried to help, your time is appreciated.

    Carol
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 5, 2006
  15. It won't be the same SP2 that the installer is looking for. The installer
    is apparently checking the versioning. If running the installer in compat
    mode doesn't do the trick then I am pessimistic it will run even if XP Pro
    x64 SP2 is installed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 5, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Ivan Guest

    I think nVidia will do a better job than Color Control Panel Apple can for your monitor.

    From South America, Greets.

    Ivan, Sep 5, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    > I'm trying to install Microsoft's Colour Control Applet - but it quits
    > saying
    > I need SP2, the version which I bought was at SP1 level.
    >
    > I've searched on the MS site but can't find it - anybody have a direct
    > link
    > to it (from previous messages here, I believe it is still in beta, but
    > that
    > should be fine).
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Carol

    The Color Control Applet does install on the U.S. version of WinXP x64 or
    Win2k3 x64, when run in WinXP compatibility mode, at least for me it does,
    as I have it installed on a couple Win2k3 x64and WinXP x64
    servers/workstations used for development.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your Friend!
    http://www.google.com
    Admiral Q, Sep 6, 2006
  18. Hi Carol,

    I'm sure you must be quite frustrated by now. I've read through this whole
    thread, and there's a lot of scanty advice given in a condescending and rude
    manner, that is either completely wrong, partially wrong, off-target, or
    incomplete. I hope to rectify some of that.

    First, I don't know if you need XP Pro SP2 to install Color panel or not.
    But it seems to be the only card playable by you.

    First, the reality:
    1) Windows XP Home/Professional 32-bit were built on the old Windows 2000
    base. Windows Professional x64 was built on the Windows Server 2003.
    Therefore, you can't relate the SP level between the two "types" of XP's.
    2) The downloadable Microsoft "trial" of XP Pro x64 already includes Windows
    Server SP1.
    3) In June '06 or so, MS released a beta-test only SP2 for Windows Server
    2003, in many different flavors, where on flavor was intended for XP Pro x64.
    4) This month, the Beta version of SP2 was "refreshed", probably with many
    fixes that were needed before testing was complete. MS calls this "Windows
    XP Pro x64 SP2 Beta Refresh 1".
    5) You can download and install x64's SP2 by going to connect.microsoft.com
    and following the link on the right side of the page for Windows Server 2003.
    Once you get there, or perhaps the next screen, you'll see "My
    Participation" on the left side of the screen, follow that link. You'll get
    to a Beta agreement to be read and signed by you (you'll need an MS Live! (or
    passport) to sign up). There are good reasons for the signed Beta agreement,
    including the face that you should not use this SP2 in any mission-critical
    system.
    6) When you get to the download page, scroll down it until you get to the
    SP2 Refresh 1 for XP Pro x64 and start the download from there.

    I hope this helps. I now have SP2 Refresh 1 downloaded and will try
    installing when I'm through with this email. Please provide me feedback
    about what I can add/change/remove in this post. Thank you.
    --
    Tom

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Sep 30, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    Jane C Guest

    Color Control Applet is NOT supported on XP Pro x64. 32 bit XP only.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Oct 1, 2006
  20. Tom,

    now I am confused. You find anything in this thread that is 'condenscenting'
    or 'rude'? This group - if you care to follow it a bit - is extremely
    informed, helpful and friendly! I dare say, 'Unique' on Internet. Carol even
    claims to have found a working solution, no?

    Please, tag along and help all of us, it will be appreciated. But read a bit
    more of what is going on here and pick up on the general 'tone-of-voice'
    here. It is really not as rough as it may seem when read out of context.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Oct 1, 2006