    Power Supply Thermaltake W0057, 500W

    This is my third Dual-Core AMD 64 system, never had to do anything special
    to get windows to detect second Core on the other systems.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Motherboard drivers, updated BIOS, or AMD drivers, in that order. First two
    come from Asus, last one direct off the AMD site.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 4, 2005

  3. > I know, I have seen something on this before, but cannot find the
    > thread on
    > it now.
    > I have the following system, I am putting together and Windows finds
    > and
    > lists the AMD Athlon 64 X2 +4800, but does not list both cores.

    Hmm strange, as you I have an AMD dual core (X2 +4400), which both XP64 and
    Win 2003 Server works flawlessly on. I.e. it finds both cores etc. Anyway,
    quite a while ago it was a discussion here about AMD drivers for windows
    for dual core processors. I googled and came up with this link:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpu64.exe

    See if it helps.

    Niels

    Niels Berglund, Oct 4, 2005
  4. See
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=637&kind=1

    Dual core processors need a BIOS update and many boards have been shipped
    with an old BIOS which will not recognise both cores.

    I think your motherboard needs at least BIOS 1.9 to recognise both cores.

    http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?board=28.0 is a good forum for problems
    with MSI boards with nVidia chipsets.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 4, 2005
  5. I am using BIOS V1.9, first thing I do anymore when building a system, soon a
    floppy works upgrade to latest BIOS.
    Thanks for the link to MSI's Form, been looking for it, but had not found it.

    Thanks Again,
    Roger

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Thanks for the Info CPU, but I think I have received a mismarked Processor
    from AMD.
    Down loaded and installed the 64 Bit dual core driver from AMD, but windows
    still showed single core.
    Downloaded and installed AMD's CPU Info program, It also reports AMD Athlon
    64 X2 +4800 with data on only one core. All data displayed is for Core 0, no
    listing for Core 1.

    Is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

    Installing the CPU driver from AMD did fix one other problem. Windows was
    reporting new hardware at startup and autoloading its drivers, then stating
    you had to restart windows to use the hardware. All without telling you what
    the hardware is, which is no problem if the drivers work. I had thought the
    CPU drivers were the problem, but MSI does not list any for the CPU. As,
    Windows was no detecting both cores. I started with problem I atlest new
    what the problems, turnes out both problems have same cause.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Roger

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Oct 4, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Did you update the BIOS like Charlie recommended also. Many MOBO require
    the latest BIOS to run the x2 properly

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    Rick Guest

    Try a utility like CPU-Z, http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

    CPU-Z should correctly identify you CPU and if both cores are
    functioning, it should give you a pull down to switch between the 2 cores.

    Rick, Oct 4, 2005